Kansas Wrestling

Coaches leaving?

Posted By: excardinal

Coaches leaving? - 03/03/06 06:41 PM

Has anyone heard any rumors about any coaches leaving? Know of any positions opening? Just thought I would check.

Re: Coaches leaving? - 03/09/06 06:23 PM

Been a week thought I would check again? Does anybody know of any Coaching openings?
Posted By: Aaron Sweazy

Re: Coaches leaving? - 03/10/06 02:34 AM

I know of a Middle School head coaching job opening, not sure if you are looking straight up head coach job though for high school.

Re: Coaches leaving? - 03/10/06 02:51 AM

Well, I was thinking of a high school position, I have 4 years of High School head coaching in Oklahoma. Out of 13 wrestlers on the high school team this year I took 5 in 3A to state and had 3 placers. Any help?
Posted By: Mike Furches

Re: Coaches leaving? - 03/10/06 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by excardinal:
Well, I was thinking of a high school position, I have 4 years of High School head coaching in Oklahoma. Out of 13 wrestlers on the high school team this year I took 5 in 3A to state and had 3 placers. Any help?
Who is this? I still own a home in Oologah at Tacora Hills and know of the quality program there at Oologah. Clay Holly and Jody Johnson have been good friends for a number of years.
Posted By: two_dogs

Re: Coaches leaving? - 03/10/06 08:54 AM

Might be an opening
for head coach in
Parsons ks.
Posted By: hugz

Re: Coaches leaving? - 03/10/06 02:56 PM

Dodge City High School is open
Posted By: RedStorm

Re: Coaches leaving? - 03/10/06 03:29 PM

Did Arkansas City fill their position or will Coach Jackson be talked out of "retirement" again?
Posted By: Dawgfan

Re: Coaches leaving? - 03/10/06 06:52 PM

Coach Jackson is retiring from teaching also.
Posted By: RichardDSalyer

Re: Coaches leaving? - 03/10/06 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RedStorm:
Did Arkansas City fill their position or will Coach Jackson be talked out of "retirement" again?
Coach Jackson's great assistant coach Mark Richardson also announced retirement from coaching.
Posted By: furry guy

Re: Coaches leaving? - 03/10/06 08:45 PM

canicarri is out in Parsons. What happened to the guy from Dodge...can't remember his name.
Posted By: Coach Ulmer

Re: Coaches leaving? - 03/10/06 09:00 PM

What happened to Coach Luedke in Dodge?
Posted By: smokeycabin

Re: Coaches leaving? - 03/12/06 03:35 PM

Assistant Coach Calder at St. Thomas Aquinas High School in Overland Park announced his resignation this week - will move back to family and coaching position in Pennsylvania.
Posted By: R. Scott Edwards

Re: Coaches leaving? - 03/14/06 05:09 AM

Nobody knows for sure what happened with Coach Luedke, we read about his resignation last week in the paper. He was an awesome coach and gave all of himself to this sport. He put on summer freestyle for kids free of charge and done summer camps for the kids club also. We will truly miss having him around.

Re: Coaches leaving? - 03/21/06 07:15 PM

Well, I am looking to move to the central or southeast and was looking for positions around there. Does anyone know of openings other than Parsons, in this area?
Posted By: matmopper

Re: Coaches leaving? - 03/21/06 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Jilka:
Last Monday night I accepted a position in my school as an assistant principal, and I will no longer be the coach of Goddard High School. It was a move made primarily so that I can have a greater opportunity to be around my daughters. As I listen to older coaches, I often hear how much their family sacrificed for their coaching careers. I can coach again, but I'll only get one chance to raise my family. I love coaching wrestling, and I will miss it tremendously. I know the program is in good shape, and GHS wrestling will continue to do very well.

I could never walk away from wrestling completly. I plan on getting a firm grasp on my new job and then finding a new way to help the sport, just not one that is quite as time-consuming. I'd like to help organize an OK/KS border battle, work towards a DI program, or help with the rise in women's wrestling. Heck, I may even throw on the stripes occasionally.

I'd like to thank all of the people that have helped me in the wrestling world and all of you I've shared laughs and stories with. There is no greater community than that of the wrestling family. If it weren't for wrestling, I have no idea where I'd be, but I know my life would not be half as good as it is. I've had coaches like Bobby Stein, Gary Harding, Rueben Montoy, Mike Schauer, Wayne Peterson, Wes Harding and Bob Smith. I hope I've influenced young men in the way they influenced me.

Life-long friends are rare in this world, but most of mine are from wrestling. Some started when I was five, like Mike Bammes, and others began as a coach like Brett Means and Joey Vrana. The greatest friend I have was met at a wrestling tournament; my wife, Kerrie.

I could set here and write all day about the great people I've met, but then I'd leave someone out and feel terrible. So, THANK YOU to all of you! Let's keep this wrestling thing going strong and keep one thing in mind...whatever is best for the sport and the kids involved.

Sincerly,
Ryan Jilka
How about this one?
Posted By: KSUCHARGER

Re: Coaches leaving? - 03/21/06 11:07 PM

Good luck with your future endeavors.

Re: Coaches leaving? - 03/28/06 09:40 PM

Can anyone tell me what happened with the El Dorado coach and why he might have left?

Re: Coaches leaving? - 03/28/06 10:50 PM

Quote:
Can anyone tell me what happened with the El Dorado coach and why he might have left?
Coach Gray was informed several weeks ago his contract would not be renewed.

I will not discuss specifics on an internet talk forum.

Re: Coaches leaving? - 03/29/06 01:46 AM

So would that be a good job to apply for if I was looking at coming that way?

Re: Coaches leaving? - 03/29/06 03:17 AM

Quote:
So would that be a good job to apply for if I was looking at coming that way?
Send me a private e-mail and I will provide additional information.
Posted By: Dr. Bailey....

Re: Coaches leaving? - 03/29/06 03:44 PM

I believe Independence is also going to have an opening for gym teacher and wrestling coach.
Posted By: dawgwrasslin

Re: Coaches leaving? - 03/29/06 10:08 PM

all three of ark city's coaching positions are open
Posted By: Jay Gifford

Re: Coaches leaving? - 03/29/06 10:38 PM

The Dodge City High School position is open until April 19th, and interviews will take place the week of April 24th.
Posted By: Beeson

Re: Coaches leaving? - 03/30/06 12:01 AM

Pending board approval Shawn Silvis will be the new head coach for the Ark City Bulldogs. Welcome aboard Coach Silvis we look forward to working for you.

The Ark City Takedown Club
Posted By: statewrestle55

Re: Coaches leaving? - 03/30/06 04:00 AM

One of Rose Hills assistants will not be back next year due to getting into P.A. school
Posted By: mawcoach

Re: Coaches leaving? - 03/30/06 06:42 PM

Andover High (assistant) and Middle School (2 positions I think) will have positions available. If you are interested please contact me at wilburm@usd385.org. I don't have final say on the hirings, but do carry some weight with my suggestions.
Mike Wilbur
AHS wrestling coach

Re: Coaches leaving? - 04/09/06 11:44 PM

Just thought I would check on anything new?
Posted By: Wag

Re: Coaches leaving? - 04/18/06 01:52 AM

HS head job is open in Plainville. Basgall left to coach football at Belle Plaine.
Posted By: munk

Re: Coaches leaving? - 04/18/06 01:36 PM

Heard anything about the Colby job? Anyone know anything out there?
Posted By: I'm your huckleberry

Re: Coaches leaving? - 04/18/06 04:22 PM

Heard on the Radio yesterday that Coach Biems at Colby will be the new AD and will not be the wrestling coach. Also heard Kirk Baker is quiting at Hoxie.
Posted By: Trego Wrestler

Re: Coaches leaving? - 04/18/06 05:09 PM

I didnt know about beims, but i figured Baker might hang it up. Both of them have done incredible jobs.

Re: Coaches leaving? - 04/18/06 05:13 PM

Trego also has a coaching opening. Assistant Kyle Robison is leaving so he could take a job in KC. Best of luck to him.
Posted By: parkwayred

Re: Coaches leaving? - 04/18/06 06:13 PM

Coach Baker will be moving to Manhattan and opening a Tattoo parlor. While in his spare time he will be assisting in the Manhattan wrestling room under his son Travis and Trent. Always an Indian!
Posted By: Wellington Gocke

Re: Coaches leaving? - 04/18/06 06:17 PM

http://www.careerlink.org/poframe.htm?career=&industry=0&key=9/9/7/1&po=001493&use=

Here's a great job out there for anyone wanting to leave Kansas.

Omaha Burke
Posted By: ground-n-pound

Re: Coaches leaving? - 04/18/06 11:52 PM

So what is the story on the Plainville HS Head Job?
Posted By: hmeder

Re: Coaches leaving? - 04/19/06 05:15 PM

Shawn Bammes already lives in Plainville and i think would make a great head coach for Cardinals
Posted By: I'm your huckleberry

Re: Coaches leaving? - 04/20/06 05:46 PM

Just read on another message board that my post about Mitch Biems was not true yet. Sorry if I led anyone astray. The radio progam I heard made it sound like a done deal. I guess it was not.
Posted By: mom4

Re: Coaches leaving? - 04/21/06 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ground-n-pound:
So what is the story on the Plainville HS Head Job?
We talked to Basgall the other day who told us he was leaving to go to Belle Plain. He took a little old school district of Palco to the State Championships in football. I personally feel that he is making the best decision (although I do hate to see him leave) as he will have a chance to go on to another school and hopefully repeat his success. He will be missed by the Palco, Damar and Zurich people. I also know that it was probably hard to teach in one school district and coach wrestling in another. This time, he will be in just one school.

Re: Coaches leaving? - 04/21/06 07:57 PM

Geez Mark. How could you. haha
Posted By: Brock Hartshorn

Re: Coaches leaving? - 04/28/06 06:07 PM

Piper High School has 2 openings both assistant and Head coaching positions.
Posted By: TAlley

Re: Coaches leaving? - 05/16/06 03:12 PM

Augusta is in need of a Head Coach for both the High School and Middle School. Physical Education and Health are the teaching assignments for the High School.
Posted By: lookwhosback

Re: Coaches leaving? - 05/30/06 06:03 AM

Has Piper gotten anywhere with their coaching search?

Re: Coaches leaving? - 05/30/06 06:04 AM

Always thought that would be a pretty good job — Piper — not that long ago it was a pretty tough program, good feeders, etc. and pretty good support
Posted By: A. Oncewas

Re: Coaches leaving? - 05/30/06 03:58 PM

Anybody heard anymore about Hoxie or Colby?
Posted By: Captain Sticks

Re: Coaches leaving? - 05/30/06 04:05 PM

St. Francis is now open also

Re: Coaches leaving? - 05/30/06 05:03 PM

Hoxie, Colby AND St. Francis all open at the same time? WOW

Re: Coaches leaving? - 05/30/06 07:45 PM

I thought someone said the Colby one wasn't true.

Re: Coaches leaving? - 06/10/06 02:19 AM

Just a bump to see if anyone had anything about the Piper jobs
Posted By: P. Pitbull's Old Dog

Re: Coaches leaving? - 06/11/06 10:22 PM

Hayden is looking for a new asst. coach.

I will be teaching and coaching at Turner next year. 6 minute drive instead of 60. What will I do with the 9 hours a week I will be saving, let alone the money on gas?

Lift, so I will be able to see my toothpick arms again!

Yea men,

Coach Peterman
Posted By: chewie

Re: Coaches leaving? - 06/11/06 11:50 PM

I see that the head job at Wamego is open now also.
Posted By: RedStorm

Re: Coaches leaving? - 06/12/06 03:12 AM

Cograts on the move Coach Peterman. Will you be working at all with the newly reinstated Junior High program? My former asst. coach took the assistant pricipals job at the middle school over there so at least there will be administrative support for it. Realizing that, I guess I'll be looking for a coach in the upcoming year as well. Good luck in your new position.

Re: Coaches leaving? - 06/14/06 02:05 AM

Isn't Wamego open on a fairly regular basis?
Posted By: chewie

Re: Coaches leaving? - 06/14/06 02:58 PM

Yep

Re: Coaches leaving? - 06/14/06 04:12 PM

What happened with the Garnett Position? I just noticed it was open also.
Posted By: NWKFAN#1

Re: Coaches leaving? - 06/17/06 06:42 PM

Goodland is open.

Re: Coaches leaving? - 06/18/06 05:03 PM

OK, let me get this straight....

Colby, Hoxie, St. Francis and now GOODLAND?

Wow....
Posted By: NWKFAN#1

Re: Coaches leaving? - 06/19/06 01:22 AM

Goodland loses head coach Randy Bahe and if they move, which is the rumor I've heard, they lose the best wrestler on the team in his son. Tough hit for the Cowboys. Any news on a replacement for Coach Bahe?
Posted By: Scarecrow_103

Re: Coaches leaving? - 06/19/06 01:26 AM

c'mon bahe move to lawrence, hahaha, realy i wonder who will replace him.
Posted By: sportsfan02

Re: Coaches leaving? - 06/19/06 02:58 AM

Maybe the internet makes it more noticeable, but does anyone recall as much coach movement as has happend this year? Not just in wrestling but all sports.
Posted By: tommyt

Re: Coaches leaving? - 06/19/06 02:53 PM

Does anybody know where Coach Bahe and his family might be moving to? That would be a huge pickup for some team. Getting a great coach and a great wrestler in one. Well good luck Coach Bahe where ever you are going.

Re: Coaches leaving? - 06/20/06 11:01 PM

To tell the truth, coach movement is not that unusual anymore. It has become harder to be a coach (in any sport).

When those of my generation competed, your high school coach automatically got your respect and the respect of the parents and community because the were the coach. That isn't the case anymore.

Parents who never wrestled but have a few years of watching kids wrestling under their belts think they're smarter than the high school coach. The wealthier of these parents send their kids to this camp or that camp with coaches there who say whatever the parents want to hear. Now they're smarter than the high school coach.

And now we have kids who you can't talk mean to or parents who have coaches and/or ADs on speed dial to complain about everything from fairness of wrestleoffs to the color of singlets being too revealing (don't laugh, it's happened).

And, of course, we have the Richards of the world to whom we are all answerable at all times.

It is sad to say but coaching has become a tougher profession — not just because of competition, but because it tougher to get people to leave you alone to coach.

And it happens, even to the best. Even top notch coaches get this treatment. They may not want to admit it publicly, but trust me, it happens. At some point enough becomes enough and they move on.

I truly hope that Coach Bahe moved on for all the right reasons (like a new challenge or opportunity) and not because of the problems that have been created.

Re: Coaches leaving? - 06/21/06 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chewie:
I see that the head job at Wamego is open now also.
Where is Coach Ewing going? Heck a few years ago they had the coach of the year, then voila...forced out by administration there.

Re: Coaches leaving? - 06/21/06 02:42 PM

I heard olathe East needs a new head coach.

Re: Coaches leaving? - 06/21/06 02:48 PM

Anderson County, Goodland, Colby, Wamego, Wellington, and Winfield.
Posted By: HSKRWRSTLNG

Re: Coaches leaving? - 06/21/06 06:43 PM

Coach Gonzales was not forced out at Wamego. He chose to move to Florida to pursue other interests. He is now in Iraq serving his country.
Posted By: NWKCAT

Re: Coaches leaving? - 06/22/06 05:57 PM

Bahe is maoving to Great Bend

Re: Coaches leaving? - 06/22/06 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by NWKCAT:
To be their wrestling coach?

Re: Coaches leaving? - 06/23/06 09:04 AM

Crusader assistant to take over wrestling program

Published: Thursday, June 22, 2006 2:14 PM CDT

Jesse Dale to take over reigns next season

Wellington - When Jesse Dale returns to school this fall things might be familiar - teaching physical education, assistant football coach, etc., but after football season is over things will change.

Come the winter sports season, assistant wrestling coach will begin in earnest the job he was official named to Wednesday.

Dale takes over as head wrestling coach for Curtis Gocke.

Gocke, a native of Nebraska, returns to his home state to take over the wrestling program at Plattsmouth High School, just south of Omaha.

For Dale, it is his second year at Wellington High after a stint at Arkansas City High School, his alma mater.

While at ACHS he served as assistant football, wrestling and baseball coach.

As assistant baseball coach to Aaron Bucher, Dale played a major part in the Bulldogs 2002 State Baseball Championship.

After high school, Dale graduated from Butler County Community College in El Dorado and Southwestern College, Winfield.

While at Southwestern, Dale played football for current Friends University head coach Monte Lewis.

Dale is the third wrestling coach at Wellington High School in the last three years.

Re: Coaches leaving? - 06/23/06 10:36 PM

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Price, Konrade, Brenn hired

By Courier Staff

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

The Winfield school board officially hired three new varsity coaches for the 2006-07 season Monday evening at its regularly scheduled meeting.

Andrew Brenn was named head coach of the Winfield High School wrestling team.

Brenn replaces Lance Lusk, who resigned in May.

More details will be available in future editions of the Courier.

Re: Coaches leaving? - 06/23/06 10:37 PM

Former Winfield High School wrestling coach Lance Lusk is the new wrestling coach at El Dorado High School!

Re: Coaches leaving? - 06/23/06 10:50 PM

Wrestling coach, elementary principal resign

BELINDA LARSEN Assistant News Editor
June 13, 2006

Augusta's Board of Education met in a special meeting Monday evening to discuss personnel and the district food service agreement.

An executive session of the Augusta School Board was held Monday evening to discuss personnel issues.

The following resignations were accepted and announced:

Terry Alley, high school PE/Health/Wrestling

In a letter dated May 15 and submitted to Board of Education, Terry Alley indicated that he would be applying for early retirement after 11 years working in the Augusta school system.

New hires for the district included:

Brandon Terry, AHS PE/Health/Wrestling
Posted By: jeffroberts

Re: Coaches leaving? - 06/24/06 12:06 AM

I worked for the current administrator at Wamego for 5 years. She left to become the principal at Wamego at the end of the 5 years. Our staff moral declined severely in the five years she was our principal. I spoke to a basketball coach from Wamego several years later, he left after one year. Her adminstrative style in his opinion, had not changed, his comment was "I would not walk across the street to **** on her if she was on fire." I cannot imagine someone enjoying working for that administrator.

Re: Coaches leaving? - 06/24/06 01:42 PM

Wondered what was going on at Wamego — that had always been a pretty solid program. Unfortunately, unsupportative administration can make a place fairly unpleasant to be around.

Re: Coaches leaving? - 06/24/06 01:45 PM

And I guess that would also explain what was going at Hiawatha prior to that...

Re: Coaches leaving? - 06/24/06 02:03 PM

I guess there are unsupportive administrations in Iowa too?

Re: Coaches leaving? - 06/24/06 09:19 PM

The wamego adminstrator was previously at Horton High School.

Re: Coaches leaving? - 06/24/06 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffroberts:
The wamego adminstrator was previously at Horton High School.
One would expect an individual who confuses Xanadu with Vinton, Iowa to be, well, confused.

Our friend from Xanadu (Vinton, Iowa) has recently resigned another high school wrestling coaches postion.

Perhaps the former coach will find success in his new position as Publisher/Editor of the weekly Vinton Eagle newspaper.

The Vinton Eagle

Re: Coaches leaving? - 06/25/06 01:08 AM

Richard, you know what? You are really full of it.

For your information — and I realize fact aren't terribly useful to you, but what the heck — my wife and I started the newspaper ourselves last June as a new business venture. I knew going into this season that trying to juggle a business and being head wrestling coach was going to be difficult. We managed a season that saw us finish up tying the school record in dual meet wins and have seven wrestlers finish with 28 wins or more.

On top of the new business, my father was recently diagnosed with Alzheimer's which has also forced me to divide my focus. I needed to make a choice and the choice was to place my family and my new business first. We were fortunate to get a former Hall of Fame coach who lived in the area to take over the program and keep things going in the right direction. And I will not miss a meet as I will be covering the wrestling program.

Richard, you are a sad and pathetic human being and you always have been. For you to make a comment about me having to give up coaching because of other factors in my life without having the slighest idea what you are talking about only proves that. From the time I started coaching in Kansas you have attempted to belittle me to make yourself feel better. My father's illness and the need to keep my business going were the factors, and you are utterly contemptable for trying to spin it otherwise.

In the future Richard, you why don't you keep you mouth and keybord shut until you actually know what you are talking about.

Oh, and thanks for the plug for the paper. I only hope to someday be as perfect as you.
Posted By: voice of reason

Re: Coaches leaving? - 06/25/06 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lookwhosback:
Richard, you know what? You are really full of it.

For your information — and I realize fact aren't terribly useful to you, but what the heck — my wife and I started the newspaper ourselves last June as a new business venture. I knew going into this season that trying to juggle a business and being head wrestling coach was going to be difficult. We managed a season that saw us finish up tying the school record in dual meet wins and have seven wrestlers finish with 28 wins or more.

On top of the new business, my father was recently diagnosed with Alzheimer's which has also forced me to divide my focus. I needed to make a choice and the choice was to place my family and my new business first. We were fortunate to get a former Hall of Fame coach who lived in the area to take over the program and keep things going in the right direction. And I will not miss a meet as I will be covering the wrestling program.

Richard, you are a sad and pathetic human being and you always have been. For you to make a comment about me having to give up coaching because of other factors in my life without having the slighest idea what you are talking about only proves that. From the time I started coaching in Kansas you have attempted to belittle me to make yourself feel better. My father's illness and the need to keep my business going were the factors, and you are utterly contemptable for trying to spin it otherwise.

In the future Richard, you why don't you keep you mouth and keybord shut until you actually know what you are talking about.

Oh, and thanks for the plug for the paper. I only hope to someday be as perfect as you.
This is not the first time he has done something like this. What I want to know is why a moderator and board member of Kansas Kids Wrestling is allowed to continue this type of behavior?

Re: Coaches leaving? - 06/25/06 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by voice of reason:
This is not the first time he has done something like this. What I want to know is why a moderator and board member of Kansas Kids Wrestling is allowed to continue this type of behavior?
Done something like what? Everything appears factual in what Richard posted. Not very negative either. Besides, Coach/Publisher Holmes mentioned Richard first in his previous post.
Posted By: mom4

Re: Coaches leaving? - 06/25/06 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sportsfan02:
Quote:
Originally posted by voice of reason:
Done something like what? Everything appears factual in what Richard posted. Not very negative either. Besides, Coach/Publisher Holmes mentioned Richard first in his previous post.
I don't know if I agree with you. I am just reading this topic as a "mind-candy" experience myself but I took Richard's reply to be a mean-spirited way of suggesting that the problem may be with the coach and not with administration. Of course, he would never admit that that's what he was implying. However, there may be many other readers out there who would read his comment the same way as I did. I do think a clarification was needed. Sometimes, just because you read something on the internet or in ONE newspaper clipping does not mean you know everything about a situation.

On a side note, I don't think it was particularly a good thing to call out the administrator by posting the school name. I do not know anything about this administrator (not even her name) or the situation but I still don't think anyone should publically (and the internet is about as public as you can get) belittle someone else.

On the whole though, I do agree that it seems there are many coaches in all sports leaving at an increased rate. I also agree that a lot of it comes from everything that was noted in the post before. Parents, administrators, school board members and even the student athletes themselves can all have a impact on a coach.

Re: Coaches leaving? - 06/25/06 03:12 PM

And I acknowledge that I noted where jeffroberts currenly was and took that wrong. I recall the struggles Hiawatha's program was undergoing right before I left, but I apologize for getting that wrong.

Re: Coaches leaving? - 06/25/06 05:36 PM

Hiawatha had a very successful season this year. I don't think they had won a dual in a few years. This year they were in the top one or two in the big seven league, qualified 4 wrestlers for the 4A State meet. This was a tremendous improvement over the previous years. They did loose a lot to graduation, they will have to rebuild next year, they had good coaches in Scott Koranda and Rod Spellman. I don't know about administrative support, I certainly never saw anything negative. I assume it was all positive because of that. This program can continue to get better, they had some talented underclassmen this year.

Re: Coaches leaving? - 06/25/06 06:00 PM

Glad to hear it — that was a very strong program when I got to Kansas, but the year they hosted Regionals (2004) they didn't even get a state qualifier. Glad to hear the rebuilding is coming along so well.
Posted By: CoachEwing

Re: Coaches leaving? - 06/26/06 01:55 AM

I would just like to clarify a few things. There has been a lot of negative talk about Wamego and the wrestling program. It is a great program, a great community, and a good administration. They do not support wrestling a whole lot, but they are fair. I don't know too many schools that go out of their way to really support their wrestling teams, unless there is someone in the administration that has wrestled or has a son wrestling. Wamego is a good solid program that happens to be in one of the toughest leagues in the state. The NCKL is a tough league and it has been a fun league to coach in. I would like to thank all the coaches for the last two years, it has been an honor to coach with you guys. You all truly run class act programs. These two years have been fun and definitely exciting. When you are in this league you take your lumps, but Wamego definitely has some kids that have came on strong and the team should be very competitive this next year. They are going to have a very solid group of Seniors and Juniors and they should have a lot of success. It has been a very hard decision to leave. The kids are great, the school system is good, and if you haven't ever visited Wamego you should. It is a very nice community. My family and I are moving to Texas where both my wife and I have received jobs. I will be coaching at Klein Oak High School, which is a suburb of Houston. I hope this clears everything up a little bit and the only reason behind me leaving is because of family and opportunity. I hope Wamego finds a good replacement for a coach and if you are looking it is a good position. Thanks for all Kansas wrestling and the Kansas Wrestling Community has done for my family and give me a holler if you are ever in Houston.

Go Wamego Red Raiders and good luck guys.

Thanks,

Coach Ewing
Posted By: grandad

Re: Coaches leaving? - 06/26/06 03:12 AM

I have been sitting here reading about Wamego wrestling program and Hiawatha wrestling and I went to school in Wamego and Moved to Hiawatha when I was 20 so I think I should have my say in this. First off I think Wamego has a good wrestling program and making a coachs change will not hurt the team that much and the people of Wamego need to back the new coach and the kids all they can, theres nothing better than suporting kids in any sport but wrestling is by far the hardest sport in Hi School and most of the kids that do well have wrestled in the kansas kids wrestling for years. by the way I just turned 63 and still coach in hiawatha kids club.
Now for Hiawatha and there team, I hope all the coachs in 4a can remember a few year ago when a coach named Rod Spellman took a group of kids with four sophmores and a freshman and the rest were upper classman and won regionals at marysville with the best 4a schools there including Wamego and since then Hiawatha has been down and I feel its not the coaching staff thats at falt its the sign of the times in that kids do not work at it like they use to, and I don,t think you can blame the school coachs its the kids that are at falt.
Rod Spellman steped down this year and will still teach the middle school wrestling but I feel somewhat like its my falt because in the last few years we have had two or three parents brake up the wrestling program in our kids club and that is one reason our hi school has not been getting better in numbers like other schools. We lost four kids to a club that should be wrestling in Hiawatha and I started a new club this year and took three to kids state and two kids took third both Hi School wrestlers. So I think it time to stop blaming coaches or the school people and lets take a good look at the parents and there kids and make the coaches glad they are coaches.

Re: Coaches leaving? - 06/26/06 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RichardDSalyer:

WHOA...just caught that, so who is taking over for the Herington Railers?

Re: Coaches leaving? - 06/26/06 12:36 PM

Coach Ewing,
Thank you for reminding us of a couple of things. Number one, just because one person had problems with an administator doesn't mean the administrator in question is at fault. It is a small percentage of people who can accept blame for their own failings. Given a bad review or evaluation most people will look outside themselves for the reason.
Number two, a good coach doesn't need a totally supportive administration to be successful. The fact is, this state is dominated by administrators who grew up playing ******ball. It is funny how the best coaches don't allow unsupportive administrators or meddling parents/fans to keep them from being successful.
Best of luck to you in your new job.
Posted By: wrestling parent

Re: Coaches leaving? - 06/26/06 06:51 PM

I understand Coach Ewing is leaving and it would be nice if he told his wrestlers!
Posted By: Ryan Jilka

Re: Coaches leaving? - 06/27/06 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Sweazy:
Quote:
Originally posted by RichardDSalyer:

WHOA...just caught that, so who is taking over for the Herington Railers?
Great question, Aaron. I thought Coach Terry was an outstanding coach. The year Herington came to our tournament they were as tough and well prepared as any team there.

I know he'll do well in Augusta.

Re: Coaches leaving? - 07/06/06 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sportsfan02:
Quote:
Originally posted by NWKCAT:
To be their wrestling coach?
The Goodland Star-News / Tuesday, July 4, 2006

Coach moving to Great Bend

Former wrestling coach Randy Bahe said Monday he always will be a Cowboy, but he is leaving his farm and moving to Great Bend to work as an insurance agent.

Bahe said he has been out of town training with Shelter Insurance for the past two weeks, and begins his new job on Wednesday. Bahe’s resignation as wrestling coach was accepted at a Goodland School Board meeting on June 19, and the board hired his assistant from last season, Joe Stramek, as the wrestling coach

“I hate to leave my lifetime home,” Bahe said, “but I have to make a living.”

Bahe, who has been farming west of the city, said he has not been able to make it work. He said his troubles had been compounded by the drought.

Bahe has coached the Cowboys wrestlers for five years, placing second two years, third two years and 10th one in the Class 4A state tournament.

“I hate to give up coaching,” he said. “That is something that has been near and dear to me. I wrote an e-mail to all my wrestlers telling that I was resigning. I told them I would always be a Cowboy and would be watching the team.”

Bahe said he had looked for an opportunity in the Goodland area but did not find one.

“I know I have made a lot of friends through the wrestling program,” he said. “There have been a lot of supportive people and we will miss that.”

Bahe said he is glad Stramek will take over the wrestling program.

“He will do a good job,” Bahe said. “He comes from a great wrestling program in high school and wrestled in college.

“He did a good job last year helping me, and I know he will do a good job with the program.”

Stramek was as a student teacher from Fort Hays State University for Dennis Stone at Goodland High last year. He will teach math besides being a coach this fall.

Re: Coaches leaving? - 07/06/06 12:42 AM

Highland Park hires Canacari as football coach

Author: Mack McClure
Date: June 13, 2006
Publication: Parsons Sun (KS)

Tony Canacari didn't have to wait long to land another high school football coaching job.

Canacari, who did not have his coaching contracts renewed at Parsons High for football, wrestling and golf for the upcoming school year, has accepted the position of head football coach at Class 5A Highland Park in Topeka. He will teach physical education, and will also be an assistant for wrestling and track and field for the Scotties..

Re: Coaches leaving? - 07/13/06 08:07 PM

Latest Job Posting: 07-13-2006

Position: Assistant Wrestling Coach

Job Description: Assistant Wrestling Coach at Council Grove High School

Accepting applications through July 31, 2006.
Please contact Corey Reese, Activities Director for further information.

Contact Information:
USD 417 Morris County
17 S Wood Street
Council Grove, KS 66846
Council Grove High School
Corey Reese
creese@cgrove417.org
Phone: (620)767-5149
Posted By: grandad

Re: Coaches leaving? - 07/30/06 11:30 PM

Hiawatha has a new asst. wrestling coach to take Rod spellmans place. His name is Donnie Stone and he wrestled for Rod Spellman back when Hiawatha was a great wrestling team and after Rod went to the middle school as there wrestling coach Donnie got the job. Hiawatha will be down a little this year but in a year or two they will be back and we can only hope to be able to win a lot more matches, we have some good kids now but the eight grade class this year will be able to fill the holes next your.
Posted By: STUDZ

Re: Coaches leaving? - 10/17/06 08:55 AM

WHAT ABOUT MANHATTAN OPTIMIST KIDS CLUB? BRAD JOHNSON HAS STEPPED DOWN AS HEAD COACH. WE DO HAVE A REPLACEMENT, I THINK?!

Re: Coaches leaving? - 10/17/06 11:56 AM

Originally Posted By: STUDZ
WHAT ABOUT MANHATTAN OPTIMIST KIDS CLUB? BRAD JOHNSON HAS STEPPED DOWN AS HEAD COACH. WE DO HAVE A REPLACEMENT, I THINK?!

You are more likely to get a reply over on the kids board.
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums