Kansas Wrestling

More lies at Wichita

Posted By: bodhi

More lies at Wichita - 03/10/08 07:53 PM

I thought the building was suppose to be remodeled? I think someone announced that last year, wait. promised that the pavilion would be remodeled by the next year (lie).
isn't bad if u don't mind standing in line for an hour at the bathrooms or you don't mind not being able to see the matches..Oh and getting home at mid-night. not worth it
Posted By: Big Mac

Re: More lies at Wichita - 03/10/08 08:27 PM

Don't go then..
Posted By: aj75

Re: More lies at Wichita - 03/10/08 08:33 PM

well said! People choose which tournament they go to right????
Posted By: doug747

Re: More lies at Wichita - 03/10/08 08:36 PM

I believe it was over around 8:45 or so, is that correct?

I don't remember anyone saying the building was going to be remodeled, but I could be wrong. The bathroom line was not an hour long. I believe there was a 15 minute wait at times, and there is something supposed to be done about that. Actually, I heard a guy that works for a company that has portajohns mention that if they haven't done anything about the bathrooms by next year that he could arrange to get some portajohns delivered at the south end of the building.

Nota perfect tourney, much like every tourney, but the competition is why you're there, not the scenery. If you are trying to tell me that you asked, politely, someone to sit down or kneel down, and they refused, it is your fault for not getting security and making them. I catch myself not paying attention and standing in someone's way once in a while, and as soon as I hear someone holler, I know I'm guilty and squat down. Just like EVERY other tourney you go to.

No lies were told.
Posted By: CJA

Re: More lies at Wichita - 03/10/08 09:32 PM

You should of stayed home like the rest of us.I heard it was terrible.I can see all the ladies now waiting in line for the porta johns next year.
Posted By: VanFam7

Re: More lies at Wichita - 03/10/08 10:52 PM

Oh, there was never a line at the Ladies room that I saw. I was there from 8:00am until 9:00 pm. The long lines were only for the men's room.
Posted By: Jim Gaither

Re: More lies at Wichita - 03/11/08 12:28 AM

Originally Posted By: CJA
You should of stayed home like the rest of us.I heard it was terrible.I can see all the ladies now waiting in line for the porta johns next year.

????

1266 entries. Sounds like a lot of people really stayed home!!!
Posted By: bockman

Re: More lies at Wichita - 03/11/08 01:55 AM

best tournament for competition of the year in Kansas. I never had to wait more than 5 minutes for the bathroom. I was there at 7:30am until 9:30 pm and was well worth it. I ran my butt off helping with the mats. taping, pulling tape, mopping and moving tables before the finals. lots of help from parents and coaches. I had no problem seeing most of the matches. The only one I had trouble with was the 49lb 8 and under but hey when you have a match like that people want to watch and I think from the reaction of the crowd they got what they came to see and that was 2 exceptional wrestlers battling it out. I will be back in the future with or with out those that dont think its a good tournament.
Posted By: 4boysraslin

Re: More lies at Wichita - 03/11/08 02:01 AM

I agree with Bockman, great tourney. Yes the lines were a little long for the mens room and they do need to add a few portojohns but overall they ran a good tourney and it went fairly quick for as many wrestlers as were there. My only complaint is they are gouging us on concession prices. We will be back next year.
Posted By: dadcoach

Re: More lies at Wichita - 03/11/08 02:07 AM

Okay, I normally don't do any posting but after reading everything I would like to comment. I and the group that was with our Club had asked, I would say at least 12 times throughout the day for the people in front of us to sit down as we could not see. They would kneel down but within a couple minutes were right back up. I, myself did go to the head table not once but twice to ask for security to come and help us to get the people to sit down. I even offered to put on a security shirt and do it myself......but never once did security come down our way.

We went down for the competition and it was great!!! The facilities horrible. You can tell me to stay at home next year because that is exactly what we will be doing!! The last time we went to the Wichita Classic was 4 years ago and every since then having been attending the Western Kansas Classic in Hays. We hope that Hays will have it back at Gross next year and everybody that has voiced their complaints will give Western Kansas a chance!!!!
Posted By: mbmom

Re: More lies at Wichita - 03/11/08 03:53 AM

I agree. The western kansas classic was wonderful, a lot better than that one in wichita and truely hope hays will have it in the gross memorial. It doesn't cause you to get another job to finance the weekend and YOU CAN SEE you child wrestle. Also, isn't it wonderful to go to a tournament where there aren't coaches getting kicked out (but let back in) and fights? I don't want my kids seeing that especially since this is suppose to be a "national tournament". What other national tournaments are held in a horse barn and costs an arm and a leg?
Posted By: Mike's Mom

Re: More lies at Wichita - 03/11/08 12:10 PM

Yes, they did announce last year that they were going to remodel the barn.
Posted By: hardyhar

Re: More lies at Wichita - 03/11/08 01:20 PM

No lies at all. See the attached link. There were upgrades to the pavilion.

http://wichita.bizjournals.com/wichita/stories/2007/03/05/story12.html

Re: More lies at Wichita - 03/11/08 05:01 PM

please tell me that those crying about the facilities are not farmers. if so then shame on you. if not then let me ask you a question. do you drink water from the tap, a well or even in some cases bottled water. Having been in the job of testing water before and seeing what is in the water that we all drink I think this is small in comparison to that. The water is inside of your system and not just on your skin. so before you judge this tournament maybe you want to have your water tested. Yes water is filtered but it doesnt get every thing out of it. I dont think anyone has been sickened by that or have we.
Posted By: lets get it on

Re: More lies at Wichita - 03/11/08 05:28 PM

anyone sitting arounr the 16u mats got thier money worth. great matches in every division but to watch the caliber of wrestling from some of those 16u men was awesome. from high school state champs and others who placed at state losing, the total dominance of a couple of wrestlers, and some men on thier way to college the competition was awe inspiring to watch.

Re: More lies at Wichita - 03/11/08 05:33 PM

one young man at 155 at 16 and under that many of you might not have heard of is Evan Johnson. He is a home schooled kid that has only wrestled a couple of tournaments this year and got 2nd place. Tough kid to watch. Do not under estimate this kid. He knows his wrestling and is very intelligent. Cant remember who he wrestled in the finals but think he was from Goddard and won 1-0.

Re: More lies at Wichita - 03/11/08 05:35 PM

oh almost forgot. in his semi-final match he was taken down by one of those side by side moves and the other kid got 2 for takedown. would someone fill me in on this rule. I heard about it in the 4a state champion match and to me I saw no control by either wrestler but the kid was given 2 points. There were coaches that have been around for along time saying there was no control and dont know why he was given the takedown. He won the match but I guess I dont understand the side by side rule.
Posted By: Jim Gaither

Re: More lies at Wichita - 03/11/08 05:59 PM

Evan Johnson wrestled Ryan Houlden in the finals and lost 1 to 0. Evan has been successful at kids state and national tournaments for quite some time.

Re: More lies at Wichita - 03/11/08 06:17 PM

Yes he has. I have had the unfortunate pleasure of being his practice dummy a few times this season as a coach with his team. He doesnt get much of a workout with a 35 year old that hasnt wrestled since highschool but I do like to watch he and his dad get after it in practice. He has beat on us coaches all season cause we dont have another kid his age in our group. His dad is over 40 so to watch those two go at it is kinda fun. Not fun for me but anything to make this kid better. Hope to see this kids name at the top of the bracket at state this year.
Posted By: up4wrestling

Re: More lies at Wichita - 03/11/08 07:27 PM

We enjoyed our time at the Classic....placed over 6 kids thru out the age groups..with alot of close matches for the rest of our group. Watched alot of good matches...saw some bad refs...but that happens at all tourneys. Never waited in line for the bathrooms (womens that is :)) Never stood in line for concessions...never bought a single thing...now my husband bought one lg pepsi...but that was it! Would have to say that we complained more about the lack of hot water at our Hotel than about anything at the Classic!

We'll be back next year...
Posted By: Ell

Re: More lies at Wichita - 03/12/08 08:19 PM

you must have been at the Best Western in Park City! We had stayed there for several years and never had hot water! We were smart this year and drove 5 minutes in order to have a hot shower!
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums