Kansas Wrestling

Novice Championships

Posted By: maverick

Novice Championships - 02/17/08 07:57 PM

Just wondering about some of the wrestling out in Derby. Great job by Derby wrestling to put this on. This is good for first year wrestlers, helps keep them hungry to learn more. Keep them numbers up. Give a shout out let me know how you did.
Posted By: Bones1768

Re: Novice Championships - 02/18/08 12:38 AM

Well this might sound sellfish, but I thought the tournament was ran very well. It started about 10 minutes late or so, but that wasn't too bad. My son was in the 6 and under 43 lb. section with 17 other wrestlers and it was easy to follow when it was his turn to wrestle. People up in the stands were able to watch from the stands without yelling at people down by the mats to sit down and the concession stand was excellent.
And probably the biggest thing about this tournament. It is about the kids. Myself and my wife would like to thank Kitch and Joe from the Salina Wrestling for helping my son throughout this tournament. I don't know if he has ever wrestled better. And he didn't use the snake, the cowcatcher, the headlock or others. He used great technique and oh by the way the competition was good enough that he didn't fall on anyone on his way to wiinning the 43lb. 6 and under.

Again, Thanks Kelly and Joe I owe you a couple!!

Steve
Posted By: kitch

Re: Novice Championships - 02/18/08 01:27 AM

Newdad you are welcome anytime, he looked great today! and i will take you up on "oweing me a couple" haha... the tournament was great and we had good competition in our bracket at 6U 46 got beat in the finals but it was a tough match and even tougher for my little guy to lose by 1. i think all first year kids should go to this novice tourney to get a feel for working through a bracket instead of being split into a,b,c etc... and seeing where they match up with other first year kids near year end. it wasn't an easy tournament as some might think. and the kids had fun!

kitch
Posted By: mcaugusta

Re: Novice Championships - 02/18/08 01:56 AM

I thought it was a great tournament. My daughter enjoyed some good wrestling. She took second at 10 and under 61-64lbs. It was some great competition for her. Good for her to get ready for girls state next weekend. Derby did a great job on the tournament.
Posted By: nix

Re: Novice Championships - 02/18/08 11:44 PM

yes it was a great tournament nix from scott city took 3rd would have been first if it was not for bowen and guillory from haysville lol darn those haysville boys great job boys.
Posted By: mom2newkid

Re: Novice Championships - 02/19/08 02:46 AM

Originally Posted By: nix
yes it was a great tournament nix from scott city took 3rd would have been first if it was not for bowen and guillory from haysville lol darn those haysville boys great job boys.

I agree those boys did a great job and thank you to you Nix, my son was so thrilled he got a pin even though he had no idea for what is was for. Thanks for sharing with him.
Posted By: nix

Re: Novice Championships - 02/19/08 03:51 AM

your welcome i am glad he liked it. maybe we will see you in anthony this weeked, not for sure we wrestle in ellsworth on saturday and either anthony or effingham on sunday later.
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums