Kansas Wrestling

tulsa nationals

Posted By: bockman

tulsa nationals - 01/21/11 03:13 AM

just want to thank them for letting us the number one seed right off the bat. guess placing 5th last year and having a 16-1 record sent in warrants that. wow is all i can say. not sure how the rest of the kids from kansas got seeded but this is crap. i know seeds dont always mean anything but would love to be on the seeding council when they all come to kansas. good luck to all the kansas kids wrestling.
Posted By: sportsfan02

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/21/11 06:10 AM

You probably need to post that on the Oklahoma board.
Posted By: Mike Dipman

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/21/11 08:56 AM

I guess they extented my nephew the same hospitality!
Posted By: Jack Otero

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/21/11 09:20 AM

Good thing they have a mandatory challenge for second, unlike Kansas!!! I really like that rule at the Roller tourneys, not only is it an extra match if you travel 8hrs or fly in you will get the place you earn. We got the
3rd seed with a 36-5 record but attended Amarillo and Kickoff and place high at each. Good Luck KS boys!!!
Posted By: BLT

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/21/11 11:21 AM

From what I've been told is they seed the top 4 based on the number of WOW pts they have or last years ranking.
Then everyone else is a draw unless its a BIG bracket and they seed 6 or 8.
But it always seems that the OK kids do very well in that draw.
As for thr challenge... I think you can only challenge if u have not already wrestled.
So if Brady gets 3rd and his 1 seed takes 2nd, Brady can not challenge!
Good luck to all the KS wrestlers!

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/21/11 12:02 PM

Exactly I wasn't clear but if that is the case the match is mandatory.

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/21/11 12:32 PM

Originally Posted By: BLT
But it always seems that the OK kids do very well in that draw.

Exactly! It has always been that way and always will be.
Posted By: doug747

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/21/11 02:25 PM

They do place a lot of emphasis on you participating in ALL the 3 big tourneys, Kickoff (not as big as it used to be), Tulsa Nats, and Reno. The first couple of years that Levi went, we attended all 3, the 3rd year we started getting seeded, after lots of those "good draws against the 1 or 2 seed first match". Jack Roller makes you earn your seeds, no doubt, but I also believe those seeding meetings are open, so the OK guys are able to attend and give input. Take it as a compliment, maybe the OK guys put Brady against the 1 seed, thinking he has a shot at taking him out.

Keep on taking him down, you'll eventually earn some respect. No doubt those tourneys are on the path to having a tough HS kid. Not many kids that are worth a hoot, have skipped those tourneys, and still turned out very good. Life lessons down there. The other thing you'll notice, as you feel the hosing you are getting, is slowly but surely, your kid is getting better.......

Rest assured my youngest will start that journey next year, take his beatings, and keep on chugging away, whether he thinks it is doing him any good or not.

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/22/11 02:51 AM

ok so brady got thumped pretty good. didnt like the seed but we have a chance to get more matches this way. too bad we have to wrestle kansas kids back to back and put each other out. was talking to a couple of ks coaches today about going as team kansas next year. i know alot of people wont want to but those that do we may be able to make it work. sometimes you have to put your team pride aside and have some kansas pride. one coach even said he may start a team next year called kansas pride elite and all you have to do is go to one practice a week to be part of that team at big tournaments like tulsa nationals from what i hear. we couldnt even get a coaches pass because we only took 3 kids. what a money making machine that tournament is.

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/22/11 09:27 PM

Greater Gold will place 4 wrestlers in the top 4!! 1 in the finals! Drew Otero in Championship, Chance Rodriguez 3rd/4th, Cagen Wallace 3rd/4th, and Austin Mages 3rd/4th!! Brought 16 placing 4 not bad at the Toughest Tournament in the World!
Posted By: MacLaughlin

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/23/11 01:45 AM

Congrats to all Kansas boys and special congrats to
Ark City Wrestlers.

Kael Pappan - 1st
Chevy Sartin - 4th
Gabe Buckbee - 4th
Trig Tennant - 5th
Jake Beeson - 6th

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/23/11 01:48 AM

Congrats to Brett Moon, 12u 100 lbs, 4th place finish. His first Tulsa Nats podium trip.

Sounds like the Kansas boys held their own again. Two of our other kids got 6 or 7 matches in before falling a little short of the podium.
Posted By: Chase

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/23/11 02:29 AM

any place to find brackets/results?
Posted By: bubbasmom77

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/23/11 04:36 AM

Goddard wrestling club-
Jason Henschel- 8&under 58- 5th
Alek Martin- 8&under 64 - 5th
Both 1st trip to Tulsa nationals!
Logan Pirl - 10&under 58- 2nd
His 4th time to Tulsa and 1st time placing!
Good Job to all Kansas wrestlers!
Posted By: Paratroop

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/23/11 05:39 AM

Lawrence Sunflower Kids WC:

Alan Clothier 12u 130 lbs: 2nd place

Congrats Al!
Posted By: allaroundwrestli

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/23/11 06:04 AM

Mason Turner makes it back to back Tulsa National Championships. The 12-64 bracket was
2- Aaron Black (Virgina)
3- Nathan Maas (Missouri)
4- Boo Dryden
5- Tanner Hitchcock
6- Cody Phippen

Way to go Kansas boys, making a great showing 4 out of 6 spots.
Posted By: effwhyeye

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/23/11 01:21 PM

Any results for 15U 108?
Posted By: haskins6

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/23/11 03:53 PM

Yea Garrett got the number 1 seed to. We are going to have to cut wait or start lifting. Did ok though got 4 matches in. He did get into the 3rd with the top seed.
Posted By: lateral drop

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/23/11 06:02 PM

Columbus Wrestling Club
Jace Mcdown 12u 120# 6th Zack Roark 12u 130# 3rd Sam Roark 8u 70# Champion Congrats!
Posted By: Paratroop

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/23/11 09:15 PM

Originally Posted By: effwhyeye
Any results for 15U 108?

From what I watched on top 3:

1st, Pico from CA
2nd, OK kid
3rd, Issac Dulgarian

Issac lost to the OK kid. Pico was pretty impressive. Every time I looked to see what the score was, he'd be up 20-10, including the finals.
Posted By: Beeson

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/23/11 11:31 PM

Originally Posted By: bockman
ok so brady got thumped pretty good. didnt like the seed but we have a chance to get more matches this way. too bad we have to wrestle kansas kids back to back and put each other out. was talking to a couple of ks coaches today about going as team kansas next year. i know alot of people wont want to but those that do we may be able to make it work. sometimes you have to put your team pride aside and have some kansas pride. one coach even said he may start a team next year called kansas pride elite and all you have to do is go to one practice a week to be part of that team at big tournaments like tulsa nationals from what i hear. we couldnt even get a coaches pass because we only took 3 kids. what a money making machine that tournament is.

The kids have to practice in the same room 2 nights a week to be considered on the same team and be able to score points for that team. A couple of other questions...where would the trophy be housed? Who decides which coaches get passes? Does it really matter?

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/23/11 11:34 PM

Originally Posted By: sportsfan02

Please don't. The Okies already think Kansans cry too much...and they are probably right. Just go and wrestle...if you don't like how they are treating you, don't go. The seeds come off of how you do in The Roller series tournaments. If you want a better seed, go to more of their tournaments.

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/24/11 12:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Beeson
Originally Posted By: sportsfan02

Please don't. The Okies already think Kansans cry too much...and they are probably right. Just go and wrestle...if you don't like how they are treating you, don't go. The seeds come off of how you do in The Roller series tournaments. If you want a better seed, go to more of their tournaments.

That was my point. It does little good to complain but especially on a Kansas board. It is what it is, get used to it.

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/24/11 12:05 AM

it may not matter to you chad but lots of others are talking about it so it must matter to some. i just think it would be awesome to wrestle as a team kansas at a tournament that size. if the tournaments didnt cost so much maybe i would go to more of them. its kind of hard for me to help support all the local tournaments and do all the traveling to get to all these tournaments and pay for my 3 daughters to play volleyball and basketball. so those of you that dont have 5 kids probably can do it but im not made of money. i do my own fundraising in the summer just to do what i can for all 5 of my kids. the trophy thing not too worried about. maybe donate it to the kansas hall of fame i guess. coaches passes would probably need to be given to those teams that can host an open wed night. its just a thought nothing in stone. i will be going back every year for the competition not for the way they host us or anything else. I would however take my son as part of our team or as team kansas either way.

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/24/11 12:15 AM

so if chad is right about 2 days a week then it would be almost impossible to do anyways. i was told it was 1 night a week so not sure how that works. anyways good job to all those kansas kids that did place. it takes more than just wrestling some times to place at that tournament. sometimes it just comes down to which kid wants it more. my kid just didnt want it this year and we will take more than 3 kids next year and hope to get back into placing. we will also be going to the kick off and joc and hopefully amarillo.

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/24/11 12:18 AM

one last question before i leave it alone. if you have 5 okie kids in the same bracket that have never wrestled in a kansas tournament do you think they would bitch if they were all stuck against each other right off the bat.
Posted By: djackson

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/24/11 12:34 AM

Not to change the subject but what ever happened to the Lucas Baker and Beeson match?

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/24/11 12:36 AM

Originally Posted By: bockman
one last question before i leave it alone. if you have 5 okie kids in the same bracket that have never wrestled in a kansas tournament do you think they would bitch if they were all stuck against each other right off the bat.

Yes they would! But then again, they wouldn't come up here to wrestle either.

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/24/11 01:22 AM

Originally Posted By: djackson
Not to change the subject but what ever happened to the Lucas Baker and Beeson match?

Im not sure....was training like a mad man...and then nothing. Maybe something can be set up in Salina?

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/24/11 01:37 AM

Scott
I think the team KS thing is a good idea. Don't be so quick to give up on it just cause a few ppl don't think its a great idea.
The form says 2 nights a week but here are the loop holes...
It does not say how many weeks a month so if you had one week a month that you all worked out 2 nites in that week then I would think (according to their definition) you would be covered...
Or
If there was a group of team ks coaches and the kids were able to work out with one of those coaches 2 nights a week then according to their rules you would be covered.
I would suggest a team tee shirt to be worn by all members.
The exact wording is
"I agree that all are on my team and not an all star pick up. I understand that if they do not practice at least 2 nights per week with my team that my whole team could be disqualified from the all team competition"
I say try it and the worst that could happen would you would be out your $10 team fee and some tee shirts.
Posted By: Ben Dover

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/24/11 02:15 AM

Yes, lets skirt the rules and conveniently interpret the wording of the tournament policies so we can put together an “All Star” Team(Note! This would be a “Team” in name only, most of the kids would not even know their teammates or coaches). Sounds like a Great idea!
Posted By: Travis Phippen

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/24/11 02:31 AM

Here are some videos of Cody Phippen in the 12U 64lb bracket:
First Round
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4RMlfo3uyo
2nd Round
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gDYPJXs2DE
Quarter Finals
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wDCjzbP0os
Semis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeXdsWUWKY0

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/24/11 02:55 AM

Hey Ben
I think that is how PWA and a few others do it. I'm sure Tony Purler don't coach all those kids twice a week.
Posted By: Hitchcock

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/24/11 03:07 AM

Tell Cody "He did a really good job". He will know what I am talking about.

Tanner

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/24/11 03:14 AM

Plain and Simple putting together an All Star Team would be CHEATING. I don't care if this guy is doing it or that guy is doing it, it's still wrong and shouldn't be done. What kind of example do we set when we teach our kids that Cheating is ok, if you don't get caught? I don't want to be any part of that "TEAM KANSAS".

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/24/11 03:21 AM

Who's in for RENO?!?!? That was such a great tournament that I just can't wait until the next!! My boy made the finals and got 3rd!! I love the challenge for second. Really! Proud of him but a lot of lessons were learned. Glad to learn these at the ripe ole age of 7!!

To the point of an earlier post by Scott: One thing to consider is that most of the top boys from Miron, Overtime, Pinnicle, and PWA wrestle year around!! Talked to several coaches from these teams and that's their edge. Heart, wanting it more, and seeds come from drilling/wrestling year around! Training for wrestling during football, and baseball season is what it takes. Several of my boys devoted 1 to 2 hrs per week in the off season to just drilling. Yes we played football and baseball but new we wanted to improve and not get out of wrestling shape.

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/24/11 04:40 AM

If you open it to anyone its not an All Star Team!
Just like Team Kansas for the Elementry School Duels!
I have just come to realize that if it isn't Beesons idea then its not a good idea.
Chad
When was the last time you said something positive about people coming up with NEW ideas?
Posted By: bubbasmom77

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/24/11 05:21 AM

I am fully against a team Kansas going to Tulsa or any of the big tourneys like that. What kind of win would that be? It's just a bunch of kids from the same state competing at the same tournament. Nobody cheering anybody on no team concept. I can see dual teams being made up of Kansas boys because your all together at the same time and cheering each other on. My son got a three seed and placed second because of hard work and good wrestling not because of anything else. We had to buy coaches passes cause we only took 4 kids and we didn't win a team trophy but what we did win was great wrestling experience ,some great family and friend bonding time and some good life lessons. I would not trade any of that for a team trophy and a cheater status.
Mike pirl
Posted By: RichardDSalyer

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/24/11 10:37 AM

Originally Posted By: BLT
When was the last time you said something positive about people coming up with NEW ideas?
This is not a NEW idea and has been bantered back and forth for years. What is new is this years discussion.
Posted By: ReDPloyd

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/24/11 10:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Paratroop
Lawrence Sunflower Kids WC:

Alan Clothier 12u 130 lbs: 2nd place

Congrats Al!

Great job Alan. Looking forward to having you on the LHS team in a couple of years.

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/24/11 11:57 AM

Lots of ideas on this board are good: Shortening the Season, Dropping Weights with few competitors, Elementary Duals, 6 and Under State, Satellite Weigh-ins, and there are several others. But, Cheating to try and make Kansas look good is not one of them. Read the sentence, it doesnt even make sense. Looking Good and Cheating just dont belong in the same sentence.

And if you have to "figure out a way to make it work" its probably cheating. Those Big Trophies go to Big Programs that bring alot of kids. Not to small towns that bring 3-10 kids.
Posted By: schroeder

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/24/11 01:13 PM

It could be a start to something big. Start out small then grow. How is it cheating when there is no plan in place..only ideas. Yes this could work esp for thise who do and like to wrestle.."train" year around. If it grew big enough and with the possibilities then yiu could even get a few $$$ postitons(coaches) they could go to different "satillite" practice locations. Will it take effort...yes. Will it take a handful of people with open minds to work out details...yes. Look at the Team PWA and Team Miron and Team Altitude and Team Scorpion, etc to name a few. Get it big enough then you can have the possible of year around trainging and clinic hostings that could fund this and so forth. We have alot on knowledgable coaches and very talented wrestlers just in the southern part of the state. I am sure with some thought and lil bit of research and drive this could happen. It will take "positive" effort and the bashers please stay quiet...you against ..fine..dont be a part of it.
Posted By: Jamie Davis

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/24/11 02:06 PM

I spent last weekend down in OK. Make no mistake about it these parents and coaches of OK wrestlers will give thier wrestlers any and all advantages that they possibly can. It is not cheating. It is merely allowing every opportunity for the best possible outcome. You have to open your mind to how you can give your wrestler every opportunity to be successful. And sometimes that means gathering of talent to represent Kansas wrestlers. The wrestlers that go to Tulsa and do well from OK have been given everything they need to succeed. To some this would be to much for OK wrestlers it is a way of life. The KS wrestlers that went and placed well hat's off to ya you have wrestled the best out there and won.
Posted By: luellen

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/24/11 02:40 PM

Two years ago at tulsa nationals my youngest boy Isaiah had to wrestle #1 seed first match & won by 1 point. He took 3rd at the kick off so he got robbed in the seeding. He went on to win the bracket. My point is you have to beat #1 seed to win any way. I agree that ks kids get jacked in the seeding at tulsa. But the only difference in your seed is WHEN you wrestle a high seed. It dont get out of or around any thing. You are still going to have to beat the best in the bracket to get what you want any way. The best 6 wrestlers place. Seed dont effect who gets on podium.

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/24/11 07:01 PM

Originally Posted By: schroeder
It could be a start to something big. Start out small then grow. How is it cheating when there is no plan in place..only ideas. Yes this could work esp for thise who do and like to wrestle.."train" year around. If it grew big enough and with the possibilities then yiu could even get a few $$$ postitons(coaches) they could go to different "satillite" practice locations. Will it take effort...yes. Will it take a handful of people with open minds to work out details...yes. Look at the Team PWA and Team Miron and Team Altitude and Team Scorpion, etc to name a few. Get it big enough then you can have the possible of year around trainging and clinic hostings that could fund this and so forth. We have alot on knowledgable coaches and very talented wrestlers just in the southern part of the state. I am sure with some thought and lil bit of research and drive this could happen. It will take "positive" effort and the bashers please stay quiet...you against ..fine..dont be a part of it.

Put a club together then. Putting a club together was never mentioned. Pretty sure everyone was wanting to get a bunch of kids together, give them a T-shirt, say they practiced together once a week and wrestle just at these big tournament. I would be all for it if it was a legitimate club. This same club would wrestle under the same club name at Salina and State also. All of you "positive people" could shut this basher up by putting your money where your mouth is and STARTING THIS SUPER CLUB. Someone step forward! Prove me wrong...I dare you.

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/24/11 07:27 PM

You dont need a specific club with exclusive members.

Take 3 or 4 clubs and use them a satillite training locations and as long as a member of this TEAM'S coaching staff was present at that practice and people practiced at any one of these sites or for anyone of these coaches twice a week then they could travel under your national team name.
This coaching staff would be the ones to get the coaches passes!
Make it open to anyone that attends the national tournaments and that way its not and ellite or all star team.
Just coaches and kids from the same area that wrestle under the same banner.

But like it was stated it would take some coaches with open minds and a common desire to put this together.

And even if someone made a super club would it really stop you from being so negative Chad?? And if you did stop being so negative then it just wouldnt be as exciting around here!! lol

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/24/11 08:40 PM

I would say that as clubs, we need to start taking more advantage of the open room nights that numerous clubs are hosting during the week, before we start talking about putting together a Team Kansas for Tulsa.......

If we can't get together for a little live wrestling once per week, how are we going to get together, and have a team all agree about what technique is going to be taught at Team Kansas for Tulsa practices?

I think our technique is the hot ticket, Charlie KNox thinks his is, Bryce Hughbanks thinks his is, Beeson thinks his is. And as a club coach, if you don't think yours is, you better start buying tapes, going to camps, or whatever to find something that you think IS the hot ticket.......Etc Etc Etc..........

I think we need to stick to our own club's technique, and leave the Team Kansas thing for the Middle School duals, Elem School duals, FS GR's Schoolboy, Cadet, and Junior Duals........

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/24/11 09:12 PM

doug i think your right. bad idea. now good luck to you guys the rest of the season cause we are about to turn the heat up this week.

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/24/11 09:21 PM

Don't know if I am right or not, just an opinion, and those are just like you know what..............good luck

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/24/11 11:04 PM

I'm in...just as long as the T-shirts say "Beeson Trained". laugh

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/25/11 01:29 AM

See what I mean............I like the idea of taking a team Kansas to Novice tourneys, the moms are even hotter there.......
Posted By: hartley5

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/25/11 01:46 AM

Jackson Hartley 8u 100, Champion.

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/25/11 04:31 AM

Sorry Chad...
The back of the shirts will say
"HA!"
Posted By: nix

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/25/11 09:15 AM

i am sure chad won't mind if HA is on the back as long as you move BEESON TRAINED to the front of the shirt:) but realy congrats to all you kansas wrestlers who wrestled in tulsa.
Posted By: djackson

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/26/11 01:53 AM

http://www.flowrestling.org/videos/cover...bs-12-and-under
Mason Turners final match
Posted By: allaroundwrestli

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/26/11 02:08 AM

Is Antonio gonna be at Salina? Didn't see his name. Thanks for posting the video.
Posted By: hotrodder54

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/26/11 02:08 AM

Originally Posted By: doug747
I would say that as clubs, we need to start taking more advantage of the open room nights that numerous clubs are hosting during the week, before we start talking about putting together a Team Kansas for Tulsa.......

If we can't get together for a little live wrestling once per week, how are we going to get together, and have a team all agree about what technique is going to be taught at Team Kansas for Tulsa practices?

I think our technique is the hot ticket, Charlie KNox thinks his is, Bryce Hughbanks thinks his is, Beeson thinks his is. And as a club coach, if you don't think yours is, you better start buying tapes, going to camps, or whatever to find something that you think IS the hot ticket.......Etc Etc Etc..........

I think we need to stick to our own club's technique, and leave the Team Kansas thing for the Middle School duals, Elem School duals, FS GR's Schoolboy, Cadet, and Junior Duals........

doug I think your right but alot of kansas clubs are close minded to broading thier kids horizans. Exploring other coaching and partners. I theres a club up here that made there kids and parents sign a contract at the start of the season stating they are FORBIDDEN from practicing out side the club, only go to the tournments the club attends etc. Its obserd.

Now understanding that we've made a living off being nomads but it works for us we practice East Kansas once in a while, purler, purler ultimate, lots of home Father son time. even went to a few park hill, victory mo. where ever the partners are. its great to change things up.
Posted By: CWB

Re: tulsa nationals - 01/26/11 02:19 AM

Hotrodder54 My son and I do the same thing you do.We go to all kinds of dif clubs. Some clubs do not like it,some clubs love it. My boy is a very good partner.
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums