Kansas Wrestling

good matches

Posted By: bockman

good matches - 04/05/10 01:22 AM

I was just looking at some of the past state placers. Just wondering what were some of the top notch match ups back in the day. did Neil Keller and Corey or Cary Jones ever wrestle a match. I know they were on the same teams but that match would come to mind. Also I saw back in 1981 there were 2 drydens who placed 1st and 2nd. were those 2 brothers or cousins. Who was Todd Laytons close matches against. I remember he lost to a kid from my school due to an illegal slam. I think that was his only highschool loss. I think. Also I see Jerry Dale wrestled for Independent Ark City. Were there 2 clubs back in his day lol.
Posted By: n7m13c99

Re: good matches - 04/05/10 03:32 AM

Doug Hoover and Earl Jones early 90's

Re: good matches - 04/05/10 12:59 PM

wasnt jones from Coffeyville. If so I remember watching him a couple times. He was very good.
Posted By: Pelland

Re: good matches - 04/05/10 01:07 PM

I think Corey and Cary Jones were from Kapaun.

Re: good matches - 04/05/10 01:36 PM

your right but Earl Jones I think was from Coffeyville. Who wins this match. E.K Franks or Johnny McCreary.

Re: good matches - 04/05/10 01:40 PM

I don't know who Johnny McCreary is, but E.K was a freak on his feat. My blind prediction is E.K.
Posted By: BLT

Re: good matches - 04/05/10 01:54 PM

Johnny and E.K. were both from Wellington. They were both beast.
IMO Johnny was way more technical but EK would be too strong.
Did you know what E.K. stood for?
Earnest Killer Franks
Its not a nickname!

Re: good matches - 04/05/10 02:01 PM

1/8/2010 11:09:41 AM
CLEVELAND - Delta State University head football coach Ron Roberts announced the addition of E.K. Franks to the Statesmen staff on Friday. Franks, a former University of Wisconsin and Kansas State University assistant, will coach the defensive line and coordinate strength and conditioning.

"I'm excited about adding E.K. Franks to the Statesmen football family," stated Roberts. "Coach Franks and I spent time together on the Texas State staff and I know the level of dedication he brings to the table for his players, fellow coaches and the university. I tried to hire him twice before, but this time it worked out. He will be a great addition to our staff."

Franks, who spent the past few years out of coaching in the private business sector, last worked on the staff of Barry Alverez and Bret Bielema at the University of Wisconsin from 2004-2006. At UW, Franks served as a defensive assistant, working with the defensive coordinator on opponent planning, defensive recruiting, player development and camp administration.

Prior to joining the Badgers staff, Franks served as the defensive line coach on the Texas State staff under then-defensive coordinator Ron Roberts. While under Franks' leadership, the Bobcats defensive line helped the unit rank third in the Southland Conference in pass defense, rush defense, turnovers and sacks in 2003.

The Wellington, Kan., native began his collegiate coaching career as a strength and conditioning coach for legendary Kansas State University head coach Bill Snyder. Franks collaboratively managed and supervised the strength programs for over 100 Wildcat football players and assisted with the training of over 100 Lady Wildcats from 2000-2001.

Aside from coaching, Franks also served as an academic counselor for Kansas State University Athletics from 2001-2003. He monitored and tracked the academic progress of Wildcat student-athletes, while providing academic mentoring and tutoring assistance for those in need. He developed and arranged academic workshops and provided KSU student-athletes with the resources they needed to succeed in the classroom.

His coaching career got its start as the defensive backs/strength coach at Heritage Hall High School in Oklahoma City, Okla. from 1996-2000. While at Heritage Hall, Franks helped raise money for a state-of-the-art weight facility, while coordinating the strength and conditioning efforts of HHHS student-athletes.

Franks attended the University of Oklahoma and Missouri State University before completing his bachelor's degree in education at the University of Central Oklahoma in 2000. He later earned his master's degree in adult education from Kansas State University in 2002.

While at OU, Franks was a standout wrestler under former Sooners coach Stan Abel. He would transfer to Missouri State, formerly Southwest Missouri State, where he would close his collegiate career as a defensive back for the Bears.

After graduating, Franks coached and trained athletes in the Oklahoma City, Okla., area as owner/personal fitness instructor of Franks Fitness from 1995-2000. He also worked as a strength instructor at St. Anthony Sports Science Center in Oklahoma City from 1993-1995.

An active community leader, Franks serves on the board of the Kansas-based non-profit S.A.F.E., Success Achieved in Future Environments, which helps mentor youth through athletics.

During his career, Franks has coached hundreds of successful student-athletes including: Wes Welker (New England Patriots), Terrance Newman (Dallas Cowboys), Darren Sproles (San Diego Chargers), Sheldon Williams (Atlanta Hawks), Nicole Ohlde (Minnesota Lynx), Laurie Koehn (Washington Mystics), Brian Aylor (New York Yankees) and Mitch Simons (Montreal Expos).

Re: good matches - 04/05/10 02:07 PM

ok here is another interesting match since we are talking about sooners. E.K Franks and Tyler Caldwell.

Re: good matches - 04/05/10 02:18 PM

Here is another point about E.K. and wrestlers from the past.
E.K. was so big! So strong! Its kind of not fair to compare some of these cause of just size. Back then they could cut all the weight they wanted.

Re: good matches - 04/05/10 02:21 PM

I thought "E" stood for Eugene.... I'm sure I'm wrong, but that's what I always thought.
Posted By: Beeson

Re: good matches - 04/05/10 02:31 PM

Originally Posted By: BLT
Here is another point about E.K. and wrestlers from the past.
E.K. was so big! So strong! Its kind of not fair to compare some of these cause of just size. Back then they could cut all the weight they wanted.

They still can and do.

Re: good matches - 04/05/10 02:45 PM

i thought you could only cut a certain percentage these days. ok here is another one but not sure anyone is in his category but aikin vs. Tristen Deshazer. Aiken vs. John Smith or Matt Hughes.
Posted By: J. Dale

Re: good matches - 04/05/10 02:49 PM

no not 2 clubs. got kicked off the team for not making weight at a tourny. and at that time you didn't have to be associated with a club to wrestle qualifiers. so i worked out on my own and made the weight and beat the kid they replaced me with at state.

Re: good matches - 04/05/10 02:55 PM

by the way the drydens are twin brothers. one of them is coaching at kapaun and the other at campus now. and the were faster than crap.

Re: good matches - 04/05/10 02:56 PM

Originally Posted By: J. Dale
no not 2 clubs. got kicked off the team for not making weight at a tourny. and at that time you didn't have to be associated with a club to wrestle qualifiers. so i worked out on my own and made the weight and beat the kid they replaced me with at state.

SLACKER !! wink

Re: good matches - 04/05/10 04:41 PM

Originally Posted By: bockman
i thought you could only cut a certain percentage these days. ok here is another one but not sure anyone is in his category but aikin vs. Tristen Deshazer. Aiken vs. John Smith or Matt Hughes.

Justing Thaw, State Champion from Newton beat Matt Hughes at High School Nationals their Sr. year. 1992 or 1993.

Re: good matches - 04/05/10 04:44 PM

I think Justin told me that the last time we played softball. That would be cool to say after watching him on ufc.

Re: good matches - 04/05/10 11:08 PM

ok who was the meanest kid in wrestling. I have a few in mind. Lance Hill from coffeyville, Matt Roark from Columbus, Lonnie Finney clearwater, Josh Gooch wellington and E.K Franks Wellington. I would throw myself in there but I was not as good as those guys but I will say if you werent bleeding after we wrestled then I must have been scared of you lol.
Posted By: Coach G

Re: good matches - 04/05/10 11:38 PM

Michael Bradley (WW) vs. Sean Bunch
Kenny Taylor Jr. (WW)vs. The Late Great Kion Karoma (W) (spelling) vs. Jeff Urban (NW) vs. Jeff Hernandez (AC) ( All were good matches - They all wrestled each other all of the time from kids through High School)

Mark Holly (WW)vs. Biddle (W)

Charles Knox Jr. (WW) vs. Cody Garcia (H)
Posted By: Coach G

Re: good matches - 04/05/10 11:41 PM

Here a HOT TUB Match up

Temore Terry Vs. Chase Nelson

What do you think of that one?
Posted By: n7m13c99

Re: good matches - 04/06/10 01:17 AM

Some good matches out west were Bryce Bahe Goodland, Corey Lira Ulysses and Joseph Beardsley Scott City. In kids they battled each other a lot. Some very good matches.
Posted By: Spexy

Re: good matches - 04/06/10 02:25 AM

Showing my age.... I wrestled E.K. Franks in high school, only 1 match but one I will never forget. E.K. hung around Andale a little bit back in the day, so we kind of knew each other, "He liked an Andale girl". We had a dual against Wellington, parents and all were there, we walked out on the mat, shook hands, and right before we started I told him,"make it look good my family is here" What a sport he waited until the 2nd period to pin me.........LOL. IMO. He was the best wrestler from 86-90 saw Creary a couple times but nothing like "KILLER" and a good sport to boot!!!
Posted By: HEADUP

Re: good matches - 04/06/10 09:23 AM

Originally Posted By: bockman
ok who was the meanest kid in wrestling. I have a few in mind. Lance Hill from coffeyville, Matt Roark from Columbus, Lonnie Finney clearwater, Josh Gooch wellington and E.K Franks Wellington. I would throw myself in there but I was not as good as those guys but I will say if you werent bleeding after we wrestled then I must have been scared of you lol.

brant peterson and rob cicero have to rank up there. cicero and hill had some real crazy battles each wrestled with broken parts (hand and nose) sr year. peterson was extremely strong for a 125 lber. if you didn't roll over, he tried to break you, jason hoover coffeyville, and ben lawrence chanute would attest.

Re: good matches - 04/06/10 01:24 PM

meanest kid. I would say Borror from Ark City. Pure aggression and unstoppable.
Posted By: djackson

Re: good matches - 04/06/10 06:44 PM

I am trying to get Finney to give me the tape of the match where he shut down the state tournament so I can put it on here. I seen it a long time ago but I bet everyone would like to see it.
Posted By: sportsfan02

Re: good matches - 04/06/10 07:31 PM

Speaking on behalf of those that were there, no we wouldn't!

Re: good matches - 04/06/10 07:32 PM

jon white columbus vs. matt roark columbus or Johnny McCreary wellington. Mccreary vs. Hernandez from Ark City. oh hell just take all the 3 and 4 time state champions that were at the same weight and have a tournament with them all. anyone want to do that like they do on the discovery channel lol. that would be kinda fun. no beeson we dont want you making up these matches so you will win either lol.

Re: good matches - 04/06/10 07:35 PM

McCreary beat Beeson 6-2 in the Derby finals of 1990.

Hernandez beat McCreary at the East West Sr. matches.

Re: good matches - 04/06/10 08:12 PM

how old was mccreary. was he same age as you and hernandez or a year younger or older. hernandez graduated in 89 didnt he.

Re: good matches - 04/06/10 08:21 PM

McCreary, Chris Hernandez and I all graduated in 1991. Jerome Hernandez was in 89.

Re: good matches - 04/06/10 09:04 PM

ok here is one. spexarth or the clown down on the corner at god fathers lol. sorry spexy that was too easy

Re: good matches - 04/06/10 09:11 PM

jon white and bobby lashley were roommates in college it think, they were team natl champs. hell jon demonstrates moves at practice at 110%, he and gooch were the most aggressive that i have seen in hs.

Re: good matches - 04/06/10 09:15 PM

joe renfro was nasty too, i remember usa kids maybe 14u, he dominated 4x champ devin bahm. bahm ripped off some of renfro's ear, he taped it back on and kept at him. blast double here i come. i think joe would wrestle anywhere anytime, pavement, gravel, i wouldn't matter.

Re: good matches - 04/07/10 12:42 AM

there was also that jones kid from labette. that guy was mean. I think he even won a tough man contest in Joplin our freshman year at pitt state. i think it was jimmy jones. also matt hallum from coffeyville was pretty mean.

Re: good matches - 04/07/10 01:41 AM

jimmy jones wasn't mean he was nuts.

Re: good matches - 04/07/10 01:48 AM

did jones and franks ever wrestle. that might have been an interesting match. ok maybe it would have been more like mma or a fight than a wrestling match.
Posted By: Spexy

Re: good matches - 04/07/10 03:36 AM

O.k. smart ass. At my age I will bet on the clown. Love to wrestle but the bones do not agree in the morning. You should remember that from wrestling Johnson at greater gold practices. God it sucks getting old. Lol!!!!!!!

Re: good matches - 04/07/10 04:08 AM

I think Josh Gooch coaches football in Hutch these days.
I went to school with him and he could go from zero to evil and back in the blink of an eye.
I watched him fight a kid after school one day and the first move was a jump kick to the face and the second was him helping the kid up and to his car!!!!
True Story! lol

Re: good matches - 04/08/10 12:54 AM

sonny manly from chanute vs. reynolds independence were some very good matches. i think sonny was the last big 8 champ with nebraska to.

Re: good matches - 04/08/10 12:55 AM

can anyone tell me if any other school has had 4 different state champions 4 years in a row at the same weight other than chanute. I know they did it with david gossett, sonny manly, dan smedra and todd brandon from 85, 86, 87, 88.
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums