Kansas Wrestling

Girls State tournament great but for one problem..

Posted By: TrooperBen

Girls State tournament great but for one problem.. - 02/28/20 02:47 AM

I was at a GREAT EVENT today but couldn't stay for everything so I was looking through the brackets this evening to see how it all ended for girls competing at the State Tournament.
I noticed 6 of the 11 weight classes had to forfeit the 5/6 place match due to having wrestled 5 matches for the day.

Bad way to have those six, 6th placers end their season........
Posted By: jcchristenson

Re: Girls State tournament great but for one problem.. - 02/29/20 05:46 PM

I was very happy with the girls state tournament, but that issue needs fixed. I hope they go to a two day tournament with 16 girls per bracket next year.

In fact, this year there were two cases of a girl beating her opponent in the first round, and then being forced to forfeit to that same girl in the 5/6 place match because the winner of the initial match hit her match limit at the 5/6 place rematch.....BAD deal!
Posted By: J. Besco

Re: Girls State tournament great but for one problem.. - 03/07/20 04:36 PM

I liked the one day format. The state has the ability to to allow an exception to the match rule for this tournament, other states adopt exceptions to the rules.

I think that the overwhelming majority of our Hs wrestlers wrestle club, or have wrestled club. Sometimes those kids wrestle 7-8 times in a 4 hour period, even more if they are double dipping. It wouldn’t be a big deal at all for the state to allow the girls a 6th match for state.
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums