Kansas Wrestling

rankings by class

Posted By: D Petrie119

rankings by class - 11/04/13 06:23 PM

when do ranking get released by individual class?
Posted By: firehawk88

Re: rankings by class - 11/04/13 07:25 PM

Tomorrow.
Posted By: Chief Renegade

Re: rankings by class - 11/05/13 06:50 PM

Wow. Of all days, our office computer system was down all day. The 5A and 6A rankings were done yesterday, but I just sent them in. Kramer should have those up pretty soon at www.kansaswrestling.org

Whew....

Re: rankings by class - 11/05/13 07:23 PM

It has been decided that there are now four coaches that will team up to do the 4A rankings. I had those finished yesterday but found out that I'm 5A/6A only...
Posted By: Bob Miller

Re: rankings by class - 11/06/13 01:08 AM

So any idea when 4A, and 321A will be out then?

Re: rankings by class - 11/06/13 01:49 AM

The Abilene, Chanute and Colby coaches were supposed to have those out today.
Posted By: tryingtobesilent

Re: rankings by class - 11/06/13 01:56 AM

whats the reasoning for that change? you did a great job last year and previous years.

Re: rankings by class - 11/06/13 02:22 AM

A vote within KWCA.

Re: rankings by class - 11/06/13 02:30 AM

I would agree with silent, agree or disagree you've done a great job, I really hope the new rankers put in as much time and effort
Posted By: elid2

Re: rankings by class - 11/06/13 02:37 AM

So when are they gonna post?
Posted By: Cokeley

Re: rankings by class - 11/06/13 05:13 AM

You would think that HS Coaches would be focused on Coaching Wrestling and not worrying about who is ranked where. I know one of the rankers said, and I paraphrase, that he despised the rankings but now he is a ranker?? Go figure. I personally think the KWCA should get completely out of the ranking business and stick to figure out how to improve KS wrestling. Rankings are great for generating interest and providing conversation about wrestling. I think they are the best marketing tool we have. I KNOW that no one will put the time, effort and passion into them that Eric does. I am thankful for his generous donation to the sport and I think this decision was quite disrespectful as they questioned his character and basically ridiculed a fellow coach in the process. Shameful
Posted By: Pastor Kelly

Re: rankings by class - 11/06/13 01:06 PM

I agree. I do enjoy the rankings and anticipate seeing them each time they come out. I have often found myself in the past foaming at the mouth with great anticipation, waiting and waiting to view the new rankings. But the truth is that it takes more man hours than anyone could imagine to make this happen. The work that is put onto getting the rankings up and going must be a bit brutal and somewhat stressful. Eric, you're the man, hats off to you for all you have done and do. The rankings will be here when they get here, let's step back and be a bit patient and focus on getting our season ready.
Posted By: Tyson Schreiner

Re: rankings by class - 11/06/13 02:38 PM

It has been decided that there are now four coaches that will team up to do the 4A rankings. I had those finished yesterday but found out that I'm 5A/6A only...

Maybe they could add a couple more coaches to help out, lessen the confusion, and speed up the process:)
Posted By: Pastor Kelly

Re: rankings by class - 11/06/13 02:48 PM

Who has 3A covered?

Re: rankings by class - 11/06/13 02:48 PM

So just for the hell of it, can we see your rankings Chief?
Posted By: RJW1

Re: rankings by class - 11/06/13 02:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Tyson Schreiner

Maybe they could add a couple more coaches to help out, lessen the confusion, and speed up the process:)

I heard they were done on Monday! Not sure why they have not posted yet??

Re: rankings by class - 11/06/13 02:50 PM

I second that! It seems who ever has taken over the 4A rankings has dropped the ball or just doesn't care too much about it.
Posted By: luellen

Re: rankings by class - 11/06/13 03:07 PM

Chief, Can you post your rankings?

Re: rankings by class - 11/06/13 03:15 PM

Originally Posted By: RJW1
Originally Posted By: Tyson Schreiner

I heard they were done on Monday! Not sure why they have not posted yet??

Mine have been done for awhile. I'm sure theirs will be up soon.
Posted By: smokeycabin

Re: rankings by class - 11/06/13 03:16 PM

Is there going to be 2 different groups in 4A? I thought I heard that over the weekend?

Re: rankings by class - 11/06/13 03:17 PM

Originally Posted By: smokeycabin
Is there going to be 2 different groups in 4A? I thought I heard that over the weekend?

No. One 4A group.
Posted By: smokeycabin

Re: rankings by class - 11/06/13 03:18 PM

Wasn't there discussion on that and some sort of vote?

No. One 4A group.
Posted By: Coach Samson

Re: rankings by class - 11/06/13 03:59 PM

other sports in 4A were split into two divisions but not wrestling

Re: rankings by class - 11/06/13 06:35 PM

Originally Posted By: luellen
Chief, Can you post your rankings?

They are a click away. Waiting to get the OK from the KWCA President, Bob Gonzales.
Posted By: Cokeley

Re: rankings by class - 11/06/13 10:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Coach Samson
other sports in 4A were split into two divisions but not wrestling

Thank goodness! We are watered down now. Next year there will be 8 state winners (I am having a hard time calling them champions when there will be 8 of them in the same sport) in football. I heard a well respected coach going after support to split 4A. Talk about turning KS into a laugher. No way should we, the parents and tax payers, let this happen. Enough of this "Its not fair" talk...

Re: rankings by class - 11/06/13 11:54 PM

I have heard that states like CA have only 1 div for high school sports. Is this true? If so, how does such a high population state work their state championship series?

Re: rankings by class - 11/06/13 11:56 PM

Are we just going to have to wait for the state finals to see the 4A & 321A rankings? If so, stop teasing us!
Posted By: RichardDSalyer

Re: rankings by class - 11/07/13 12:30 AM

Originally Posted By: elid2
I have heard that states like CA have only 1 div for high school sports. Is this true? If so, how does such a high population state work their state championship series?
California Interscholastic Federation
Posted By: XGHSWC

Re: rankings by class - 11/07/13 06:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Cokeley
You would think that HS Coaches would be focused on Coaching Wrestling and not worrying about who is ranked where. I know one of the rankers said, and I paraphrase, that he despised the rankings but now he is a ranker?? Go figure. I personally think the KWCA should get completely out of the ranking business and stick to figure out how to improve KS wrestling. Rankings are great for generating interest and providing conversation about wrestling. I think they are the best marketing tool we have. I KNOW that no one will put the time, effort and passion into them that Eric does. I am thankful for his generous donation to the sport and I think this decision was quite disrespectful as they questioned his character and basically ridiculed a fellow coach in the process. Shameful

Ditto on all that.

First of all I agree wholeheartedly that the rankings are very important to our sport and it really annoys me when people hate on the rankings and their value. They are clearly disconnected with reality.

While some parents may know as much or more about their kid's weight and some of the kids they have wrestled, and most coaches know more about their wrestlers and who they have specifically wrestled, no one is more qualified than Eric to access the expansive spectrum of Kansas high school wrestling.

If we didn't have Eric or someone like him, then it makes perfect sense for coaches to handle the rankings. Coaches should be too busy with other things though as they should have lots to do. Time spent on rankings is valuable time wasted that would improve their programs and wrestlers and their classrooms. I can't imagine anyone or anything operating with logic wanting to or choosing to do the rankings when we have Chief available unless you just need another feather in your cap or another item on a resume.

Also Chief is very receptive to input, he has never employed a my way or the high way mentality. You could certainly make a case that he above all is in the best position to be the most unbiased as well.

Not trying to be a hater, just saying it like I sees it. And its actually how I knows it because I didn't just fall off the turnip truck yesterday and land in Kansas Wrestling Land. I have a lot to compare to. But you can still hate on me if it helps you. But either way, have a great day!
Posted By: Scooter

Re: rankings by class - 11/19/13 01:12 PM

I know why 6 are ranked in each class, as 6 medal, however, would it be better to rank 8 in each class to drive even more interest in the sport? Is it easier to promote tournaments or duals if 33% more kids are ranked. A lot of avid fans know who the good unranked wrestlers are, but if the goal of rankings is to draw interest 8 is better than 6. Maybe start with 6 ranked preseason and expand to 8 after the break?
Posted By: PapaSoup

Re: rankings by class - 11/19/13 07:59 PM

I agree Scooter I feel that we need 8 ranked wrestlers at each weight to draw interest of potential match ups
Posted By: REVOLUTION

Re: rankings by class - 11/20/13 01:39 PM

States like CA don't have very many small schools. States in the center of the US are predominatly small (less than 1000 students) Unless we go to radio school or boarding schools like in Austrailia, KS and the center of the US will always have more small schools than large ones. Competition within the teams of smaller schools is lower to earn a varsity spot therefore the overall level of competition in smaller school classifications are lower (in general). Wrestling and other individualized sports provides an avenue where elete small school athletes may compete /w large school athletes, however as teams they cannot. If the CA or East coast formats would be adopted in KS the sport would be dropped at most schools. If this is possitive to the sport than adopt the 1 state tournament philosophy. To split 4A in wrestling does not make since as some Regional brackets are not full now. If you have an 8 man qualifier than many times there could be 1-4 round robin brackets. I don't think any of us are for that.
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums