Kansas Wrestling

State Tournament Locations

Posted By: Svo69

State Tournament Locations - 02/04/08 06:24 PM

As the time for the state tournament approaches, I sure that there more than a few of us who lament the fact that we will not be able to observe contestents from the several classes compete for state honors. I can recall several times when each mat (i.e. 4A - 5A & 6A) had highly anticipated match-ups going on at the same time. Sure, it was kinda difficult to give each such match-up undivided attention, but you could catch glimpses of each. It's hard to believe that both the athletss and their fans wouldn't enjoy this format better. (I do recall reading that many in 4A did not feel the same way and believed that removing 4A was a great move and made for a much better tournament). To each his/her own, I guess.

Like the ole B.B. King song says: "The Thrill is Gone", for alot of us. I do recall that this topic has already been discussed at length, in previous threads, but, I'll ask, once again: Any plans to bring back a state competition, where, 4A, 5A & 6A (or at least, 5A & 6A) can all compete together in the same building, at or about the same time. Maybe when Wichita completes their new arena or improvements are made to the Kansas Colosium, their may be some interest in resurrecting the old format. Then again, maybe not.
Posted By: RichardDSalyer

Re: State Tournament Locations - 02/04/08 06:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Svo69
Any plans to bring back a state competition, where, 4A, 5A & 6A (or at least, 5A & 6A) can all compete together in the same building, at or about the same time. Maybe when Wichita completes their new arena or improvements are made to the Kansas Colosium, their may be some interest in resurrecting the old format. Then again, maybe not.

The 6A and 5A schools will be reunited at the Kansas Coliseum in 2009.
Posted By: Gary Ulmer

Re: State Tournament Locations - 02/04/08 07:00 PM

Svo69,

I am going to miss the combined tournament as well. I really doubt that if a vote was taken that a majority would agree that the split of 4A from the original tournament improved their meet.

My thoughts have always been that the only way to improve the combined meet of 4A, 5A, and 6A was to include 1A, 2A, and 3A. What a great meet that would be for participants and fans from all the classifications.

We did need a friendlier, cleaner, and more accessible venue than the Kansas Coliseum. But when that new venue does come available lets hope that everyone is willing to combine meets again (even 1A, 2A, & 3A) and create once again the prestigious event that it should be.

Gary Ulmer
Posted By: Double

Re: State Tournament Locations - 02/04/08 07:36 PM

All they have to do is combine 5a and 6a into big schools. Then that wouldn't be a prob cause you would have 64 teams in 4a and the big schools. That would make it easy for all the state tournaments to be in the same place.
Posted By: Nate Naasz

Re: State Tournament Locations - 02/04/08 07:39 PM

Leave 3-2-1A alone. Hays is awesome!!!
Posted By: RJW1

Re: State Tournament Locations - 02/04/08 07:43 PM

I do not know if I am in the majority, but I hope they leave 4A alone in Salina as well.

Re: State Tournament Locations - 02/04/08 07:46 PM

Richard D. Salyer:

Thanks, glad to hear that 5A & 6A will be reunited. That's good news. Great news would be that 4A - even 1-2-3A would have been included!
Posted By: MAS

Re: State Tournament Locations - 02/04/08 07:53 PM

4a gets treated so great in Salina I wouldn't want to go back. Also when the move happened it gave each class an extra mat which cut down on time. Instead of leaving at 10:00 on friday night we get out by 8:00 and instead of starting at 9:00 on Saturday we start at 10:00. This is way better for kids and Coaches and Officials who are all better rested.
Posted By: chewie

Re: State Tournament Locations - 02/04/08 08:14 PM

4A in Salina has been great and will continue to get better.

Re: State Tournament Locations - 02/04/08 08:24 PM

MAS

You could be right. But from my admittedly selfish vantage point, I really miss being able to watch some of the more anticipated match-ups in the various classes which always exist. The level of intensity at state with 4A, 5A & 6A was phenomenal and will be sorely missed this year!

Also, it strikes me that alot, if not most, wrestlers would themselves prefer the larger venue, with its attendant fanfare, and large gathering of state-qualified wrestlers from the various classes, as it gives them an opportunity to take it all in and perhaps, for the first time, observe wrestler(s) from other classes they may been courious about throughout the year and not have had an opportunity to observe. Speaking for myself, there are countless wrestlers who I have heard alot about, but that I have not had the pleasure to watch wrestle. State used to provide that opportunity.

Finally, should a wrestler, be fortunate enough to receive a medal for his outstanding accomplishments, he would receive the applause and adulation of many more of his peers and fans alike.

I'm sure that each class will put on a great tournament, if for no other reason than, each class will bring some great wrestlers to their mats. I'd just like to see more of them.
Posted By: mom4

Re: State Tournament Locations - 02/04/08 08:54 PM

I am very happy with 4A being in Salina. And I think the wrestlers love the special attention given to them when they are the only ones on the mat's come championship time. I think that is what makes 1A-2A-3A state so great too. You deserve to be in the spotlight when you reach that ultimate goal in high school wrestling.
Posted By: Dean Welsh

Re: State Tournament Locations - 02/04/08 10:39 PM

Yes, but doesn't one poor group (6a?) get to 'reach that ultimate goal' in a HIGH SCHOOL GYM this year?!

Work so hard your whole wrestling life. Make the finals. And then finish your career competing in a high school gym. . .

UNEXCUSEABLE.
Posted By: RichardDSalyer

Re: State Tournament Locations - 02/04/08 10:50 PM

Originally Posted By: dwelsh
Yes, but doesn't one poor group (6a?) get to 'reach that ultimate goal' in a HIGH SCHOOL GYM this year?!

The 6A State Tournament will be held in Koch Arena on the campus of Wichita State University.

The 5A State Tournament will be held at the Salthawk Activity Center in Hutchinson.
Posted By: shipmanm

Re: State Tournament Locations - 02/04/08 10:54 PM

I will preface my comments with the fact that I am a little selfish and miss the times when 6A, 5A, & 4A were all together. We have a couple hours to kill traveling, so My friend and I spend the time going through the brackets and identifying the various matchups, comparing records, getting a little history about the kids, and then we would pick the various winners. We didn't bet or anything but it was sure fun. We will still do that but only for one class - what a waste. Being from Nebraska, I can tell you that they have always had the classes together. Likewise, so does Iowa & Missouri. I know I am selfish and want to see it all. Just my opinion. That and 50 cents will get you a cup of coffee. I just enjoyed the classes being together.
Posted By: bigfatwrestler

Re: State Tournament Locations - 02/04/08 10:55 PM

which is a disspointment for 5A considering they held a regional tournament there last year.
Posted By: jcfd51nelson

Re: State Tournament Locations - 02/05/08 01:48 AM

My view is that all the classes should be together at the same site at the same time. The tournament could be longer than two days, just like in some other states that have div.1 schools that participate in the greataest and oldest sport.
Posted By: wrestlingAlum

Re: State Tournament Locations - 02/05/08 01:59 AM

Kinda sounds like the only ones who want 4A with 5&6 are 5&6. Ask the 4A coaches, and they almost will all say WE LIKE SALINA
Posted By: sportsfan02

Re: State Tournament Locations - 02/05/08 02:07 AM

I still believe that when a suitable facility presents itself that the 4A and 3-2-1A coaches will do what's best for Kansas wrestling as a whole, and not fuss about all the classes being at one site. I don't believe it will even be an issue with KSHSAA either. I do not believe the new arena in Wichita will be able to handle all classes without going to a third day.
Posted By: bigfatwrestler

Re: State Tournament Locations - 02/05/08 02:15 AM

well how packed is salina for 4A state? why not just move 5A and 6A down to salina. The Bi-center is big enough right?
Posted By: wrestlingAlum

Re: State Tournament Locations - 02/05/08 02:21 AM

NO its not
Posted By: Cokeley

Re: State Tournament Locations - 02/05/08 03:06 AM

Iowa and Wisconsin host all classes in one location. I have been to both as well as to Kansas when 4,5 & 6 were held together. I like having them all in one place. It is awesome. Having them seperately, in my opinion, makes it way less glamourous to the athletes and the fans. All of the wrestlers would much rather be in one place so they can all see each other. Wrestling is like a fraternity and the chain of decisions to split the group is really not in the best interest of our sport, athletes, and fans.
Posted By: Brian K. Patton

Re: State Tournament Locations - 02/05/08 03:39 AM

I have never been to 4,5&6 so i cannot say what it would be like,would love to see 4a and 5a, but Ft Hays is great for 321a and i don't see it leaving. That where it need to stay and help out the state school.

just my opinion.

Brian
Posted By: Dean Welsh

Re: State Tournament Locations - 02/06/08 05:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Cokeley
Iowa and Wisconsin host all classes in one location. I have been to both as well as to Kansas when 4,5 & 6 were held together. I like having them all in one place. It is awesome. Having them seperately, in my opinion, makes it way less glamourous to the athletes and the fans. All of the wrestlers would much rather be in one place so they can all see each other. Wrestling is like a fraternity and the chain of decisions to split the group is really not in the best interest of our sport, athletes, and fans.

Cokely, i hear you have a BIG BARN with mats. Can we fit them all in your barn!?

;-)

That would be sweeetttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Tim Sayers

Re: State Tournament Locations - 02/08/08 04:48 AM

This is disappointing. I was hoping 5A would be at the Sports Arena, which is just across the street from Hutch High's SAC.

I love making fun of my former school.
Posted By: Nigel Isom

Re: State Tournament Locations - 02/08/08 06:16 AM

The Intrust Bank Arena (Formerly the Downtown Arena) in Wichita is set for completion in January 2010. From everything I have read about it, it would more more than large enough to hold 4,5,6A once again. I know most people who have been there say they love 321A out in Hays, so I don't see them moving. It would be neat if all 4 classes were to join at this one site. I know Missouri does it. The only problem with that is the tournament would have to be extended out to 3 days instead of two.

http://www.mshsaa.org/Activities/Info/Wrestling_News_Wrestling_content.aspx?viewmode=story&storyid=6

The above link shows the schedule that they use, it is quite interesting.
Posted By: mom4

Re: State Tournament Locations - 02/08/08 06:58 PM

And just like 1-2-3A in Hays, I think you will find that 4A is not going to be in a big hurry to move anytime soon as well. We have it pretty good in Salina. Plus, for teams like Colby and Goodland, I think they kinda like the shorter drive time. It may not be as great as the tournament in Hays for they have been running the tournament a lot longer but Salina is still a pretty sweet place to compete on the last week in February.
Posted By: shipmanm

Re: State Tournament Locations - 02/09/08 02:09 AM

Nebraska and Iowa also hold the State Tournament in one location. Being from Nebraska, I just took it for granted that everyone held their State Tournament in one location.
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums