Kansas Wrestling

TOP HWT's

Posted By: w-coach

TOP HWT's - 01/25/05 07:37 PM

Who are the top HWT's in the state. Ranked or Unranked.
Posted By: Michael Malay

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/25/05 08:18 PM

sprigg madison Brunswig
Posted By: nomad

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/25/05 09:51 PM

Jacob Boor
Posted By: Buck52Wrestler

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/25/05 09:51 PM

Its obvious Malay and Brunswig are from the same town.
Posted By: Yo This Is TO

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/26/05 01:49 AM

then that would make walz one since he beat brunswig at hays

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/26/05 01:58 AM

I forgot about walz
thanx
Posted By: Rhino

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/26/05 03:15 AM

I think the hwt class is down this year. But I would put Caleb Payne at the top of them all. Pretty weak class though.
Posted By: Bronco Wrestler

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/26/05 04:10 AM

Elijiah Madison of Salina Central, i would predict if a Sprigg vs. Madison did happen, Madison would win, any other thoughts?
Posted By: wrestling_grampa

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/26/05 04:22 AM

They did meet, not sure of the score. Madison had spriggs on his back but couldn't get the pin ended up losing to spriggs on point. not to bad for a freshmen. I think if they meet again but I don't think they will Madison would beat him.
Posted By: Dingbat

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/26/05 01:28 PM

Is Catt Mox ranked?
Posted By: mike fairleigh

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/26/05 01:34 PM

Sprigg is the guy. he beats Miller of Scott City, madison, etc. but still is picked by some to lose a rematch. until it happens, sprigg is the guy.
Posted By: Bill Johnson

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/26/05 01:51 PM

Sure, Sprigg is not that good ???: He will be a 4x Hwt state placer (If he does not get injuried) in both 4-A and 3-2-1A. He has been a 3 x Newton TOC Finalist 2 x Champion. He lost in OT his Sophomore year to Mock of Wichita South.
I guess you are right, Sprigg would have to be the underdog.

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/26/05 03:12 PM

When was the last time Salina Central had a state finalist, or even won a dual? I would choose a Norton JV kid over any of central's varsity kids.
Posted By: XGHSWC

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/26/05 04:55 PM

Not over Madison. This kid is for real, but not saying he could or will beat Sprigg. He did almost pin him though.

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/26/05 09:21 PM

but who ended up winning? you have to finsh to get the pin, a lot of very good heavy's have gotten pretty close but the fact that Sprigg wins those close matches speaks a lot to his abilities. Sprigg is still the guy.
Posted By: number two

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/26/05 09:49 PM

dont forget that kid from northwest he gave sprigg all he wanted jessen or somthing like that. thinking hes a 6a state champ but sprigg is the man this year hes beat 5A 6A 4A and all hes faced in 321a humm but he hasnt wrestled payne from paola. hummmmmmmmmmm

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/27/05 12:13 AM

when heavyweights get on their ack their screwed. i thnk if a heavy weight can get off of his backj it makes him even better. sprigg is **** good.

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/27/05 12:30 AM

All the "almost" stuff doesn't mean a thing in the win-loss column
Posted By: SCWRESTLINGFAN

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/27/05 12:41 AM

Miller of Scott City is pretty good too. If I remember right, the last couple of times that he and Sprigg have come up against each other, the match went into double over time and the reason that Sprigg won was because he got choice of top or bottom, because he had first choice goin into the second period. Obviosly he would choose bottom because he knew that Miller couldn't hold onto him. Maybe Michael is just a better wrestler than Guy but if Miller had been on bottom I think the outcome of the match would have been different.
Posted By: Ron Burgundy

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/27/05 12:50 AM

If memory serves me correctly, Sprigg beat Madison 11-5 in the finals of Clay Center. I have lost track of the number of times a tournament title (including last year's 321A state tournament)was riding on Sprigg's shoulders, and he has came through every time. Like him or not, he had a pretty good track record of getting the job done.

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/27/05 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SCWRESTLINGFAN:
Miller of Scott City is pretty good too. If I remember right, the last couple of times that he and Sprigg have come up against each other, the match went into double over time and the reason that Sprigg won was because he got choice of top or bottom, because he had first choice goin into the second period. Obviosly he would choose bottom because he knew that Miller couldn't hold onto him. Maybe Michael is just a better wrestler than Guy but if Miller had been on bottom I think the outcome of the match would have been different.
Maybe Guy should have scored in the first OT so he wouldn't have to worry about holding Sprigg down, kind of like what Sprigg did in the state championship last year????Just an idea.

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/27/05 01:02 AM

Maybe neither of them had a take down in the entire match. The only points they had scored were from the second and third periods, one or the other getting an escape from starting on bottom. I'm not saying that Sprigg isn't a good wrestler, and I sure as heck am not saying that he doesn't have a lot riding on his shoulders, because he does. I'm just saying that in my eyes the matches that these guys have wrestled probably would have turned out differently if Miller had been on bottom in the second overtime.

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/27/05 01:34 AM

Sprigg is good, Payne is better.

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/27/05 02:25 AM

id take sprigg over payne. Miller is a **** good wrestler.
Posted By: Harlow

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/27/05 02:59 AM

Michael if you were at HWT then I would pick you to win the Universe!

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/27/05 03:44 AM

I wouldnt
Posted By: Mike Church Sr.

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/27/05 04:20 AM

Actually I thought the heavy weight div. was having an up year. There's a couple of sleeper's out there that I think will surprise you at state.

Mike Church Sr.
Posted By: for the kids

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/27/05 04:47 PM

Caleb Payne won state at 275 last year and will repeat this year no problem
Posted By: coachtwink

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/27/05 07:01 PM

I have seen both Payne and Sprigg this year, and while both are excellent, I would take Sprigg. He seems to get better the more pressure you have on him. I sure wouldn't bet against him!

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/27/05 09:38 PM

Is Payne a Senior? if so, maybe at the sr. classic there will be an opportunity to get them together. Its too bad that Mr. Sprigg has to wrestle devery single hvy. with a winning record two or three times before he gets the respect that he should have. I posted a few weeks ago that Norton has to actually beat the guys from the 5a and 6a camps before they get any respect and some thought the remark condescending. Well, here we go again, Sprigg is the guy.
Posted By: oldtimer2003

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/27/05 09:53 PM

Very well put Mr. Fairleigh. I think this year has gave a lot of people a wake up call just how tough the 321a schools are. As it looks now Norton is the dominant team of the state and before that Hoxie dominated for a number of years. What is it gonna take before these smaller schools get the credit they deserve.

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/27/05 10:18 PM

I would call the Norton hwt the toughest in the state.

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/27/05 11:28 PM

Rhino obviously hasnt seen Sprigg wrestle.
Posted By: abominable snowman

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/28/05 01:34 AM

totally agree with you, buck 52. rhino just really has no idea.
Posted By: XGHSWC

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/28/05 05:57 PM

I do not believe that any one with any wrestling sense has ever doubted the smaller schools. I know that I did not. One most only check the records to see that. But more likely, many people are probably tired of hearing them blow their horns all the time proclaiming how much better they are than everyone else. I know that I am.
With regard to dominance, this is the type of stuff that people get tired of hearing about.
Norton won state last year but were forth at Newton so no one could say they were absolutely the best. This year they did when Newton...barely. You cannot however say that they are the best team in the state, although they just might be. They have already lost to Clay Center even though they beat them at Newton, so how could that be dominance. Carroll beat Clay Center in a dual and at Newton but they barely lost to Norton at Newton, so once again were is this dominance that is spoke of.
To say that Hoxie was the dominator prior to that is as equally ludicrous. They lost several times throughout their "dominance", like to Manhattan so one could just as equally say that Manhattan dominated the alledged time period.
What about Turner, Abilene, Hutch, Emporia, Ark City, Columbus, Goddard, Goodland, Colby, etc. even other smaller schools like Effingham and St. Francis.

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/28/05 06:14 PM

I think what people are saying is that smaller schools like Norton and Hoxie dominated the 321a circuit. For a school like Norton, who has (I'm assuming) less than 500 students, to be able to finish in the top 10 at Newton, is a testament to their domination. To put forth such great teams consistently with such small numbers is truly a great feat. Imagine what Norton or Hoxie could do if they had, say, Manhattan or Wichita's numbers. Many schools from Wichita have over 1000 students, yet the last Wichita public school I can remember that would hang with an average Norton squad is the WW team from the late 90s that had Gaylen Taylor, Earl Henry, et cetera.
I think that with their small school sizes, to compete year in and year out with the "big boys" IS domination--if not in final scores, than at least within coaching and preparedness.
Posted By: Jim Gaither

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/28/05 08:01 PM

A little off topic but, didn't Earl Henry go on to become a very good LB at Pittsburg State?
Posted By: RJW

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/28/05 08:10 PM

Norton certainly has fewer than 500 students. I would bet they are under 250 or right around there. We have right around 350 at Colby so I would guess Norton is around 250 or maybe a little less.

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/28/05 09:04 PM

Yeah, he was. He was the captain for our Shrine Bowl team. He made fat jokes about me all week. I hate that guy.
Posted By: Old Dawg 21

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/28/05 09:18 PM

To WSEWC:
As I stated earlier in a different thread Norton only loss was because their 140 lb. kid was sick. Otherwise they would of won the Clay Center Invite. Also, they were open @ 189 due to illness. At Newton, they were open @ 160.
Posted By: crazy4wrestling

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/28/05 11:38 PM

Payne from Paola is a junior this year. He won't be wrestling in the senior classic.

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/29/05 02:56 PM

bummer

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/30/05 03:07 AM

The Dominance that I speak of comes from dedication to the sport. 40 percent or more of the male student body out for the wrestling team. entire towns showing up for the league, regional, and state competitions. Teams that win (Norton) giving standing ovations to the team that they beat in the finals (Hoxie) out of respect-- something that you will not see among all the hand gestures and trash talk at the big tourneys. higher placement at the National Senior tournament. Those small towns are able to win those tournaments like Norton won Newton, with a fourth or a fifth of the student body to draw from because they are dedicated as a group. The larger schools are more individually motivated, and I do not see the respect in those schools that I see in the smaller schools. I have all the respect in the world for teams like Turner, Manhattan, and Ark City because they have proven that they are great as teams. You show me a team that has placed wrestlers at the state level for 69 years straight , or a 5a or 6a team with 40% participation, and I will gladly agree that they have the dominance of some of the smaller schools. Alas, that will not be possible in Ks. It is likely that most years a larger school is the best in the state, but not this year.
Posted By: itsme

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/31/05 12:00 AM

i got pinned by madison in very little time at all....hes a strong mutha****er....he has some good throws

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/31/05 01:40 AM

To Buck52, I have seen Sprigg wrestle this year as well as last year. He is good. But i would still take Payne. I watched Sprigg get hammered twice in one tourny last year. I beleive he got stuck and majored at the Classic.

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/31/05 01:58 AM

Yeah, boy your smart Rhino. I thought maybe last year is last year and this year is this year but I might be wrong.

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/31/05 02:03 AM

THIS YEAR, I would take Sprigg over Payne. My top heavyweights would go:
Sprigg
Payne
Madison
Jessen
Miller

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/31/05 02:14 AM

Hey Buck52, just wondering if you have seen Payne wrestle this year and where. Also as close as Millers matches have been with Sprigg he might be a little low on your list.

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/31/05 02:53 AM

Finally someone who kind of agrees with me. Thanks Rino

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/31/05 02:54 AM

sorry mispelled that Rhino****

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/31/05 04:12 PM

all of the guys included on that list are very excellent wrestlers...I think that a match between any of them would end up being close, i dont think that there is a wrestler that is head and shoulders above the rest. The only advantage sprigg has is being able to perform under serious pressure.
Posted By: luvksu

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/31/05 07:24 PM

"To Buck52, I have seen Sprigg wrestle this year as well as last year. He is good. But i would still take Payne. I watched Sprigg get hammered twice in one tourny last year. I beleive he got stuck and majored at the Classic. "

What "classic' are you referring to? I do not remember these events taking place at Hoxie, Clay Center, Goodland, the JR Durham Invite, Newton, MCL, Regional or Sate. Was it at the Panther Classic?

There is no hwt in Kansas that thrives on the pressure of the moment as does Sprigg. The worst thing that can happen to any hwt that he sees is for the match/tournament to be on the line. Michael often underwhlems people with his wrestling, but he ALWAYS rises to the occasion when it is required.

Sprigg over Payne--and it's not close.

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/31/05 10:27 PM

The Goodland Holiday Classic. And yes it did happen. I am not saying Sprigg is not good, if you read my earlier post you will see that I said he was. My personal belief is that Payne is better. Will sprigg win state? Yes. Does that make him the best in the state, Not really. Just the best in 321A.
Posted By: coachtwink

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/31/05 10:32 PM

Who did Sprigg get beat by at the Goodland Holiday classic? What were the scores?
Posted By: hugz

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/31/05 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dingbat:
When was the last time Salina Central had a state finalist, or even won a dual? I would choose a Norton JV kid over any of central's varsity kids.
2002- Chris Flenthrope 5A 189 Runner-up
2001- Chris Flenthrope 5A 189 State Champ

Re: TOP HWT's - 01/31/05 11:20 PM

noone sprigg is undeafated

Re: TOP HWT's - 02/01/05 12:20 AM

It was at last years Classic, so I guess it doesn't matter who. Just two guys that were better than him on that day I guess. Good luck to Mr. Sprigg the rest of the season and beyond, as I've heard that he is wanting to wrestle beyond high school.
Posted By: Mitch103

Re: TOP HWT's - 02/01/05 12:42 AM

The two guys that sprigg lost to was Bedore from goodland and i think the other guys name was Tony Lewis. These two wrestles were good wreslers and if i remember right sprigg wrestled them very well.

Re: TOP HWT's - 02/01/05 12:51 AM

If 12-3 against Lewis and Pinned by Bedore means wrestling them very well, then I have a different idea of very well.

Re: TOP HWT's - 02/01/05 01:07 AM

last year there was no heavyweight in the state that could stay with those two, regardless of class.

Re: TOP HWT's - 02/01/05 01:12 AM

i lasted 1:58 against Lewis How about that

Re: TOP HWT's - 02/01/05 02:28 AM

Bedore and Lewis would have destroyed Payne last year and if you think otherwise Rhino then you are lying to yourself.

Re: TOP HWT's - 02/01/05 02:36 AM

i saw bedore belly to belly(salto) a kid twice in one tounrament at a freestyle tourney

Re: TOP HWT's - 02/01/05 02:45 AM

Sprigg beat Jessen in the finals at Newton and was the best match of the finals but don't forget Jessen had been out for six weeks with a broken ankle. I'm not taking anything away from Sprigg, he is plenty tough but I would like to see that match happen again. Is that possible?

Re: TOP HWT's - 02/01/05 02:48 AM

sprigg also beat madison 11-5 and madison pinned jessen. i know it was a toss abd he ot caught but still. i would go with sprigg

Re: TOP HWT's - 02/01/05 03:03 AM

Maybe if I say Sprigg and Payne are both #1 since they both are undefeated and will never face each other, Rhino will chill out a little bit.
Posted By: crazy4wrestling

Re: TOP HWT's - 02/01/05 04:16 AM

Payne did wrestle Bedore last year at the Bobcat in the finals and Payne was in that match to the very end. He lost but he didn't get "destroyed."
Posted By: GoldenDomer

Re: TOP HWT's - 02/01/05 05:21 AM

I don't think Payne is even a shooin for 1st in 5a. I can think of two guys who can compete with him: Hoffman from Shawnee Heights and this Madison kid from Salina Central.

Speaking of Heavies, one of the guys I'm coaching right now is the Indiana High School Greco Roman Champ. I'd like to see how he could hang in there with the bigguns back home in Kansas.
Posted By: luvksu

Re: TOP HWT's - 02/01/05 01:50 PM

Rhino--thanks for jogging my memory. Too many "classics" and too many matches starting to pile up on this old man!

Caleb Payne is a fine wrestler and with a year left in high school should be a dominating wrestler next year; In '06 the question will be Madison or Payne? He is, however, not in the same category as Bedore or Lewis--not yet anyway.

Sprigg is capable of defeating Payne, handily.
Sprigg is the best HWT in the State this year.
He has defeated Jessen & Madison. No conjecture, and "yeah, but. . ." doesn't count. He has beaten them on the mat.

Re: TOP HWT's - 02/01/05 06:36 PM

Bedore and Lewis faced off four times last year. Now those were some great hwt. matches!!!

Re: TOP HWT's - 02/01/05 10:48 PM

hoffman got stuck by our hwt at hays

Re: TOP HWT's - 02/02/05 12:13 AM

Yes its true Wichita West was tough in the late 90's and I bet if you did some checking you would see that the GWAL was extremely tough. GWAL schools didn't have to leave the city for tough competition. I have seen the light and will admit some of the smaller schools are tough but the GWAL compiled of 6A and 5A schools had its fair share of inividual state champs along with West winning 6a and I think taking 2nd and 3rd in the 90's along with South High taking 2nd as a team just a point or two out of 1st place. Ohh the GWAL isn't one tenth as tough as it was in the 90's but 6a and 5a can still toot their horns with the best and the GWAL may be down a little but we'll be back.
Posted By: jb83

Re: TOP HWT's - 02/02/05 01:39 AM

Hey Malay, Hoffman from Shawnee Heights didn't even wreslte at Hays.....they had some JV kid wrestle because Hoffman told my brother that he couldn't wrestle because he had a concussion. Brunswig beat a kid from SH by the name of Holly or something like that. Just thought that you might want to get your facts straight.
Posted By: GoldenDomer

Re: TOP HWT's - 02/02/05 05:19 AM

Brunswig's still around? I remember wrestling him at Hays... I didn't know he was only a sophomore then.

Chris Holly wrestled Heavy this weekend. He's just a sophomore, and I do believe he was varsity for most of the season last year as a freshman.
Posted By: D. Fairleigh

Re: TOP HWT's - 04/03/05 05:53 AM

Figured I'd bring this back up to the top--- By his impressive run to the Senior National semi finals, Sprigg has certainly set the bar up there quite a ways for the other Kansas guys who will be there in the next two or three years! I believe that none of them will get that far.

Re: TOP HWT's - 04/03/05 01:18 PM

Sprigg is the best in the state period!
To quick.
Does anyone know how he got stuck at nationals tho?
Posted By: Bronco Wrestler

Re: TOP HWT's - 04/03/05 11:49 PM

Sprigg proved he's worth his weight in gold, what a stud...
Posted By: for the kids

Re: TOP HWT's - 04/04/05 12:53 AM

Payne won state twice in a row. Looks good for his senior year.
Posted By: Aaron Sweazy

Re: TOP HWT's - 04/04/05 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by D. Fairleigh:
Figured I'd bring this back up to the top--- By his impressive run to the Senior National semi finals, Sprigg has certainly set the bar up there quite a ways for the other Kansas guys who will be there in the next two or three years! I believe that none of them will get that far.
Might be a good assumption, but personally I'm more impressed with Marrs run to the semis than Spriggs.
Posted By: chewbacca

Re: TOP HWT's - 04/04/05 03:01 AM

I gotta agree with you there Swayz. Marrs literally being a 189lber and making the semi's against that type of competition is remarkable.
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums