Kansas Wrestling

numbers like in the middle schools

Posted By: fastonyourfeet

numbers like in the middle schools - 10/26/10 09:23 PM

How miny kids are out for middle school wrestling around the state.
Posted By: Shelstin

Re: numbers like in the middle schools - 10/28/10 03:51 AM

Ulysses had 28
Posted By: lakemats

Re: numbers like in the middle schools - 10/28/10 01:29 PM

Silver Lake 20
Posted By: jamesrenfro

Re: numbers like in the middle schools - 10/28/10 01:36 PM

Cherryvale 22

Re: numbers like in the middle schools - 10/28/10 08:59 PM

How miny kids does rossville royal valley holton have out. I heard sabetha has 20 out...
Posted By: Coach Davies

Re: numbers like in the middle schools - 10/28/10 09:35 PM

I wonder what it would feel like to not have a middle school wrestling program, be the only school in your league without it and also be pretty much the only one in the KCk area without it.....OH WAIT! I do know what that feels like because that is us... I hope everyone with a middle school wrestling program is thankful they have one. Good luck to everyone this year!
Posted By: lakemats

Re: numbers like in the middle schools - 10/28/10 09:47 PM

That's weird you're the only school in the league not to offer. Have to fix that. I know 501 in topeka doesnt offer wrestling in the jr high and it shows with their high school programs, especially in the numbers. Almost as bad as the spring wrestling in western kansas. Who else runs a spring season?

Side note, I think Rossville has 17 out and was told today marysville has 24.
Posted By: bigwillyxl

Re: numbers like in the middle schools - 10/29/10 01:38 AM

We hosted a dual tonight and had the following:

Pioneer Ridge (Gardner) -35
Spring Hill -43
Paola -30

Really good numbers on a yearly basis from these teams.
Posted By: harlow93

Re: numbers like in the middle schools - 10/29/10 04:58 AM

i think some of the western schools are having a fall season
Posted By: Coach Prieto

Re: numbers like in the middle schools - 10/29/10 12:58 PM

The new league out here in Western Kansas, GWAC, started their middle wrestling season right after football. Member schools include: Holcomb, Hugoton, Ulysses, Scott City, Colby, and Goodland. My son is wrestling for Holcomb and have roughly 20 plus kids out. Their first tournament is this Saturday in Goodland. Just because some middle schools don't wrestle in the fall doesn't mean "we out here" in Western Kansas don't have our kids doing something wrestling related. Greater Gold wrestling club has already started and is sending many kids to Amarillo and other big tournaments.....
Posted By: Paratroop

Re: numbers like in the middle schools - 10/29/10 02:28 PM

Originally Posted By: bigwillyxl
We hosted a dual tonight and had the following:

Pioneer Ridge (Gardner) -35
Spring Hill -43
Paola -30

Really good numbers on a yearly basis from these teams.

Sweet! Post some results in the middle school post in kids wrestling if you got some. I knows it's tough sometimes with so many wrestlers and lots of times two mats. I started the thread so we can keep up on both the fall and spring seasons. Hopefully we'll see some of the kids meet in the KS MS state/Iowa national duals qualifier in March!
Posted By: Paratroop

Re: numbers like in the middle schools - 10/29/10 02:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Coach Prieto
The new league out here in Western Kansas, GWAC, started their middle wrestling season right after football. Member schools include: Holcomb, Hugoton, Ulysses, Scott City, Colby, and Goodland. My son is wrestling for Holcomb and have roughly 20 plus kids out. Their first tournament is this Saturday in Goodland.

That's great! Post some results if you can get them. I am thinking I am going to try and push the main table this year to get some results to post on the Kids forum. I just think that not a lot are on this forum all the time except some of the "hardcores."I know our wrestling fans up in the NE would love to see how your doing out West! I know in Lawrence anyway, a lot of our wrestlers will keep and eye on some of the SW kids since we'll see each other in 6a! Good luck this MS season. You got to love KS wrestling this time of year. I know I am excited!
Posted By: Kit Harris

Re: numbers like in the middle schools - 10/29/10 04:22 PM

Baldwin has 29 on the JH team this year
Posted By: mhiggins

Re: numbers like in the middle schools - 10/29/10 04:27 PM

Osawatomie has 35
Posted By: up4wrestling

Re: numbers like in the middle schools - 10/29/10 04:40 PM

Holton Jr High 32 as of Tuesday night looking forward to a great season!
Posted By: XGHSWC

Re: numbers like in the middle schools - 10/29/10 09:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Davies
I wonder what it would feel like to not have a middle school wrestling program, be the only school in your league without it and also be pretty much the only one in the KCk area without it.....OH WAIT! I do know what that feels like because that is us... I hope everyone with a middle school wrestling program is thankful they have one. Good luck to everyone this year!

So sad for you. Know how you feel.
No schools in Wichita have middle school wrestling.
Good luck to them and you as well.
Posted By: ReDPloyd

Re: numbers like in the middle schools - 10/29/10 09:33 PM

Originally Posted By: XGHSWC

No schools in Wichita have Junior High wrestling? That is sad. I realize that the wrestlers can go out and get some excellent competition and matches in by going to Kid's tournaments that time of year, but they are not being exposed to the "team concept" of wrestling that is so important going into High School. There is something very special about the Junior High programs that you really don't get in Kid's Federation.
Posted By: XGHSWC

Re: numbers like in the middle schools - 10/29/10 10:09 PM

Originally Posted By: ReDPloyd

No schools in Wichita have Junior High wrestling? That is sad. I realize that the wrestlers can go out and get some excellent competition and matches in by going to Kid's tournaments that time of year, but they are not being exposed to the "team concept" of wrestling that is so important going into High School. There is something very special about the Junior High programs that you really don't get in Kid's Federation.

10-4 ReDPloyd and totally agree.
When most of my son's wrestling friends were on the Kid's circuit instead of JH because it was "so much better", he was wrestling for his junior high school.
Imagine that he still got good enough to win the Classic and Kid's State in the HS division, as well as placing at HS state and twice at Brute inspite of all that "inferior" competititon.
It was a great experience for him and he still got the "better" competition because it always ended before the Classic just like high school.
Posted By: sportsfan02

Re: numbers like in the middle schools - 10/29/10 10:23 PM

I don't believe the Wichita public schools offer any competitive middle school sports which explains why their high school sports, as a whole, are what they are.
Posted By: ReDPloyd

Re: numbers like in the middle schools - 10/29/10 11:55 PM

10-4 ReDPloyd and totally agree.
When most of my son's wrestling friends were on the Kid's circuit instead of JH because it was "so much better", he was wrestling for his junior high school.
Imagine that he still got good enough to win the Classic and Kid's State in the HS division, as well as placing at HS state and twice at Brute inspite of all that "inferior" competititon.
It was a great experience for him and he still got the "better" competition because it always ended before the Classic just like high school.

XGHSWC,

Thank you and much appreciation for your input. It is a great experience for Junior High wrestlers to be a part of a team effort in an individual sport. When they are on the mat, only they can make a difference in that match. As a teammate, they can be a contributor to a team win.
Posted By: Brent Lane

Re: numbers like in the middle schools - 10/30/10 07:55 PM

Fredonia 22
Posted By: Enetophobic

Re: numbers like in the middle schools - 10/31/10 03:06 AM

If the schools in Wichita/Topeka/KC were to add Middle School wrestling, you open up I believe a better chance to get kids to wrestle in high school because they can do it right after school and be home at a time that may not be as hard on some parents as USA wrestling would. Also I would think teachers would make good recruiters in the halls to get new bodies to participate.
Posted By: ROBERT M. GONZALES

Re: numbers like in the middle schools - 11/09/10 05:19 PM

We have 30 plus at both Middle schools.Both MS have dual today with Fort Riley and JCMS. We had 19 schools here with 433 wrestlers this past weekend in a tournament finished 5:30 p.m.. The year before we had 561 and finished at 8 p.m. We now limit to 36 wrestlers per school. Chad Lindsley email the wrestling coaches the final brackets on Monday morning. I was able to watch Tristan Star of Lawrence wrestle and he is tough!. Some of the names I tried to get over to the mats and watch: Bazan, Deam of JCMS and Canfield, Sprague of Concordia. I was inpressed with Riley County MS kids for a first year program they are tough. Little bumped out for next year. Coach Drennan of Lawrence mentioned, "Both Lawrence Schools will not be allowed to come next year due to budget cuts"!. I like the attraction of LAG, kids from Hays to Lawrence Concordia to Topeka. RMG

Re: numbers like in the middle schools - 11/10/10 10:15 PM

Bob is that Dave Canfield boy...
Posted By: Nedly

Re: numbers like in the middle schools - 11/14/10 09:43 PM

Atchison has 16
Posted By: Big_DeBo

Re: numbers like in the middle schools - 11/23/10 03:05 AM

I coach at Coronado Middle School in USD-500 and we have about 22 kids out for wrestling. Our problem is that we don't have a tournament or anything for the kids to shoot for. We have 4 triple duals 2 before Thanksgiving and 2 after. We are currently 2-2 we should be 4-0 but giving up points at open weight classes is hard to overcome sometimes
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums