Kansas Wrestling

Nitcher / Plott Semifinal

Posted By: Gary Seibel

Nitcher / Plott Semifinal - 04/03/09 04:48 PM

Lot's of people still ask...Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp-bkMGgwOg
Posted By: ASmith

Re: Nitcher / Plott Semifinal - 04/03/09 06:51 PM

I think the call could go both ways. It looked as if Plott covered Nitcher's right left when he was laying on his hip. Nitcher could argue that Plott never covered his hips.
Posted By: Bronco Wrestler

Re: Nitcher / Plott Semifinal - 04/03/09 06:55 PM

It appeared from what I saw, to be a reversal, as the man on top hooked the bottom leg in what appeared to be a "leg turk" but I wasn't there and the video wasn't matside through the official's eyes, so I guess it stands as called.
Posted By: cujo

Re: Nitcher / Plott Semifinal - 04/03/09 07:29 PM

Looks like 2 to me
Posted By: KNAPPY EAGLE

Re: Nitcher / Plott Semifinal - 04/03/09 09:02 PM

I'm no ref and I know I've argued both sides of this situation with refs before. What you don't see in the video and what was clear from the floor is that Nitcher's hands were locked around Plott's left leg. Like I said, I'm no ref, but when passing judgment as to whether this was the right call or not, Nitcher's situation on bottom has to be considered (whether it is a determining factor or not is up for debate). I wonder if Plott would have got his left hand behind Nitcher's left shoulder, would that have made the difference in the call???
BTW... I was real glad I didn't have to make the call on this one.
Posted By: Brett Shoffner

Re: Nitcher / Plott Semifinal - 04/03/09 09:20 PM

Good call. Top man still retained control of a leg while the bottom man never completed the reversal, by gaining control, and covering the hips.

I will say I would have been looking for a quicker stalemate call if I were either Coach. At least 30 seconds of them holding each other.
Posted By: Scarecrow_103

Re: Nitcher / Plott Semifinal - 04/03/09 10:18 PM

good call... i can see the controversy... but it would have been the same in college... they were in that position for a while, i was suprised to see the stalemate called then, and not 10 seconds prior
Posted By: HEADUP

Re: Nitcher / Plott Semifinal - 04/04/09 12:11 AM

judgement call, i must say poor judgement, but can't argue a judgement call. we had the same thing in kids state, ref called it one way in the first period another in the third period. poor judgement, but no use arguing.
Posted By: Cokeley

Re: Nitcher / Plott Semifinal - 04/04/09 02:43 AM

We see this official several times during the year. A very nice guy but he has never been, in my opinion, a state tournament quality official. Due to the lack of a rating system, evaluations, and performance accountability we will continue to have these types of problems. There is NO way he should have be on the whistle in a semis match at state.

Two all the way. No question. The leg is hooked and all the official did was stare at the hands locked around the leg. Read the rule book and refer to the picture where a wrestler has a leg clasped with his hands and the other has stepped over and hooked the leg. Although not the exact situation it is similiar enough to explain why this should have been two. We need to get away from "gray areas" and move to black and white.

Two points. Can't argue the call but you can work towards getting a system in place that makes sure the best officials are working state not just the administrators and popularity contest winners.
Posted By: wrestlingspectat

Re: Nitcher / Plott Semifinal - 04/04/09 03:42 AM

It was a good call, there was no reversal there, although it was very close. The stalemate call was warranted for certain, in fact that was the very definition of a stalemate. Neither wrestler was improving their position.
Posted By: lakemats

Re: Nitcher / Plott Semifinal - 04/04/09 05:45 PM

i got 2. its amazing how so many people can look at the same video and determine totally different outcomes. not bashing anyones opinion, i just see it as 2. brett and spectat saw the same video and thought differently. will, in wrestling there are some situations where it isnt black and white. you even said this picture isnt in the rule book. human error will always be a part of our sport. i shouldnt say "error" in this case. obviously some didnt see an error here.
Posted By: MrWizzzard

Re: Nitcher / Plott Semifinal - 04/05/09 06:42 PM

So called "Cokeley" what do you mean by "move to black and white?"
Posted By: Dean Welsh

Re: Nitcher / Plott Semifinal - 04/08/09 10:58 AM

Why so-called? That IS (Cokeley's) last name!!!
Posted By: 2coach

Re: Nitcher / Plott Semifinal - 04/08/09 11:29 AM

I think he is talking about "black and white" not Cokeley's name.
Posted By: GranbyonaRoll

Re: Nitcher / Plott Semifinal - 04/08/09 03:37 PM

This post is an embarrassment to the wrestling community. I can't believe a coach of his stature would put young kids on the web to prove a bad call.

Re: Nitcher / Plott Semifinal - 04/08/09 03:51 PM

Originally Posted By: 2coach
I think he is talking about "black and white" not Cokeley's name.

Possible I guess.

Its just a weird sentence all together. For example, why have Will's last name in quotes?
Posted By: salinawresling

Re: Nitcher / Plott Semifinal - 04/08/09 10:54 PM

this is stevens brother jeremy plott. me and my brother have talked about this match a couple times and we have came to the conclusion that no matter what the outcome of the match was he has nothing to hang his head over. he handled the loss with alot of sportsmanship and pride and the call was out of his hands. if the call was right or wrong hes still a great wrestler and not even a ref can change that
Posted By: blaise

Re: Nitcher / Plott Semifinal - 04/08/09 11:53 PM

2 points
Posted By: Isenberg133

Re: Nitcher / Plott Semifinal - 04/09/09 04:47 PM

it wont let me view the video, it keeps coming up sayin private

Re: Nitcher / Plott Semifinal - 04/09/09 05:11 PM

A ref just 'pistol-slapped' me via a PM and said, "unless you were there matside and know the rules very, very well - you should keep your mouth shut boy!" ;-) (Actually he said it much kinder and with more wisdom than that - but what the h--- fun is that?!)

Speaking for myself, I agree with him. I'll keep my mouth shut on this one -- EVEN if I see the video. Videos don't always show all that need to be seen AND many of us that think we know ALL the rules, don't actually. Again, I'm not accusing anyone. Just speaking for myself.
Posted By: Gary Seibel

Re: Nitcher / Plott Semifinal - 04/09/09 06:13 PM

Wow. Somebody sensitive?

I was there. Matside. Know them pretty well. Still mystified. Saw the same situation called twice in the Big 12 finals.

Sorry to embarass you Granby. I seldom put the wrestling community over one of my guys.
Posted By: Cokeley

Re: Nitcher / Plott Semifinal - 04/10/09 09:28 PM

Originally Posted By: MrWizzzard
So called "Cokeley" what do you mean by "move to black and white?"

If you are asking that question with any level of seriousness that it would be in your best interest to refrain from posting on here in the future.
Posted By: Jeremy Molloy

Re: Nitcher / Plott Semifinal - 04/10/09 11:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Gary Seibel
Wow. Somebody sensitive?

I was there. Matside. Know them pretty well. Still mystified. Saw the same situation called twice in the Big 12 finals.

Sorry to embarass you Granby. I seldom put the wrestling community over one of my guys.
Good coaches always stand behind(or in front) of their wrestlers. Some people dont understand that. It is the way it should be. Alway go back to the rule of dont leave it up to the ref.
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums