Kansas Wrestling

Dream Matches

Posted By: Mike Furches

Dream Matches - 02/23/05 04:43 PM

Trying to get challenge matches lined up for the Tyler Graebner clinic in Buhler on Thursday March 3. Who would you love to see go against each other that likely won't get to at state? Would be great to get some of those set up for the clinic. Of course this could include not just high school but maybe a jr. high kid against a high school kid, or a recent college graduate against a high school kid, or maybe two college wrestlers against each other.
Posted By: Aaron Sweazy

Re: Dream Matches - 02/23/05 05:15 PM

Mike, I don't know how many guys are going to be in the Senior Classic, but I think some fun matches would be:

Colby Riffel (Abilene) v. Mike Mancuso (Junction City)

Lance Roe (Norton) v. Chad Schmale (SFT)

Re: Dream Matches - 02/23/05 05:18 PM

When is the Sr. Classic and info on it? Would be a good tune up possibly.
Posted By: Marbla

Re: Dream Matches - 02/23/05 06:22 PM

Do you think there'd be any way to get redshirted college wrestlers to come back?
Posted By: Dingbat

Re: Dream Matches - 02/23/05 06:43 PM

I would like to wrestle Igel Nisom. See if you can set that one up.
Posted By: Computerized Shoes

Re: Dream Matches - 02/23/05 07:07 PM

I would like a shot at Jeff Peterson.
Posted By: Ron James

Re: Dream Matches - 02/23/05 07:08 PM

My vote is for Fatbat and Igel. That would be delicious!!!
Posted By: Marbla

Re: Dream Matches - 02/23/05 07:16 PM

I'd like to wrestle that one guy who I pinned in 10 seconds again.
Posted By: KCWrestlersMom

Re: Dream Matches - 02/23/05 07:23 PM

I believe Senior Classic is at the Expocentre in Topeka the Thursday night before Kids State begins. I think they have changed from an East v. West to a Big School v. Small School format.

Re: Dream Matches - 02/23/05 08:55 PM

I am open to any of these, Nigel has been called out but will wait and see if he responds. Any help on contacting anyone would be great, any wrestler that wants to set it up and let me know will also be great. I have put in a request to Danny DeShazer and his son Tristen. That one could be a lot of fun, I have seen them work out and you got to give it up for the dad there.

Re: Dream Matches - 02/23/05 09:00 PM

Another note on this folks, remember that this is all for a good cause. Tyler's mom showed me one bill for $80,000 that the insurance did not cover, that was one bill out of many more to come. Tyler is a great kid and it would be great to have a number of matches plus some time for all of these wrestlers working with the kids for about an hour. We already have a couple of refs to volunteer helping out so we will have 1 mat with 2 officials on the mat along with score keepers and all. I still have a flyer I can email and hope to have people handing them out at state, we still need people to help with that.
Posted By: Nigel Isom

Re: Dream Matches - 02/23/05 09:13 PM

I don't think my shoulder would hold up for that, it hasn't been right since the surgery, I tried working out with the KSU club team two years ago and it came out then wrestling someone half my size. No... Nigel's glory days of wrestling are over my friends. I appreciate the offer.

Re: Dream Matches - 02/23/05 09:37 PM

I think Nigel could take on officiating duties though? How about it Nigel?
Posted By: Nate Smith

Re: Dream Matches - 02/23/05 09:40 PM

If I wasn't going to be running a marathon in the desert I would love to come back and get in a match. I was only a 1-timer, but I can still hold my own with most people.
Posted By: adolfoliverbush

Re: Dream Matches - 02/23/05 09:42 PM

he wrestles better than he refs

Re: Dream Matches - 02/23/05 09:46 PM

How about college vs high school match with the following:

Tony Lewis (Ulysses/Nebraska Omaha) v Elijah Madison (Sal Central)

Chris Saferite (Augusta/Central Oklahoma) v. Scott Elliott (Augusta)

Cody Garcia (Hutch/UNO) v. Cole Garcia (Colby HS)

Re: Dream Matches - 02/23/05 10:29 PM

We can't have some matchups because guys will be still competing in DII and DI that are on varsity, just thought about that, but could get some good ones still with NAIA and NJCAA open for business. I think DIII is that weekend so there would be Pyle. Hmmm...keep em coming.
Posted By: Shane Koranda

Re: Dream Matches - 02/24/05 12:09 AM

I realize this might be on a bad night/school night, but this look to be a great opportunity for the "Grand State" people are asking for!!!

Get some of these great wrestlers to pony up and find a way to make it and see just who's the best of the best!!!

Maybe they're concentrating on state, but there's no reason why you can't commit for Tyler...
Posted By: Donald Duck

Re: Dream Matches - 02/24/05 01:15 AM

Might be crazy... right now im not out for wrestling... but i want to wrestle the youngest cook kid from hoisington... CRAZY Nigel... i didnt have surgery... but my shoulder has dislocated and tore my rotater cuff... 2 days before kids state.... i had a pritty good shot to:(
Posted By: Bronco Wrestler

Re: Dream Matches - 02/24/05 01:26 AM

Baldridge vs. Weatherbee Again....

Cornejo vs. Grater Again....

Sprigg vs. Madison Again....

Madden vs. Perez....

just a few that would be worth watching

DD-
The youngest Cook of Hoisington is Kolten I think, he and Kody are SWIMMING, yes the all macho sport of swimming (I'm not badmouthing it as I'm a lifeguard and I enjoy swimming, but it's wrestling come on?), so they are on the swim team while Kyle is the only one wrestling

Alex
Posted By: Jeremy Roberts

Re: Dream Matches - 02/24/05 01:36 AM

I think that you should run two mats, try to get all the hs state champs. put a 321A team together, 4A team together, a 5A team together and a 6A team together, let every team compete against each other, would be an awesome night.
Posted By: RedStorm

Re: Dream Matches - 02/24/05 02:10 AM

Hoisington has a swim team? I have been away from western Kansas for far too long....

Re: Dream Matches - 02/24/05 05:25 AM

They must consolodate with somebody! Where do they practice the lake?

Re: Dream Matches - 02/24/05 01:00 PM

So far here is who we have that will definitely wrestle.

Don't want to mention names until after state but so far we have 4 committed wrestlers, but they all need partners, we will go with however many we have but some of the ones offered above would love to have.

The only name I can mention for sure is my son Nathan Furches, between 95 - 110 (weighs 95 but would love to wrestle a state HS placer or champion.)

High school weights so far, don't want to mention names due to they are all still involved in high school state. The weights listed is the weight they are wrestling at at state, may be a little heavier for the challenge.

1 @ 135
1 @ 145 will likely be at 155 for challenge
1 @ 215

Remember guys, I have a job and appreciate as much help as possible as spreading the word around and getting wrestlers. Would also be great to have a top notch girls match or two. Coach Ed or Ms. Jenni you able to help with that.
Posted By: blitzkrieg

Re: Dream Matches - 02/24/05 08:46 PM

Payne - Paola vs Ely - Leavenworth
Posted By: number two

Re: Dream Matches - 02/25/05 01:43 AM

METZLER NEWTON VS PEREZ TOPEKA HIGH

Re: Dream Matches - 02/25/05 11:48 AM

Now let's get some help contacting these individuals to see if they would be willing to give it up. Good luck this weekend guys, will be there enjoying the big show in Wichita with my boy who I hope is there with you on the mats next year, especially good luck to the Edison household, everyone in Derby Green, Chase Moses, Danny Grater, Joe Cornejo, and I could keep on keeping on, by the way Nathan says good luck to Summer roomie, Elijah Madison too.
Posted By: Prant Garker

Re: Dream Matches - 02/25/05 12:01 PM

Any chance we could get Dustin May out of retirement, ye of the Derby Green faithful?
Posted By: abuhu0704

Re: Dream Matches - 02/25/05 01:02 PM

How about prant coming back and wrestiling anyone?

Re: Dream Matches - 02/25/05 01:19 PM

The only thing prant would be good for is a taco eating tournament, in which case he may have a shot
Posted By: Prant Garker

Re: Dream Matches - 02/25/05 03:18 PM

Sadly, I'll be in New York until March 22nd. If someone wants to foot the bill for a ride home, I'd definitely un-hang the purple shoes for this event.

And Nigel, I disagree.

Spelling bee, anyone?

Re: Dream Matches - 02/28/05 12:43 PM

O.K. High School State is over and it is time to get ready for Thursday’s All American Clinic and Challenge Matches in Buhler Kansas. Here is what we have so far and what we still need.

Nathan Furches an 8th grader wants to wrestle a 103 Pound High School Placer, so far Donnie Altman has said maybe. Frankly, I understand, Nathan will only be at about 96, he has to weigh in Friday at 95 for the Wichita Classic and realizes a 103 may be there weighing in as much as 110. I also understand that a high school placer may not want to take the chance on wrestling an 8th grader, but hopefully someone comes through here.

We also have several from Hat Town that is talking about coming down. Sweazy is staying with me some this week, and told me about the guys talking to him and that is great. Gives me a complete new respect for this group.

One of those is Mike Miller, a 145 pounder who will probably be close to 155 at this event. Mike is a Senior at Manhattan High School who has also wrestled with the Junior and Cadet National teams over the last 3 summers. He is a 4X High School State Qualifer and a State placer.

This one is apparently a done deal. Danny DeShazer told me that he would wrestle his son, Tristen DeShazer if Tristen agreed to it. I spoke to Tristen at state and to say the least he is pumped up about this match. Imagine a Father / Son Match with possibly 6 State Championships between them and definitely 5 State Championships. I have seen these two go at it and what I'll say here folks, is that in match competition, I would drive 200 miles to watch it. This is going to be the feature match and will be a war.

The Edison’s Jarrett and Jordon, want to be there but don't know for sure if they will be there yet or not. Hopefully, they are able to show up.

We need more, many have talked about it but few are coming through. It would be great to see some come out of retirement, a 3A Champ go against a 6A champ and on and on. It would also be great to have the Wichita Area support this more. By the way, District 1 raised almost $2,000 for Tyler, District 2 raised over $3,000 for Tyler, Buhler is in District 3, the home district for Tyler, how much money is going to come out of this Clinic, Tyler’s home District for Tyler.

We still need High School Coaches, to help, help promote this among your wrestlers. It goes to help one of our own, an 8 year old little boy, who loves wrestling and is fighting for his life. Aaron Sweazy is going to be there on Thursday as well and he has come up with some dream matches if those individuals will come through. I know there is a tournament on Friday and Saturday, The Wichita Classic, but there is a little boy with cancer who is in a hospital in Kansas City right now fighting for his life that would love to lace up the shoes one more time. Let's make this happen, and let's make it big.

I am asking that all wrestlers who are going to wrestle to please notify me prior to Thursday. It is okay to show up, but showing up will not allow me the opportunity to try and line up a match for you if you want to wrestle. Of course it is great and even preferred if you set up your own match. Please arrive no later than 6:00 if possible. This allows us to set everything up as far as matches and explain how things are going to work. The clinic, led by Eric Akin will start up at 6:30, High School, College Wrestlers and Coaches, this is your chance to give back to some of the kids participating at the clinic. It is also your chance to give something to help for Tyler and his family. We will start live wrestling right after the clinic or instruction part. The time that starts will depend on the number of wrestlers who are helping. We hope to have the clinic and matches complete by 8:30 and everyone out of there by 9:00 or 9:15 at the latest. That means out, believe me high school guys, after you wrestle and help teach, you are going to need a little time to sign autographs, that has been a common thing at all of the clinics and I don’t see that changing here. The kids will swarm to you wanting autographs on everything from shirts, to kneepads and headgear. This event will help you realize how much you mean to these little kids. Coaches imagine having a wrestler who understands the responsibility they have in being a role model to kids and you will understand one of the benefits of having your wrestlers participate in this clinic. These wrestlers will not have many opportunities like this one where they get to rub shoulders with the kids and experience the love and respect of a child asking for an autograph.

I am giving a Kansas All-Time All-American T-Shirt to each participant who wrestles out of my own expense and my own pocket so there is a little reward besides knowing that you did well for these kids. I appreciate it and really believe that many of you are going to come through. Hope to see many of you on Thursday, and if we get so many wrestlers to wrestle that we have to extend the time, so be it we’ll do it.

Please remember, you need a USA Wrestling card to wrestle. There will be 1 day provisional cards available for $5 if you don't have one. The cost for the clinic is a $10 donation and if anyone wants to give more they are welcome to. Individuals that can't afford the $10 can donate what they can.

Re: Dream Matches - 02/28/05 03:07 PM

Hey Nigel, I know you aren't going to wrestle, but how about coming down to help officiate. Would be good to have some folks get to meet you. We have a couple of refs but will hopefully need a couple more.

Re: Dream Matches - 02/28/05 03:32 PM

Mike,

Check your email...

Re: Dream Matches - 02/28/05 03:38 PM

Shane checked the email. Good questions, I will try to be there early myself. We will be using National High School Rules for the matches. I would say regarding the high bridge etc, that we will err on the side of safety.
Posted By: SFoster

Re: Dream Matches - 02/28/05 03:38 PM

Mike,
Can you give more specifics on the clinic?
What time is this going to start?
Who is going to be there?
Posted By: Scooby

Re: Dream Matches - 02/28/05 03:51 PM

Maybe the foster boys should hook up and go after it. I got to witness the bother this past weekend and was surprised to see the skills these brothers had. Congrats to both of you

I would also like to see Marrs at 215 against someone- he wrestles hard and enjoys it alot. I know he had a tough beat in State but he is still great fun for me to watch.

Re: Dream Matches - 02/28/05 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Furches:
I am asking that all wrestlers who are going to wrestle to please notify me prior to Thursday. It is okay to show up, but showing up will not allow me the opportunity to try and line up a match for you if you want to wrestle. Of course it is great and even preferred if you set up your own match.
Please arrive no later than 6:00 if possible. This allows us to set everything up as far as matches and explain how things are going to work.
The clinic, led by Eric Akin will start up at 6:30, High School, College Wrestlers and Coaches, this is your chance to give back to some of the kids participating at the clinic. It is also your chance to give something to help for Tyler and his family.
We will start live wrestling right after the clinic or instruction part. The time that starts will depend on the number of wrestlers who are helping.
We hope to have the clinic and matches complete by 8:30 and everyone out of there by 9:00 or 9:15 at the latest.

That means out, believe me high school guys, after you wrestle and help teach, you are going to need a little time to sign autographs, that has been a common thing at all of the clinics and I don’t see that changing here. The kids will swarm to you wanting autographs on everything from shirts, to kneepads and headgear. This event will help you realize how much you mean to these little kids. Coaches imagine having a wrestler who understands the responsibility they have in being a role model to kids and you will understand one of the benefits of having your wrestlers participate in this clinic. These wrestlers will not have many opportunities like this one where they get to rub shoulders with the kids and experience the love and respect of a child asking for an autograph.

Please remember, you need a USA Wrestling card to wrestle. There will be 1 day provisional cards available for $5 if you don't have one. The cost for the clinic is a $10 donation and if anyone wants to give more they are welcome to. Individuals that can't afford the $10 can donate what they can.
Posted By: shane7

Re: Dream Matches - 02/28/05 10:50 PM

I would like to see a Foster vs. Malloy match
Posted By: Jeremy Roberts

Re: Dream Matches - 02/28/05 11:07 PM

how about Marrs/Platner 3
Posted By: ulysses#11

Re: Dream Matches - 03/01/05 01:26 AM

i got my shot at erisman and got mightily punished for it

Re: Dream Matches - 03/01/05 02:45 AM

Just got in from practice and have some good news and bad news. I am leaving for Kansas City first thing tomorrow morning to be with the family and take Grandma up to be with the family and Tyler as the results from the latest CT Scan comes in. Latest news as of this afternoon is that Tyler will not be at the clinic now. The docs want to make sure he gets all of the radiation treatments and don't miss any treatments. Right now he is eating real food, the tubes are out, he is sitting up becoming more talkative and is getting bored, all good signs. I think all of us understand that he needs to make sure he gets his treatments. I did speak to about 15 Derby Guys tonight and know that some of them are trying to come to the clinic and some will try to find challenge matches. I will have limited access to the computer tomorrow and will not have much time to work on the clinic. Need all of the help we can get and for those getting or wanting matches let me know. My cell number is 316-841-5814. I cannot have it on when I am in the room with Tyler but will have it and check it when in the family room. Thanks again, and lets keep working on this.

Latest news is that we may try and rent a booth or table at kids state for information on Tyler and for the auction items. I checked on getting one donated but they are not going to be able to do that. I understand that but I believe that making information available about Tyler, and having the auction items there will help spread the news. We will be looking for individuals to possibly donate the funds to help purchase the booth space at state. I haven’t checked on the rates for it yet but will be sending out an email tonight. Hopefully if some people can help with this cost we will be able to have a booth set up just for Tyler at Kids State.
Posted By: thirdone

Re: Dream Matches - 03/01/05 04:08 AM

How about Payne and Steinmetz one more time.
Posted By: Coach Brown

Re: Dream Matches - 03/01/05 04:34 AM

I could talk to Allyn about a rematch with Marrs. They both fell short of their goals but I am not sure about times and other things. Please send me an email at juco126@hotmail.com. Allyn is getting ready for Nationals and is ready for redemption after State.
We would both like to help any way we can! Also try to get ahold of Kevin McCullough to ref, he does a heck of a job and is always consistent!
Coach Brown
Posted By: FanFromGtown

Re: Dream Matches - 03/01/05 05:09 AM

What about a rematch of the 4a 215lb match between Lucas Fox {Scott City} vs. Jacob Marrs {Clay Center}or a repeat of the Dexter Deeds (Goodland} vs. Jon Peterson {Abilene} that caused alot of controversy.

Re: Dream Matches - 03/01/05 05:21 AM

Hey guys, haven't been feeling well today after getting home. Mom believes I'm running a fever and I feel miserable...I hope to still be at the clinic Thursday and will also be scheduled to appear on TV on Wednesday for a PBS Survior Panel of Cancer Patients.

I would like to see District 3 come through big on this clinic as it is also the same district as my home club Chapman. I know that a Thursday isn't the most opportune time for some and they complain about school for kids the next day but most kids will sleep on the way home! I would like to see some more dream matches if possible:

Dustin May come out of retirement, everyone is wanting it and I personally want to see you come back and face Baldridge.

I want at least 3 NCKL (Clay Center, Abilene, Chapman, Concordia, Marysville, Wamego) guys to show up.

I want to see a hair v. hair match to really spice up a match. Any two guys with a good set of hair go up against each other and loser must get theirs clipped! (it will grow back!)

Hopefully I feel better and will be there.
Posted By: Computerized Shoes

Re: Dream Matches - 03/01/05 05:24 PM

He'd probably own me but....

"Computerized Shoes vs. Nigel Isom"

That'd be a classic now wouldn't it!
Posted By: psychosteve

Re: Dream Matches - 03/01/05 06:57 PM

a rematch with me and payne would be funny...i don't believe either one of us is in any shape to wrestle right now...plus i wouldn't like to get it handed to me again...lol...but it would indeed be fun to have at it one more time...i don't really think we are in the same weight class anymore though...I am fat...haha

Re: Dream Matches - 03/02/05 02:47 PM

Just added two more but lost the Edison boys due to being sick this week. Please make the effort to show up early as posted earlier, and the more the better.

Others added:

Curtis Chenoweth 160# - 4X State Qualifier, 3X State placer, this year 2nd in state. - tied this year the state record for Takedowns, named outstanding wrestler at Colby Regional Tournament.

Cole Caylor - 171# from Clearwater High School
Posted By: superiorsteve

Re: Dream Matches - 03/02/05 02:52 PM

Psycho ..... are you fat enough to wrestle Angry Steve? ..... that would be a fun exhibition!
Posted By: psychosteve

Re: Dream Matches - 03/02/05 02:58 PM

i wouldn't doubt it...since season got over for me i have done nothing but eat...and it is starting to catch up to me...but i do like food...so its hard to stop....

Re: Dream Matches - 03/02/05 03:10 PM

Who do you have facing Chenowith?
Posted By: ulysses#11

Re: Dream Matches - 03/02/05 03:12 PM

what about colorado v. kansas
ian heinisch from ponderosa v. ross taplin from abilene at 160
i would pay good money to see that

Re: Dream Matches - 03/02/05 04:00 PM

Just added to the roster:

Cole Kreutzer 160#, Pratt High School, State Qualifier

Chase Kreutzer 120# 7th grader - Kids State 7X Kids State Placer 2X

Nathan Furches 103# (95# actual weight) – 8th Grader Derby Middle School, 6X State Champion(Oklahoma & Kansas), Current Cliff Keen All American All-Star, USA Wrestling National Duals All-Tournament Team & Outstanding Wrestler, 31X National Tournament All-American, 3X National Champion

Re: Dream Matches - 03/02/05 05:27 PM

Mike,

Since this is falling on a school night and maybe restricting those who might want to participate due to distance, there might just be a need to do another tournament for Tyler. Maybe a Sunday or if the majority of the state is on spring break later this month...???

Just an idea, I'll be there when needed!
Posted By: ThreePointBuck

Re: Dream Matches - 03/02/05 10:08 PM

Any college wrestlers willing to wrestle Chenoweth. I'd like to see another Nate Allison, of Fort Scot, and Curtis Chenoweth match myself. They had a very good match two years ago at the state tournament in the quarterfinals. Chenoweth ended up winning in overtime with the score being like 12-10 or something like that.
Posted By: Bronco Wrestler

Re: Dream Matches - 03/02/05 10:21 PM

I wouldn't mind doing it but the distance for a school nite is so far, perhaps a saturday clinic or something would work a bit better....i like the idea

Alex

Re: Dream Matches - 03/02/05 10:44 PM

I appologize for not being able to attend, I am already scheduled to close at my other job, I would have loved to come down though.

Re: Dream Matches - 03/03/05 08:17 PM

Been busy all day getting everything ready. Make sure that if you are wrestling that you try to show up at 5:45, this will allow us to get all of the matches set up. If arriving after that, or not calling me at 316 841-5814, we will do our best to work you in on the challenge matches but there will be no guarantee. We will definitely have some live wrestling that will be a lot of fun. Please if you did not email me specifics as to age / year in school / name of school / accomplishments / and weight please call this afternoon so we can get the lineups done. We hope to have all of the wrestlers helping with the clinic right at 6:30 and then ready to wrestle accordingly after the clinic.

By the way, with the great response we are definitely going to try and set something up in the future for Tyler, regarding matches and all on a night when there are no school activities.
Posted By: lilwrestler

Re: Dream Matches - 03/05/05 01:08 AM

I personal like to see a couple of kids go at it from different states:

Tyler Schinn- Pc,OK vs Josh Baldridge-C,KS

Zach Baily-MO vs Jo Cornejo-C,Ks

Geoffrey Tucker-WW,KS vs Lance Thompson-SW,OK

These guys are all monster as I know and Zach Baily is ranked first because I heard he beat the El Reno, OK 135lbs.
Posted By: sftwrestlingfan_05

Re: Dream Matches - 03/11/05 08:09 PM

I would love to see Justin Wiscombe(sft) vs Ross Taplin(Abilene) they are two of the best wrestlers in the state of kansas. I know i would be at that match if they were to wrestle.
Posted By: Ex-tong189

Re: Dream Matches - 03/13/05 11:46 PM

I to would like to see that match although Im going to have to put my money on Taplin just because of his national wrestling accolades. But yes a good match indeed.......I just wish Grater was a little bigger and they could have a best out of three!
Posted By: Roark

Re: Dream Matches - 03/14/05 01:30 PM

Zahm Vs Erisman Again
Posted By: wrestlerkid

Re: Dream Matches - 03/14/05 11:29 PM

Captain Planet vs. The Green Ranger. If that's not a match worth seeing, I don't know what is. I'd also have to say a tag team match between the Ninja turtles and the Power Rangers would be awesome. One last match up for the night as well, Nepolian Dynomite vs. Skeech (from Saved by the bell.)
Posted By: wrestlerkid

Re: Dream Matches - 03/14/05 11:30 PM

*skreech
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums