Kansas Wrestling

Daycare at State

Posted By: windjammer

Daycare at State - 03/28/06 02:41 PM

There are so many younger siblings of wrestlers at state with nothing to do. You can't blame them for being impatient, sitting in a chair for 2 solid days. I know this may be out there a little bit, but do you think it would be possible, and or a good idea, to offer either a daycare or other activities in another part of the building? Maybe not for the whole tournament even. Perhaps a balloon tying dude or magician for a couple hours each day. Just something to give the kids and parents both a break and make the weekend a better experience.
Posted By: wrestlingparents

Re: Daycare at State - 03/28/06 04:23 PM

I think that would be a WONDERFUL idea!! I would even be willing to help get it all going for next year.
Posted By: Nedly

Re: Daycare at State - 03/28/06 04:29 PM

Windjammer,

Good idea and you got me thinking. I will we see if we can come up with something next year.

Ned
Posted By: Mike Furches

Re: Daycare at State - 03/28/06 04:46 PM

I actually am a magician and if not reffing next year would be able and willing to do something for the kids. If I am I could have my daughter, (both of my kids have learned the trade) to help out with a magic show. I think a great idea as well. My wife would also be willing to do a kids concert. There are enough rooms that something like this wouldn't be that hard to set up.

Re: Daycare at State - 03/28/06 05:20 PM

There could be a small fee associated...like $2 or something and there could be crafts done also. I think this would go over wonderfully!!
Posted By: KCWrestlersMom

Re: Daycare at State - 03/28/06 06:15 PM

We went to a tournament in Iowa years ago where they had movies for the kids. They were checked in and checked out by the parents, and supervised. It worked out well.
Posted By: CoachEd

Re: Daycare at State - 03/28/06 06:18 PM

Now this is a great idea. I don't need it so much anymore but this is a way to make a difference in peoples lives. I could so this working at local tourneys too.

Ms. Jenni

Re: Daycare at State - 03/28/06 07:32 PM

Even a movie room where around "nap" time the kids could go in and lay down for some rest time and watch a movie.
Posted By: B. Hampton

Re: Daycare at State - 03/28/06 07:51 PM

This could be a great fundraiser/community service opportunity for a Boy Scout/Girl Scout troop. I think even our younger wrestlers would appreciate being able to get away from the noise and activity in the gym.
Posted By: Aaron Sweazy

Re: Daycare at State - 03/28/06 07:52 PM

I absolutely love the idea! I think many of us with teaching/education backgrounds can see tons of positive with this. Maybe have an area of Exhibition hall or something marked off and set up a toy area, craft area, nap area, and even movie area.

Don't forget Snack time for the lil ones...I'm sure we could get graham crackers and milk or something. Great Idea and I think will only help to improve the atmosphere at the state tournament as I'm sure many relatives couldn't go due to having to watch a lil one at home.
Posted By: SEKcoach

Re: Daycare at State - 03/28/06 08:06 PM

This is an excellent idea! I don't have any children in need of a daycare now but I do have teen age daughters who love to babysit. They would love to volunteer some time to help out. Also, I would be willing to help organize. sekmidwife@yahoo.com
Posted By: Smuggler

Re: Daycare at State - 03/28/06 08:07 PM

Mike

I think it would be a great idea if you helped with the daycare instead of reffing.

Re: Daycare at State - 03/28/06 08:15 PM

Aaron,

You'll have to smuggle the graham crackers in.

Re: Daycare at State - 03/28/06 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Smuggler:
Mike

I think it would be a great idea if you helped with the daycare instead of reffing.
:)
Posted By: wrestlingmom

Re: Daycare at State - 03/29/06 01:11 AM

Great idea but it wouldn't be State if you didn't have all those kids "sledding" down the side of the Expocenter hill on cardboard!
Posted By: jeffroberts

Re: Daycare at State - 03/29/06 02:50 AM

My wife stated she would be interested in daycare for our daughter at State or any of the large tourneys to give her something fun to do. How much do you think it would cost per hour for a 5-6 year old?
Posted By: usawks1

Re: Daycare at State - 03/29/06 03:14 AM

How about adult care? You know, a place where perhaps an older person can go take a nap or watch a movie!
Posted By: notinks

Re: Daycare at State - 03/29/06 05:39 AM

I would be willing to help out and get donations for a daycare for state.

Re: Daycare at State - 03/29/06 12:57 PM

I know I could get businesses to donate art supplies, movies and such. I think it could be pulled off with very little cost involved.
Posted By: clarkmom

Re: Daycare at State - 03/29/06 03:15 PM

I think that daycare would be wonderful at state. I run a daycare for a living and it is alot of work, but if there are plenty of activities for them to do, then it would go alot smoother. Maybe advise parents who want to use the daycare to bring kindermats for nap time with a blanket? I think that parents would be able to enjoy the tournament alot more if they knew that their children were safe and having fun. I would be willing to help out with ideas, if we could actually get this to happen.
Posted By: Jeff Harrington

Re: Daycare at State - 03/29/06 03:54 PM

This year Derby offered a Daycare for the Derby parents that attended the tournament, it was very popular and increased our parent participation because they were able to leave younger siblings in the child care room. I have 5 kids and only one of them wrestles this was a great way for my kids to spend there day versus sitting in the stands.

I think this would be wonderful at some of our bigger tournaments.

Lisa Harrington

Re: Daycare at State - 01/03/07 10:14 PM

I thought I would bump this in case there is still some interest to allow some time for organization. Weigh in is in 79 days you know.
Posted By: WOOD_WON

Re: Daycare at State - 01/04/07 11:46 AM

I'm with Randy. I need a break. Would there be happy hour? This is a great idea. But, there wil be a lot of paperwork, background checks and such to do so that all bases are covered. As soon as you come up with a great idea you also need to play the devils advocate. I am all for it, i like my bed soft and 2 pillows please.

Re: Daycare at State - 01/04/07 12:02 PM

Wood, could have clubs designate individuals for this, as to background checks, for a few dollars, well worth it, you could make sure that each individual gets a background check through their local sheriff's department. It may also be possible to contract with a local child care provider, and each parent pay a small fee to cover the costs. I think all of these are appropriate. As mentioned last year, I also think some appropriate entertainment for the kids be established, i.e. magician, clown, those types of things during certain hours when we know parents would like a break. If we don't have a group looking at this as a possibility on a state level, it would be a good time to appoint an exploratory group to make a proposal.
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums