Kansas Wrestling

Looking for USJOC Dual Wrestlers

Posted By: CMB

Looking for USJOC Dual Wrestlers - 12/20/10 07:40 PM

We are putting together a dual team for the USJOC Dual on Sunday following the JOC tourny in Oklahoma City. You do not need to be in the tourny to wrestle in the duals. Info on the duals are on the OK youth web page. We are looking for young men for the 90,95,120,130,140,160,185 and Hwt This is a 15 and under dual, so in these upper weights we need to find older boys to fill these spots.
There will probably be up to 12-14 teams, so you will get 5-7 matches on Sunday. If you have any questions, contact Dal Eck at (316)641-4913 or Chris Bowen at (316)992-8060.

Re: Looking for USJOC Dual Wrestlers - 12/20/10 10:06 PM

This will be a great opportunity to get in some quality matches. Oklahoma will have at least 8 teams. Tx will have two, Arkansas will have one, Kansas may have a second team and hopfully Missouri will have one. If you have never wrestled in a dual format, it is a lot of fun and you will meet many new friends. Come on big guys and let's fill this team up.

Re: Looking for USJOC Dual Wrestlers - 12/23/10 02:37 AM

I am still looking for some young men for the dual team. Here is who we have so far:
40-Monte Guerrero
45-open
50-McCrackin
55-Spangler
60-Pirl
65-Dryden
70-Moss
75-Eck
80-Bowen
85-Moses
90-Prieto
95-Deshazer
100-open
110-Adcock
120-Haskins
130-Turner--James call me
140-Castleberry
160-open
185-open
Hwt-open

If we cant't fill these pretty quick we are gooing to ask Oklahoma kids for help. I know there are some down there that would love to get in some quality matches on a good team.
Posted By: doug747

Re: Looking for USJOC Dual Wrestlers - 12/23/10 02:18 PM

How much is Tommy Marquez weighing nowadays?
Posted By: haskins6

Re: Looking for USJOC Dual Wrestlers - 12/23/10 03:23 PM

How much is it and do parents have to pay to get in. Garrett haskins is 120. Just have to see if we could afford t stay another day

Re: Looking for USJOC Dual Wrestlers - 12/23/10 03:58 PM

The entry fee is $300. There are 20 men on the team, so $15 apiece. There are 9 teams so they will have two pools and then a bracket. It should be alot of fun. I'm thinking we will be out of there by 5. You have to be in the tourny to wrestle the dual. We would sure be happy to put Garrett on the team if you want to.

Re: Looking for USJOC Dual Wrestlers - 12/23/10 04:01 PM

Doug I talked to Tommy at Derby and he didn't know if he wanted to go. I saw on the entries that there are a lot of kids entered in these weights from Kansas, I don't understand why they wouldn't want to wrestle. Maybe they don't read the forum, so if anybody out there knows of some of these kids going, please give them a heads up.

Re: Looking for USJOC Dual Wrestlers - 12/23/10 04:31 PM

It is another night at a hotel,and $15, but the experience is well worth it. Figure out how the dual format works, meet and get to know some of the other kids from around the state, and get to wrestle some tough kids from other states.

I HIGHLY recommend you getting your kids involved in this type of event.

Doug

Re: Looking for USJOC Dual Wrestlers - 12/23/10 04:39 PM

I will let you know by saterday if that's ok. It sounds like a good time. He wants to just got to convince the old laidy
Posted By: Bowen

Re: Looking for USJOC Dual Wrestlers - 12/23/10 08:56 PM

Is 130lb open , Zach Bowen might be want to .
Posted By: Kit Harris

Re: Looking for USJOC Dual Wrestlers - 12/23/10 11:06 PM

What is the date? I have some JH upperweights who may be interested

Re: Looking for USJOC Dual Wrestlers - 12/24/10 12:16 AM

The dual is Jan.2nd in OKC. You have to be entered in USJOC tournament on Dec.31st and Jan.1st to wrestle in the duals

Re: Looking for USJOC Dual Wrestlers - 12/24/10 12:18 AM

We have Jaymez Turner at 130. I need to get a for sure on that from James Turner. If he can't make it Zack is more than welcome to wrestle.

Re: Looking for USJOC Dual Wrestlers - 12/29/10 07:07 PM

We have some changes in the line-up.

40-Guerrero
45-open
50-McCrackin
55-Spangler
60-Ashton/Wallace
65-Dryden
70-Moss
75-Deshazer/Trowbridge
80-Bowen
85-Prieto
90-Seth Graves
95-Deshazer
100-Triston Star
110-Adcock
120-Haskins
130-Zack Bowen?also have Triston's buddy
140-Castleberry
160-open
185-possible Jake Mammen
Hvt-open

We will pick up some kids from Oklahoma to fill these other spots. Make sure they mark the actual weight on your arm at weigh-in. My number is (316)992-8060 Chris Bowen. Give me a call when we get down there and confirm you are still wrestling.
Thanks and lets kick some butt.
Posted By: Paratroop

Re: Looking for USJOC Dual Wrestlers - 12/30/10 02:28 PM

Good Luck Team Kansas! Make sure to give us some updates!

Re: Looking for USJOC Dual Wrestlers - 12/30/10 05:20 PM

We have some changes in the line-up.

40-Guerrero
45-open
50-McCrackin
55-Spangler
60-Ashton/Wallace
65-Dryden
70-Moss
75-Deshazer/Trowbridge
80-Bowen
85-Prieto
90-Seth Graves
95-Deshazer
100-Triston Star
110-Adcock
120-Haskins
130-Zack Bowen/ Alan Clothier
140-Castleberry
160-open
185-possible Jake Mammen
Hvt-open

Thanks to all that wanted to wrestle in this dual. We will see you down there this weekend.

Re: Looking for USJOC Dual Wrestlers - 01/01/11 05:26 PM

Sorry but Tristan Star and Alan Clothier won't be competing with Team Kansas. Tristan has to get home Sunday to celebrate his birthday party with his family from out of state.

This was one dad didn't try to challenge.

Good luck Team KS. Keep us updated!

Re: Looking for USJOC Dual Wrestlers - 01/03/11 12:03 AM

Team Kansas is wrestling for 3rd right now, and are ahead 31-18. Lost a close dual to Edmond that kept us from wrestling for 1st. This is all I've heard.

Re: Looking for USJOC Dual Wrestlers - 01/03/11 04:42 AM

We were 4th. Had a good time
Posted By: M Graves

Re: Looking for USJOC Dual Wrestlers - 01/03/11 02:01 PM

Thanks to Team Kansas for letting Seth wrestle for you yesterday at the team duals He, as well as I, met some good kids and parents and thanks from both of us.
Matt Graves

Re: Looking for USJOC Dual Wrestlers - 01/03/11 04:44 PM

Hopefully these duals will garner more interest next year. This being the first year, very few people knew about them. It is a great way to get more mat time, and wrestle the team dual format.
Posted By: jeffroberts

Re: Looking for USJOC Dual Wrestlers - 01/03/11 05:15 PM

I think the Liberty Nationals is doing a Dual the second day this year also. The duals are a trend and a good money maker as the mats are already set up.
Posted By: Deucesmom

Re: Looking for USJOC Dual Wrestlers - 01/03/11 06:38 PM

Had a great time watching the kids for Team Kansas. We were so close to wrestling for 1st but came up short. If we didn't have some of the higher weight classes open, who knows what could have happened. Great job boys.

Re: Looking for USJOC Dual Wrestlers - 01/03/11 07:44 PM

I want to thank all the wrestlers that competed on the dual team. I would also like to thank Boo Dryden and his team of coaches. Coach Prieto and coach Trowbridge were also a huge help. The boys competed very well and ended up taking fourth. We were missing a lot of Kansas kids in the upper weights, so I would like to thank the Oklahoma kids that were on the team. All of the teams there had high school boys in their upper weights. So, until Kansas can compete in tournaments during high school season we will continue to fall behind in this area. Again, thanks to all the kids and the parents that stuck around for a long week-end and will see you at the next tourny.
Posted By: KMac

Re: Looking for USJOC Dual Wrestlers - 01/03/11 10:37 PM

Chris,
Thanks for putting this together. I think all of the boys had a blast and so did the parents. It makes for a long weekend, but I think both the wrestlers and the coaches prefer this format to the regular tournament format.
Personally, we have now competed in the dual format twice and it has been awesome both times. We can't wait for Elementary Duals in April and anything else that might come up between now and then.
The Edmond Black team ended up winning the duals. We lost to them 48-41 in the Semis and the outcome could have been much different if not for the disadvantage that KS has at the higher weights with our current restrictions at the middle and high school level. It was still a lot of fun though. Thanks for having us and lets do it again soon.

Kevin McCracken

Re: Looking for USJOC Dual Wrestlers - 01/04/11 02:20 AM

As I sat there watching the USJOC 15u division compete, I was thinking how tough that tourney would be if KSHSAA didn't have their heads in the a$$es, and would "allow" our Kansas kids to compete. And all of you whiners that argue that a kid shouldn't miss his HS team's tourney, to go to a tougher tourney, don't have that argument here, as it is New Year's weekend, and high schoolers aren't doing anything that weekend.

I will be cocky and say that Kansas kids could/would have won 1/3 to 1/2 of the 15u brackets at USJOC, if our 15u HS kids were able to wrestle it. No offense to the OK kids, it is just a fact that Kansas has 15u eligible kids capable of winning that tourney.
Posted By: KMac

Re: Looking for USJOC Dual Wrestlers - 01/04/11 03:15 AM

And to Doug's point, the duals could have turned out a lot different too if we had a bigger pool to draw from in our own state.

Re: Looking for USJOC Dual Wrestlers - 01/04/11 12:44 PM

Amen.
Posted By: Hossus

Re: Looking for USJOC Dual Wrestlers - 01/04/11 08:48 PM

I agree we are shooting ourselves in the foot on this one. Time to lobby for changes in KS athletics. It also doesn't help that we've run most of the bigger kids out of wrestling due to weight restrictions at the lower age groups. Maybe the new change of wrestling up an age group at state will help that. But it may take a few years to see it's impact.

Re: Looking for USJOC Dual Wrestlers - 01/06/11 03:34 AM

Originally Posted By: doug747
As I sat there watching the USJOC 15u division compete, I was thinking how tough that tourney would be if KSHSAA didn't have their heads in the a$$es, and would "allow" our Kansas kids to compete. And all of you whiners that argue that a kid shouldn't miss his HS team's tourney, to go to a tougher tourney, don't have that argument here, as it is New Year's weekend, and high schoolers aren't doing anything that weekend.

I'd have to say I agree and I hope with the right direction and the ear of the right people, our KS HS kids could go compete in their down time.

As far as a father who sent his boy to USJOC, who turned 14 the day before the tourney, it was a very good experience for him. He was able to wrestle some HS kids, to include a Fargo All American, and I am hoping that the mat time with solid kids will pay off down the road. If you have the opportunity to send your wrestler down there, do it. I wish I was there to see him wrestle. Also I apologize he wasn't able to wrestle for the Team KS dual team, sounds like you guys represented big time!

PS: A huge thanks to the SEK coaches for taken care of our Lawrence boys! We owe u!
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums