Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
The Chenoweth & Newman Jet #86069 11/03/05 06:24 PM
Mike Furches Offline OP
OP Offline
Chenoweths first college match up.

I left my meeting early to make sure I could see as much of the dual as possible. I had a young man I was introducing to York’s head coach but I also had a few fellows for the Newman squad I wanted to see, none more so than Clearwater’s Curtis Chenoweth.

Upon arriving I could tell that the studly 165 pound wrestler from Newman had had a good day. While he had cut the 5 pounds he needed to make weight, he was using the hunger as anger to get ready for his match.

It was obvious from the opening announcements that Chenoweth was a Jet ready to take off and destroy the panther that lay near him. That was one of the things that made it tough. It was hard for me to yell against a panther, after all, that is my son’s mascot. But on this night, I was reminded that I lived in the Air Capitol of the World, and for this occasion, I was wanting the Jet to fly high.

Things got off to a rocky start, there was the open guy from York that got beat right off the bat by Copeland but then York came back for 2 victories including the nail biter, get up out of your seat jumping match between Settle from York and Arveson from Newman. The score was close and the dual was still up for grabs.

Sprague and Leis both chalked up falls for Newman prior to the Chenoweth match. It was what I had come for, it was the moment I had looked forward to. I knew from talking to Curtis mom, who I was sitting with, that Curtis was angry as a bull out of Clearwater and that he was ready to fly. I could almost hear in the background the song, “I believe I can fly…” Chenoweth had that look that he had prepared for all through kids club at TOHK, Clearwater, high school at Clearwater where he took up the label of “takedown king.” Would his takedowns be effective tonight? We would soon find out. Chenoweth was the man, he looked like it, and I can’t recall ever seeing him so angry, but yet, focused.

Then they call him out to face, …… what, it is that open guy again! That poor boy had to wrestle 3 times against Newman. Against the 125 pounder, now against Chenoweth at 165, and later on against McGrew at 197. What was up with that? This kid just wasn’t that good, why would they match him against 3 of Newman’s wrestlers?

To make a long story short, Chenoweth disposed of him, just as his teammates did at other weights. It didn’t seem like it took very long. As a matter of fact, the most memorable thing was seeing his hand raised in his first college match, and then almost forgetting to go shake hands with Coach Dudrey from York. It was kind of funny though, despite the win, Chenoweth looked like he still had that look of anger on his face. He wanted tougher competition. Open from York was not whom he wanted, he had actually faced tougher wrestlers than him when wrestling for TOHK. College wrestling was supposed to be about competition, he wanted more of it. It was hard to explain, I don’t know if I could do it or not, I will say this though, the next time that Open kid shows his face, Chenoweth is libel to make him swallow a few teeth. It was obvious that getting a win was important, but he wanted more competition than what he had just seen. With an attitude like that, he, nor the rest of the Newman crowd can’t help but be like a big ol jet this year. Waiting to take off, see the world, and take care of business faster than a Concord from London to New York.

Re: The Chenoweth & Newman Jet #86070 11/03/05 07:21 PM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
LOL! I got the memo that he got the Forfeit last night. Give some details on Arveson match if you remember them.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: The Chenoweth & Newman Jet #86071 11/04/05 02:30 AM
C
Curtis Chenoweth Offline
C
I feel bad for that open guy, what a rough night he had...

Curtis Chenoweth
Re: The Chenoweth & Newman Jet #86072 11/04/05 02:55 AM
J
Jrsmith Offline
J
Wow.

Re: The Chenoweth & Newman Jet #86073 11/04/05 06:54 AM
EYEofTHEtiger_133 Offline
You guys really need to get a new topic to expand on... open weights happen in wrestling all the time, especially when you have a team that is only in their second season (York). Let's wait and hype up these Newman boys when they actually get on the mat with some competition. See ya on December 8th in Wichita!

Take Care Of Business!
Re: The Chenoweth & Newman Jet #86074 11/04/05 11:31 AM
Mike Furches Offline OP
OP Offline
Don't read in more than is there, just having fun with Chenoweth. I think he got it. I know about York, remember the comment that I was there to introduce a wrestler to Coach Dudrey?

Re: The Chenoweth & Newman Jet #86075 11/04/05 10:07 PM
C
Curtis Chenoweth Offline
C
We're a second year program....

Curtis Chenoweth
Re: The Chenoweth & Newman Jet #86076 11/04/05 10:50 PM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
Yea there are plenty of 2nd year programs this year and a lot of new ones too as an "official team" York is the 5th best team in Nebraska. Then again they have stricter guidlines to get into that school then NU, Dana, UNK, or Chadron State.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
Re: The Chenoweth & Newman Jet #86077 11/05/05 07:17 AM
EYEofTHEtiger_133 Offline
So, York is the 5th best program in NE behind what... all I have to say is that when the Newman boys meet up with some men the results will be a little different than when they meet up with some opens... once again see ya boys on December 8th in ta town.

Take Care Of Business!
Re: The Chenoweth & Newman Jet #86078 11/05/05 05:23 PM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
Quote:
Originally posted by EYEofTHEtiger_133:
So, York is the 5th best program in NE behind what... all I have to say is that when the Newman boys meet up with some men the results will be a little different than when they meet up with some opens... once again see ya boys on December 8th in ta town.
5th behind:

Nebraska
UNO
Dana
Chadron St.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
Re: The Chenoweth & Newman Jet #86079 11/05/05 06:42 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Sweazy:
5th behind:

Nebraska
UNO
Dana
Chadron St.
The all knowing Sweazy left off University of Nebraska-Kearney!

"Lopers Have Another Top 10 Finish

Kearney, Neb. – At the NCAA Championships in Omaha, the 3rd-ranked Nebraska-Kearney wrestling team had four All-Americans and finished in the top 10 for the sixth time since 1998.

UNK scored 54.5 points to place sixth while host UNO rallied to win its second straight national title (109.5). Augustana was runner up (101.0) with Minnesota State-Mankato coming in third place (77.5)."

UNK would place third behind University of Nebraska-Lincoln (Cornhuskers) and University of Nebraska-Omaha.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: The Chenoweth & Newman Jet #86080 11/05/05 06:48 PM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
Oh whoops! Major mistake! Good catch Richard! UNK is a great team and well coached. Probably one of the fastest rising teams in recent memory when it comes to talent. They have a solid group of guys and usually steal a good handful of talent from right here in the state.

OK...that means York is 6th best. I think that is all now!

We need to add a 6th program in Kansas to match Nebraska. They have 3 DII, 2 NAIA, and 1 DI!

We have them beat on Jucos though!

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
Re: The Chenoweth & Newman Jet #86081 12/04/05 05:37 PM
A
acbulldog Offline
A
Whats up with bronco wrestler is he gonna wrestle a match this year in college, I know hays tourny is a open so you can't blame it on not being on varsity.

Re: The Chenoweth & Newman Jet #86082 12/04/05 08:49 PM
B
Bronco Wrestler Offline
B
Quote:
Originally posted by acbulldog:
Whats up with bronco wrestler is he gonna wrestle a match this year in college, I know hays tourny is a open so you can't blame it on not being on varsity.
I didn't make weight at 141 and I wasn't going to wrestle 149 as I'm way to small. I chose instead to go TMP and watch my little brother wrestle. I will not wrestle next weekend at the UNK open as I'm scheduled to officiate the Colby Dual Tournament. So I'm sorry I do not believe I will be wrestling in any tournaments this year.

Alex R. Ryan
KSHSAA Official #15616
USAWKS Official #707
Re: The Chenoweth & Newman Jet #86083 12/04/05 09:39 PM
C
Curtis Chenoweth Offline
C
There were some engine troubles that went unchecked prior to countdown that affected the flight. I'll definitely have to make sure to take care of those things before hand.

Curtis Chenoweth
Re: The Chenoweth & Newman Jet #86084 12/04/05 11:59 PM
B
Bronco Wrestler Offline
B
I think with any experimental aircraft there are always a few bugs to work out, this one I don't think is any different.

Alex R. Ryan
KSHSAA Official #15616
USAWKS Official #707
Re: The Chenoweth & Newman Jet #86085 12/05/05 12:57 AM
B
Bronco Wrestler Offline
B
I am saddend by not being able to witness the 5A win. I am not sure how many other 5A wrestlers won but I'm sure there were a few. Compared to the amount of 4321A wreslers I would say their overall record would surpass that of the 56A contingent at the FHSU open. Perhaps you would like to find that record for me Richard?

Alex R. Ryan
KSHSAA Official #15616
USAWKS Official #707
Re: The Chenoweth & Newman Jet #86086 12/05/05 04:45 AM
C
Curtis Chenoweth Offline
C
You really are trying to make me look bad aren't you Richard. I really don't recall me mentioning tying the record unless it was previously mentioned. If I have, please show me, and I shall be humbled. As for my losses, I feel that I didn't perform to my fullest potential the entire tournament, and Malloy wrestled well and beat me, and for that I say good job Blake Malloy. He's a good wrestler. I look forward to any chances I have to wrestle him again as it was a good match.

Now for anyone that does not know me that is reading Richards post, I really am not as cocky as he makes it sound. I really don't have a whole lot to be cocky for. As he's pointed out many times, I choked 3 times at state, and that to me is not worthy of any kind of cockiness.

Curtis Chenoweth
Re: The Chenoweth & Newman Jet #86087 12/05/05 04:47 AM
C
Curtis Chenoweth Offline
C
And also Richard, I have not always been a jet, the transformation from an Indian to a jet is still a work in progress. I still have some bugs to work out. I guess there's some kind of difference between the high school level and college level of wrestling. Who knew?

Curtis Chenoweth
Re: The Chenoweth & Newman Jet #86088 12/05/05 04:56 AM
B
Bronco Wrestler Offline
B
Quote:
Originally posted by Curtis Chenoweth:
You really are trying to make me look bad aren't you Richard. I really don't recall me mentioning tying the record unless it was previously mentioned. If I have, please show me, and I shall be humbled. As for my losses, I feel that I didn't perform to my fullest potential the entire tournament, and Malloy wrestled well and beat me, and for that I say good job Blake Malloy. He's a good wrestler. I look forward to any chances I have to wrestle him again as it was a good match.

Now for anyone that does not know me that is reading Richards post, I really am not as cocky as he makes it sound. I really don't have a whole lot to be cocky for. As he's pointed out many times, I choked 3 times at state, and that to me is not worthy of any kind of cockiness.
Richard I do believe what Curtis said about you pointing out his choking at State, that in itself is a class act coming from a man who is believes he's a great wrestling supporter.

Also the comment you made about me bashing 5A wrestling before was backed by facts. Check my thread about the weakest class, it's full of facts to back my arguement. I have always taken Blake Malloy in my picks of matches. If I'm not mistaken, which I'm not, I did choose a 5A wrestler over a 4A wrestler in the Senior Classic, which would have been Blake Malloy over Justin Wiscombe. If I start an arguement there's usually a decent cause behind it, again I refer you to the weakest class thread, it should speak for itself, the facts DO!

Richard would you yourself know what the transition between High School and College wrestling is? I myself am just beginning to understand it and how hard it is. It's not High School where you run across a fish once in a while but instead everyone you meet deserves to be there, State Qualifier for sure, and usually a placer many times a State Champion.

On a personal note on talking to Curtis many times, he has told me that he feels that he is not 100% yet, he said something about like 80 or 85% and hopes to be 100% again after christmas.

Alex

Alex R. Ryan
KSHSAA Official #15616
USAWKS Official #707
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RichardDSalyer 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 276 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,964
Posts250,402
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)