Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Labette Roster #87564 11/07/05 02:16 AM
mikeholliday Offline OP
OP Offline
I was looking at this year's Labette roster and noticed they have an extremely large team. The 125 lb. weight class alone has 13 individuals. 13!!!! How is this even possible? Are most of these guys on scholarship? It's nice to have depth, but good lord

Mike Holliday
Re: Labette Roster #87565 11/07/05 02:30 AM
K
kansas kid Offline
K
Well last year at 141 or 149 they were on the 3rd string, which happened to be an All-American. Maybe that is why they won a national title.

Aaron Meister

Always T.C.O.B.
Re: Labette Roster #87566 11/07/05 04:06 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
Mike,

KJCCC schools are allocated pretty much unlimited funds in terms of books and tuition for athletes or even those on other type of activity scholarships. The reason for this is a bill passed by a former Governor in the state allocating funds to be earmarked for this. Books and Tuition are unlimited to instate students. Only a certain amount of out of staters can benefit from this. Why do you think Kansas Jucos are the tops in almost every sport?

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: Labette Roster #87567 11/07/05 11:20 AM
J
Jon Doe Offline
J
Quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Sweazy:
Mike,

KJCCC schools are allocated pretty much unlimited funds in terms of books and tuition for athletes or even those on other type of activity scholarships. The reason for this is a bill passed by a former Governor in the state allocating funds to be earmarked for this. Books and Tuition are unlimited to instate students. Only a certain amount of out of staters can benefit from this. Why do you think Kansas Jucos are the tops in almost every sport?
_____

Are you sure about that Sweazy?

Unless it changed this year, Jayhawk Conference wrestling teams are limited to 16 scholarships - with a scholarship being defined as anything from a $1 to full tuition, books and fees. A violation in this area was purportedly in part what kept Terry Pack and his defending NJCAA national team champions from defending the title the following year - as they were banned from the post season that year.

One thing that has changed lately - perhaps as a part of the Governor's action you are referencing (although I am not sure) is that some jucos now offer free tuititon, books and fees to individuals who graduate from high schools within their defined trade area - city, county, etc (implemented in part because people within that trade area support the juco through the mill levy on their real and personal property taxes). Because these are not athletic scholarships they do not count toward aforementioned 16.

Your comment about Kansas jucos being the top or near the top in the nation in many sports is true. But Kansas is actually at a disadvantage, as the Jayhawk conference is (or, again, at least used to be) one of the few, if not the only, juco conference in the country that forbids the awarding of athletic scholarships for room and board.

They can use non-athletic money such as private contributions routed throught the appropriate foundation or endowment assciation, endowed memorial scholarships, etc to supplement the athletic money. But no athletic money for the room & board in the Jayhawk Conference.

Re: Labette Roster #87568 11/07/05 03:04 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Quote:
KJCCC schools are allocated pretty much unlimited funds in terms of books and tuition for athletes or even those on other type of activity scholarships.
Once again I must disagree with the all knowing Sweazy. The grant-in-aid is limited to the actual cost of tuition and books, and the number of athletes receiving grants-in-aid are limited by sport.

"ARTICLE VI
GRANTS-IN-AID, RECRUITMENT AND BOOSTER CLUBS
Section 1. Grants-in-aid - Same as NJCAA with the following exceptions:
a. The total amount of an institutional athletic grant-in-aid for a certified athlete shall not exceed the cost of tuition and books at the conference school attended. If an athlete is awarded a scholarship by a source not affiliated with a particular college, and if that source awards such scholarships without restriction to college of attendance, and if the student competes for the scholarship in the same manner as any other student, he/she may accept such additional scholarship(s). In addition, an athlete who qualifies and maintains a cumulative 3.5 G.P.A. may receive an academic scholarship administered by and through the institution in attendance; such scholarship shall not exceed $500 per semester. (3-7-94)

b. Any facilities provided by or donated to the college or owned by an organization for the purpose of providing rooms and/or meals must be open to all students at the same prevailing charges. (3-7-94)

c. A college may pay for athletic injuries and related complications. (3-7-94)

d. Pre-game and post-game meals may be provided at home and away games. (3-7-94)

e. The KJCCC does not allow room and board to be included in conference grant-in-aid. However for Division I programs only, when the student/athlete is required to be on campus due to institutional, conference, and/or competition, when school is not in regular session, the institution shall have the option to provide room and board. Those dates for the opening of practice and post-season play up to and through such time as they have qualified for post-season play. This covers fifteen (15) days per grant-in-aid during the school year. (3-7-94)

f. Trips for recruits ten (10) days prior to the start of a semester are not allowed.

g. Purchasing of food, drinks or any other items for Kansas recruits by coaches is prohibited during all off-campus contacts excluding travel to and from during official visit. (8-6-93)

h. No personal contact may be made with a prospective student athlete who resides in the State of Kansas, for 48 hours prior to the NJCAA designated letter-of-intent/scholarship agreement signing date. The first contact after the dead period would be 8:00 a.m. on the designated letter-of-intent / scholarship agreement signing date. Contact by phone is permissible.

Dead Period for Football Recruiting. The time begins the Sunday prior to the national signing date at midnight and ends at midnight on the Thursday following the national signing day. (3-9-98)

i. Only those student athletes that are competing in their second year, in any sport, in the Jayhawk Conference may be assigned to a residence job."

These bylaws further provide "No athletic grant-in-aid may be awarded to a student/athlete while he/she is enrolled in college establishing his/her academic eligibility."

Kansas Jayhawk Community College By-laws

Kansas Jayhawk Community Colleges do follow the scholarship guidelines established by the NJCAA.

These programs are limited to:

Total Number of Scholarships
Mens Basketball: Scholarships - 16
Football: Scholarships - 85
Wrestling: Scholarships - 16

Scholarships for non U.S. Citizen Athletes
Mens Basketball: - 4
Football: - 21
Wrestling: - 4

NJCAA SPORT PROCEDURES 2005-2006 PDF

The Kansas Jayhawk Community College Conference further limits football: "In football, a squad roster on forms provided by the commissioner must be postmarked prior to the first scheduled contest played by any KJCCC college. This roster is limited to a maximum playing squad of fifty-five (55) players, of which, not more than twelve (12) may be from out-of-state. NJCAA eligibility forms must be mailed to the commissioner, regional directors and the NJCAA headquarters no later than twenty-one (21) days after the beginning of that school semester or one (1) day prior to the first football contest played by any conference member.

Quote:
The reason for this is a bill passed by a former Governor in the state allocating funds to be earmarked for this.
This is false!

The Governor of the State of Kansas has NEVER passed a bill. Passing of bills is a legislative function and the Governor has three (3) options for a bill passed by the Kansas Legislature.
1. Sign the bill
2. Veto the bill
3. Do neither in which the case the bill becomes law due to the Governor's inaction.

Quote:
Books and Tuition are unlimited to instate students.
Again, this is false, see above explanation!

Quote:
Only a certain amount of out of staters can benefit from this.
This is true, see above explanation!

Quote:
Why do you think Kansas Jucos are the tops in almost every sport?
Do to excellent coaching from the likes of the Coach Lampe, Coach Renfro, former Coach Thompson, etc.!

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Labette Roster #87569 11/07/05 05:38 PM
B
Bronco Wrestler Offline
B
I heard that Josh Baldridge at 133 was injured during the takedown tournament? If this is true how long is he out?

Alex R. Ryan
KSHSAA Official #15616
USAWKS Official #707
Re: Labette Roster #87570 11/08/05 04:45 AM
C
Curtis Chenoweth Offline
C
Why's everyone gotta pick on the Swayz?

Curtis Chenoweth
Re: Labette Roster #87571 11/08/05 12:08 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Quote:
Originally posted by Curtis Chenoweth:
Do you really want an answer to this question?

Facts are facts, and making statements which are blatantly false should not go uncorrected.

Your friend attempts to come across as knowledgable of certain matters and has no qualms making statements which are not supported by the facts. If this were an isolated incident I am sure it would be ignored, however this pattern of behavior seems to keep repeating itself.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Labette Roster #87572 11/08/05 12:43 PM
M
Mike Church Sr. Offline
M
Ya, Kick some rearends!! Go Labette!!

Re: Labette Roster #87573 11/08/05 02:15 PM
Mike Furches Offline
I can support correction of any false or misleading post, whether intentional (which I believe seldom if ever happens) or accidental, (which likely happens often); I have no problem with that correction, even my posts. We all, and I repeat, all, make mistakes. I haven't been any place to check out the facts on this issue, but believe the rules posted by Salyer are correct. I don't know of possible interpretations otherwise. We all have to choose our battles, and KJCCC Rules, personally isn't one of mine.

That being said, I believe that if personal comments be made, they should be done in private. I would hope an edit or correction is made to the above posts, if and when it is, I would also ask that this particular post, (my post here) be deleted as it will then have no ongoing relevance.

Re: Labette Roster #87574 11/08/05 02:16 PM
Dr. Bailey.... Offline
I hear from a pretty credible source that baldridge tore his meniscus in his finals match. Haven't heard how long yet.

Don't argue with an idiot, people watching may not be able to tell the difference."
Re: Labette Roster #87575 11/08/05 10:58 PM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
You know I'm just going off of what was happening when I was at college outside of the athletic fields their are unlimited amounts to my knowledge. If you can sing you are nearly guaranteed schloraships. Richard, go ahead and say what you want about me and do it on here...I'm curious.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: Labette Roster #87576 11/10/05 03:45 AM
C
Curtis Chenoweth Offline
C
Quote:
Originally posted by RichardDSalyer:
Quote:
Originally posted by Curtis Chenoweth:
Do you really want an answer to this question?

Facts are facts, and making statements which are blatantly false should not go uncorrected.

Your friend attempts to come across as knowledgable of certain matters and has no qualms making statements which are not supported by the facts. If this were an isolated incident I am sure it would be ignored, however this pattern of behavior seems to keep repeating itself.
I can't help but find irony in that statement coming from you.

Curtis Chenoweth
Re: Labette Roster #87577 11/10/05 04:17 AM
B
Bronco Wrestler Offline
B
Why do I find myself not corrected constantly then Richard? I know i'm more at fault than my personal friend the Swayz....

Alex R. Ryan
KSHSAA Official #15616
USAWKS Official #707
Re: Labette Roster #87578 11/12/05 11:26 PM
J
Jon Doe Offline
J
Quote:
Mike,

KJCCC schools are allocated pretty much unlimited funds in terms of books and tuition for athletes........
Quote:

You know I'm just going off of what was happening when I was at college .....
Aaron - the 16 wrestling scholarship limit for wrestlers was in place long before you were in school.

You are correct though that one can piggyback with other non-athletic scholarships to enhance a scholarship package. But the maximum # of wrestlers getting scholarships ($1 and up) from athletic money is limited to 16.

Moderated by  RichardDSalyer 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 291 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,964
Posts250,402
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)