Kansas Wrestling

Highschool state placers in 14 and under?

Posted By: Tim ODonnell

Highschool state placers in 14 and under? - 03/09/14 02:05 AM

Maybe it's me, or maybe it's because my son has never been fortunate enough to be in that position. But it seems to me that after placing at highschool state, maybe you're good enough to wrestle in the highschool division. To me it's like a kid winning or placing in open tournaments, but continuing to wrestle novice. What are you really proving?
Posted By: Teamroper

Re: Highschool state placers in 14 and under? - 03/09/14 02:10 AM

Well it took longer than I thought ......
Posted By: PatrickCavanaugh

Re: Highschool state placers in 14 and under? - 03/09/14 02:12 AM

If a 14/under kid places at high school state, he's still 14/under. Right? I think it would not be all bad to get rid of anything over 14/under at kids. Maybe 16/under but the high school division is watered down to say the least at kids state in my opinion. And I have a 16 year old.
Posted By: Tim ODonnell

Re: Highschool state placers in 14 and under? - 03/09/14 02:28 AM

I guess it comes down to what kind of person you are. One who collects trophies, brackets, and medals. Or one who truly wants to test himself.
Posted By: Jeremy Smith

Re: Highschool state placers in 14 and under? - 03/09/14 02:29 AM

My son is a 7th grader and will wrestle a highschool kid at subs 14under! Age is still close so I'm good with it! Still a Kid!
Posted By: Jeremy Smith

Re: Highschool state placers in 14 and under? - 03/09/14 02:30 AM

It's not a hobby it's a sport!
Posted By: Maize Wrestling

Re: Highschool state placers in 14 and under? - 03/09/14 10:16 AM

Would you suggest that a 10 and under state placer last year should skip 12 and under this year and wrestle 14 and under?

Zach Campbell
316-734-6748
Posted By: hotrodder54

Re: Highschool state placers in 14 and under? - 03/09/14 10:20 AM

Nothing cooler than kicking the crap out of a highschool state placed not matter the division
Posted By: Beeson

Re: Highschool state placers in 14 and under? - 03/09/14 01:15 PM

I have seen High School State Champions wrestle in the 14U division and get beat by 8th graders. Don't look at it as an unfair advantage, look at it as an opportunity. These kids have been wrestling each other every other year since they were 6. Why should they stop wrestling each other just because one is in High School now. Next year they are going to have to wrestle them in High School plus the Jr.'s and Sr.'s. Let them wrestle their age division. No Big Deal.
Posted By: my2boyz

Re: Highschool state placers in 14 and under? - 03/09/14 04:19 PM

Here's what I say to those with a problem with state placers wrestling 14U: Not going to apologize for my kid's decision. He really grappled (ha no pun intended) with whether to do 14u or HS. He is a young freshman, turning 15 in late
May so don't feel like the 8th graders will be at an age disadvantage. HS State was a lot of pressure and he decided for Kids State he would go up in weight and wrestle for fun without the pressure - win or lose. We are proud of him and support him and he is in no way a medal chaser - that's insulting. If you knew him you would agree.
Posted By: Wrestlingmom26

Re: Highschool state placers in 14 and under? - 03/09/14 04:49 PM

We say bring on the HS state placers that want to wrestle 14u, up a weight class and 'just for fun' - give our 8th grade boys someone to beat! There is just as much pressure for the 14u kids club kids as there is for HS kids.
If you're worried about your kid wrestling a HS kid this year, you probably should think about this being his/her last year in the sport. He/she just might be wrestling an almost 18yr old their freshman year.
Posted By: Spexy

Re: Highschool state placers in 14 and under? - 03/09/14 06:03 PM

Don't need to collect anything. We have plenty. Who's the one medal hunting? Not us. 14 means 14. Most welcome the opportunity to test their skills. HS placer/qualifier really have nothing to loose, the underclass men have everything to gain. Unless you're not gonna wrestle in high school. We were 14 all year and wrestled soph, jr, and seniors and didn't run or whine about it, took our losses, along with our wins. It's called a sport.
Posted By: TWall

Re: Highschool state placers in 14 and under? - 03/09/14 09:37 PM

I agree completely and similar instances happen all the time with wrestlers or coaches taking the easy way out. My son will see kids at districts that are usually two weight classes above him that have dropped down to have a better shot. Personally I love it that he will have the oppertunity to face someone so much bigger. Bottom line people use the loop holes presented but I feel the truly succesful ones are those that push for the challenge and persevere anyways.
Posted By: ReDPloyd

Re: Highschool state placers in 14 and under? - 03/09/14 10:33 PM

BLUF - Bottom Line Up Front, wrestling 14U or wrestling the high school division may not really matter in some weight classes. My son was not a State Placer his first year in high school going 2-2. He didn't have the option to wrestle 14U and wrestled the high school division at Kids' State that year placing 5th. His Sophomore year he placed 6th in State and went on a band trip to Florida so he couldn't wrestle the Kids' post season. His Junior year at State the top four places went to Freshman in the 6A 126 pound weight class. He ended his high school career going 2-2 with his two losses to State Placers (Sophomore and Junior). These younger wrestlers just keep getting better and better.
Posted By: Allie

Re: Highschool state placers in 14 and under? - 03/10/14 12:07 AM

I agree! My son wrestled all ages as a Freshman. It never bothered him a bit. To him, that kid on the mat was just another opponent. Age is just a number.
Posted By: Teamroper

Re: Highschool state placers in 14 and under? - 03/10/14 01:20 AM

It may be the only time that they have a shot at a kids state title for some.

They aren't dropping to 10U to wrestle it is kids their own age.

Toughen up or only breed for a good wrestling birthday.

Re: Highschool state placers in 14 and under? - 03/10/14 03:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Brwnimom
We say bring on the HS state placers that want to wrestle 14u, up a weight class and 'just for fun' - give our 8th grade boys someone to beat! There is just as much pressure for the 14u kids club kids as there is for HS
j

Yep you got it, not going to pull weight for Kids State and gonna wrestle for fun and the love of the sport. Judge! And not sure what your "give us someone to beat" meant.

You really need to sit down if you think the pressure is the same or comparable to high school state. Kids Club prepares our kids for high school.
Posted By: Cokeley

Re: Highschool state placers in 14 and under? - 03/10/14 04:31 AM

If you placed at HS State and choose to wrestle 14U in the kids state series my personal opinion is that you don't want to get any better. I have waged this battle and lost but my opinion will never change. You will not find anyone I am associated with doing such. We are the ONLY state that allows HS wrestlers to compete with 7th and 8th graders in the Kids series. Just stating the facts.
Posted By: Wrestlingmom26

Re: Highschool state placers in 14 and under? - 03/10/14 06:49 AM

Originally Posted By: my2boyz
Originally Posted By: Brwnimom
We say bring on the HS state placers that want to wrestle 14u, up a weight class and 'just for fun' - give our 8th grade boys someone to beat! There is just as much pressure for the 14u kids club kids as there is for HS
j

Yep you got it, not going to pull weight for Kids State and gonna wrestle for fun and the love of the sport. Judge! And not sure what your "give us someone to beat" meant.

You really need to sit down if you think the pressure is the same or comparable to high school state. Kids Club prepares our kids for high school.

All I am saying is...go for it! Wrestle your age even if you're in HS - that's your choice, I'm glad we have them. My son wrestled this past weekend and had a HS State Qualifier in the finals and went into OT with him.
We don't pull weight for kids club, never have - let kids grow!! Kids Club is just that.....a stepping stone for HS. On an average weekend he gives up 3 or 4 pounds (at weigh in time, probably more once they step on the mat) and still stays competitive. He is an average wrestler and was proud of himself for hanging with a HS kid who has been in a room where the coaches and other kids are very serious about the sport. To him the State series is the most pressure he feels all year.
The 'give us someone to beat' was just that. Give the boys that are ready to step up their game some tough competition - bring in the freshman kids that have been wrestling 16 and 17 year olds all season. We are in a District that doesn't have middle school and we have had to chase competition all year. He is excited to see at State this year he will more than likely have 50% or more of his bracket HS kids.
When he starts HS next year and comes back to Kids Club, after the season is over, he may feel the same way your son does.......just to have fun and no pressure feeling. Don't read into my post more than what it is.

Re: Highschool state placers in 14 and under? - 03/10/14 11:57 AM

What about the 15 year old 8th grader competing at 14U? No different than the 14 year old freshman yet nothing is said. Judge all you want Cokely. You don't know my kid or his work ethic or his ambitions. So your opinion doesn't hold any weight with me nor does your arrogance.
Posted By: Dot

Re: Highschool state placers in 14 and under? - 03/10/14 01:20 PM

When I decided to have a kid 11 yrs ago, we forced labor on DEC. 20th. We knew he would wrestle, and wanted to have that good birthday. LOL. All jokes aside, lets not forget, the good birthdays in ks are not so good in some other places and vice versa. My son does very well in ks. We went to Show ME Nationals and wrestled 12u as a 10 yr old. Now I see it, I should have waited and just let nature take its course, maybe he would be a National champ, dummy me. Rules are Rules. I'll visit this tread again in 4 years when my son is a 15 yr old fresh.

Re: Highschool state placers in 14 and under? - 03/10/14 04:16 PM

Originally Posted By: my2boyz
What about the 15 year old 8th grader competing at 14U? No different than the 14 year old freshman yet nothing is said. Judge all you want Cokely. You don't know my kid or his work ethic or his ambitions. So your opinion doesn't hold any weight with me nor does your arrogance.

Arrogance? It is all about preparation. MOST clubs do not have the practices in place that a high school wrestler has gone through. You get better wrestling kids that are up to four years older than you during the HS season. 7th and 8th graders DO NOT have this luxury. I don't know you or your kids (I am assuming you have two sons) since you don't post your name. Also, it is C O K E L E Y. My opinion has NOTHING to do with an individual's unique situation but the FACT that the majority of 7th and 8th graders don't get the preparation that a HS wrestler gets and FOR SURE doesn't get the competition. If you place at HS state you have proven you can wrestle against HS competition. WHY in the world would you want to wrestle 7th and 8th graders?? Doesn't make sense to me. I fail to see any arrogance in my comments. I stated my opinion, put my name on it, posted my rationale. It is just wrestling.

Re: Highschool state placers in 14 and under? - 03/10/14 11:38 PM

I would say it is arrogant to break/make rules for just a few special wrestlers. With a total disregard for standard protocol.

Re: Highschool state placers in 14 and under? - 03/11/14 02:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Beeson
I would say it is arrogant to break/make rules for just a few special wrestlers. With a total disregard for standard protocol.

You high jacked this post! smile If I could do as you just stated there would be NO HS wrestlers in the 14U division.

Re: Highschool state placers in 14 and under? - 03/11/14 10:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Cokeley
Originally Posted By: Beeson

You high jacked this post! smile If I could do as you just stated there would be NO HS wrestlers in the 14U division.

Subs has not happened yet, I'm sure it is in the works and we will find out Saturday morning. smile
Posted By: ath618

Re: Highschool state placers in 14 and under? - 03/17/14 01:45 PM

District 1 numbers only
Total HS wrestlers=47
going to Dist=39
1st=9
2nd=13
3rd=9
4th=8
5th=3
6th=1
DNP=4
Posted By: smokeycabin

Re: Highschool state placers in 14 and under? - 03/17/14 07:34 PM

The younger end of all of the age groups in most cases 8, 10, 12, 14, etc. probably send fewer through the qualifying series.
What I am saying that it is not only in the 14 and under group.
I have had kids undefeated at 10 years old and win state and struggle to be above 500 in 12 & under the next year. Sometimes, in a few cases the 14 & under division may be tougher in the lighter weights. 8th grade year in and out proves to be one of the tougher ones to qualify for state. It helps those kids get ready for high school to see what is coming next year - in about 7 or 8 months. It is part of the developmental process.
Posted By: ath618

Re: Highschool state placers in 14 and under? - 03/19/14 01:08 AM

Actually Sean it is just the opposite at 14U
Out of the 152 kids going to district 1 championships there are only 39 HS kids. That is 113 kids that did not wrestle High School.
Posted By: smokeycabin

Re: Highschool state placers in 14 and under? - 03/19/14 11:57 AM

Kids all develop physically and mentally at different times. The have grown up wrestling in their age division. How many 14 years old (according to the September 1st 2013 date) this year place in the top 6 of their high school state tournament - what is that number and what weights were they at? Don't the kids want to find out how they stand against the best in 14 and under or high school.
Posted By: Travis Phippen

Re: Highschool state placers in 14 and under? - 03/19/14 02:04 PM

Looking at results from last year, I would say 14U was more competitive than the HS division. Just doing a quick review and taking out some of the weights to make them match up, which takes out guys like Mason Wallace and Corbin Nirschl. I would say that the 14U group from last year would probably beat the HS division from last year if they were to dual smile

14 & U - 100
1st Place - Idris Elias of Kansas Young Guns
2nd Place - Logan Treaster of Newton
3rd Place - Tyler Flood of Louisburg
4th Place - Trey Hoerner of Abilene
5th Place - Rylan Kasitz of Maize Wrestling Club
6th Place - Tate Carney of Colby Wrestling Club

14 & U - 105
1st Place - Paul Stuart of Wichita Wrestling Club
2nd Place - Tristan Porsch of Hoxie Wrestling Club
3rd Place - Will Spexarth of Kansas Young Guns
4th Place - Jalin Harper of Manhattan Optimist
5th Place - Zachary Schellhase of Herington
6th Place - Easton Schroeder of Team Haysville

14 & U - 115
1st Place - Mason Wallace of Manhattan Optimist
2nd Place - Justin Pool of Ogden`s Outlaws
3rd Place - Kendall Frame of Kansas Young Guns
4th Place - Anthony Scantlin of Kansas Young Guns
5th Place - Dalton Hensley of Ellis Wrestling Club
6th Place - Zach Garza of Leoti

14 & U - 120
1st Place - Kameron Frame of Kansas Young Guns
2nd Place - Sam Kissane of Maize Wrestling Club
3rd Place - Clay Lautt of East Kansas
4th Place - Brandon Mlekus of Frontenac Youth
5th Place - Mario Rodriguez of Ulysses
6th Place - Dekhyale Mcfarland of Salina

14 & U - 125
1st Place - Cody Liles of Great Bend 
2nd Place - Brendon Chrisjohn of Osawatomie
3rd Place - Colby Johnson of Burlington
4th Place - Andrew Johnson of Wichita Blue Knights
5th Place - Pedro Ordonez of Hugoton 
6th Place - Don Boone of Valley Center Wrestling Club

14 & U - 130
1st Place - Johnathon Ball of Great Bend 
2nd Place - Dacota Motter of Andover Jaguar Wrestling Club
3rd Place - Payton Smith of Winfield 
4th Place - Greg McClurg of Liberal
5th Place - Michael Stack of STA
6th Place - Gage Gottschalk of Carroll Jr Wrestling Club

14 & U - 135
1st Place - Connor Penka of Team of Hard Knox
2nd Place - Austin Hernandez of Goodland Wrestling Club
3rd Place - Chuck Schmidt of Eureka Wrestling Club
4th Place - Jacob Smith of Turner
5th Place - Chase Prester of Russell
6th Place - Alex Hydock of Maize Wrestling Club

14 & U - 145
1st Place - Logan Elliott of Kansas Young Guns
2nd Place - Damian Herrara of Emporia
3rd Place - Zach Jaso of Olathe Southside Falcons
4th Place - Mike Kasson of Norton Wrestling Club
5th Place - Kody Collins of Doniphan Co Grizzlies 
6th Place - Colten Watters of Ark City 

14 & U - 150
1st Place - Eann Ellingson of Kansas Young Guns
2nd Place - Lane Moran of El Dorado Wrestling Club
3rd Place - Gavin Farzi of Chaparral
4th Place - Gabriel Ware of Tiger Wrestling Club
5th Place - Easton Ryser of Salina
6th Place - Nick Killion of Dodge City

14 & U - 160
1st Place - Isaac Luellen of Rossville
2nd Place - Kyle True of Salina
3rd Place - Lucas McMichael of Central Wrestling
4th Place - Cesar Salgado of Turner
5th Place - Jacob Harrington of Leavenworth Co
6th Place - Kobe Unruh of McPherson

14 & U - 165
1st Place - Peyton Bendure of East Kansas
2nd Place - Ben Matchell of Colby Wrestling Club
3rd Place - Brett Yeagley of Topeka Thunderbird
4th Place - Ashton Poage of Paola
5th Place - Standard Brown of Ark City 
6th Place - Andrew Garber of Allen County

14 & U - 175
1st Place - Anthony Capul of Brawlers Wrestling Club
2nd Place - Noah Ornelas of Newton
3rd Place - Nick Kirmer of Emporia
4th Place - Jack Helvey of Salina
5th Place - Travon Nelson of Kansas City Gladiators
6th Place - Dj Kessler of Independence

14 & U - 205
1st Place - Diego Maravilla of Ulysses
2nd Place - Gage Clark of SEK Jr. Comets
3rd Place - Michael McMullen of Salina
4th Place - Kasey Feyh of Wamego Jr. Raiders
5th Place - Jack Troutman of Wichita Blue Knights
6th Place - Benito Hernandez Iii of SW Grapplers

14 & U - 235
1st Place - Jacob Green of Norton Wrestling Club
2nd Place - Chase Miller of Olathe
3rd Place - Austin King of Semper Fi
4th Place - Sam Burt of Abilene
5th Place - Austin Ochoa of Ulysses
6th Place - Carter Long of Lawrence Elite

14 & U - 265
1st Place - Jason Zook of Chapman
2nd Place - Ethan Jay of Colby Wrestling Club
3rd Place - Nathan Fowler of Derby
4th Place - Aaron Lozano of Greater Gold GC 
5th Place - Ian Hall of Jr. Viking
6th Place - Kevin Nichols of Lawrence Elite

High School - 100
1st Place - Skylar Johnson of Norton Wrestling Club
2nd Place - Dylan Bloom of Wamego Jr. Raiders
3rd Place - Hunter Kiser of Abilene
4th Place - Ernie Leija of Colby Wrestling Club
5th Place - Shea Ward of Stockton Wrestling Club
6th Place - Jarod Johnson of Jr. Viking

High School - 106
1st Place - Jacob Bonham of East Kansas
2nd Place - Kane Crider of Maize Wrestling Club
3rd Place - Bryce Garcia of Brawlers Wrestling Club
4th Place - Dalton Goans of Renegades
5th Place - Mark Perez of Greater Gold GC 
6th Place - Blade Marmon of Kansas Thunderstruck

High School - 113
1st Place - D.J. Ballard of Bonner Springs
2nd Place - Khamin Crow of Jr. Viking
3rd Place - Ty Nienke of Ellsworth County
4th Place - Zane Baugh of Abilene
5th Place - Emmanual Browne of Piper Kids Wrestling
6th Place - Marty Verhaeghe of Blue Valley

High School - 120
1st Place - Daniel Wilson of Leavenworth Co
2nd Place - Cody Salazar of Jr. Panthers
3rd Place - Nick Romig of Valley Center Wrestling Club
4th Place - Sam Roy of Carroll Jr Wrestling Club
5th Place - Tucker Schreiner of Ogden`s Outlaws
6th Place - Nathan Moore of Augusta Wrestling Club

High School - 126
1st Place - Marcus Phillips Jr. of Wichita Blue Knights
2nd Place - Caysen Smith of Abilene
3rd Place - Dylan Eck of Brawlers Wrestling Club
4th Place - Bailey Yetmar of Olathe Southside Falcons
5th Place - Stetson Loader of Ulysses
6th Place - Bryant Suellentrop of Carroll Jr Wrestling Club

High School - 132
1st Place - Brandon Ball of Great Bend 
2nd Place - Tyler Mies of Brawlers Wrestling Club
3rd Place - Seth Strauss of Abilene
4th Place - Jonah Lutz of Jackson Co
5th Place - Reagan Nguyen of Maize Wrestling Club
6th Place - Cody Lytle of Great Bend 

High School - 138
1st Place - Jake Wilson of Rose Hill
2nd Place - Brett Moon of Maize Wrestling Club
3rd Place - Andrew Beck of Ogden`s Outlaws
4th Place - Aaron Taylor of STA
5th Place - Marc Reiss of Rock Creek
6th Place - Grant Coleman of Andover Jaguar Wrestling Club

High School - 145
1st Place - Dane Edwards of Dodge City
2nd Place - Christian Frame of Kansas Young Guns
3rd Place - Greg Tooley of St. Marys
4th Place - Bryan Burnett of East Kansas
5th Place - Jared Tallent of Norton Wrestling Club
6th Place - Daemeion Gay of Jr. Viking

High School - 152
1st Place - Davis Matthews of Manhattan Optimist
2nd Place - Tanner Ogden of Ogden`s Outlaws
3rd Place - Ricky Spangler of Kansas Young Guns
4th Place - Stephen Stamps of Topeka Blue Thunder
5th Place - Brett Woodruff of Kansas Young Guns
6th Place - Blayne Kimmel of Coffeyville

High School - 160
1st Place - Bowe Behymer of Beloit
2nd Place - Asher Huseman of Tonganoxie
3rd Place - Saul Ortiz of Kansas Young Guns
4th Place - Patrick Weaver of Hugoton 
5th Place - Josh Nelsen of Marysville
6th Place - Trey Thompson of Coffeyville

High School - 170
1st Place - Nick Wuthnow of Salina
2nd Place - Jacob Hill of Augusta Wrestling Club
3rd Place - Christian Ogden of Ogden`s Outlaws
4th Place - Alan Clothier of Kansas Young Guns
5th Place - Zack Witt of Chapman
6th Place - Dakota Driskill of Kansas Young Guns

High School - 182
1st Place - Levi Eck of Brawlers Wrestling Club
2nd Place - Laphonso McKinnis of Cougars
3rd Place - Weston Loder of Smoky Valley
4th Place - Bailey Kelly of Jr. Viking
5th Place - Jake Bradley of Linn Co Twisters
6th Place - Caleb Ward of Leavenworth Co

High School - 195
1st Place - Kyler Atwood of Smith County
2nd Place - Sage Eckman of Emporia
3rd Place - Ryan Anderson of Council Grove
4th Place - Derrick Gates of Brawlers Wrestling Club
5th Place - Tristen Ogden of Ogden`s Outlaws
6th Place - Dalton Weidl of Ottawa Mat Masters

High School - 220
1st Place - Gus Farthing of Burlington
2nd Place - Ryker Greenbaum of Douglass
3rd Place - Armondo Contreras of Kansas City Gladiators
4th Place - Tyson Toelkes of Topeka Thunderbird
5th Place - Raymond Gallegos of Newton
6th Place - Mathew Kissinger of Derby

High School - 250
1st Place - Montana Fuller of Greater Gold GC 
2nd Place - Tyler Bastian of Team Haysville
3rd Place - William Divine of SEK Jr. Comets
4th Place - Brix Brickey of Smoky Valley
5th Place - Brandon Quy of Topeka Blue Thunder
6th Place - Andrew Ramirez of Kansas City Gladiators

High School - 285
1st Place - Garrett Lee of Newton
2nd Place - Alec Smith of Burlington
3rd Place - Jaden Helms of Chaparral
4th Place - Bradley Hooper of Ogden`s Outlaws
5th Place - Jake Green of Central Heights
6th Place - Ruben Gonzalez of Newton
Posted By: M Fisher

Re: Highschool state placers in 14 and under? - 03/19/14 04:27 PM

I see both sides to this topic, and like anything in life, it's situational. There are ALOT of 8th grade studs across the state, so the high schoolers that elect to wrestle 14u will have their hands FULL. And if we could throw in numerous 12u's in the 14u divisions, the 8th graders and high schoolers would have their hands FULL with them as well.

That said, in some cases, the 14u divisions may be tougher than high school divisons for several reasons. For example, we can not say that all high schoolers will attend Kids State this year, but we can say that all the 8th grade studs will be present at Topeka.

Max Fisher
Kansas Young Guns
316-655-5750
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums