Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Andale Incedent #93839 02/23/03 12:16 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
For everyone that did not attend the Andale tournament, there was an incedent that will stand out in every person's mind that did. There was a coach that abused one of his wrestlers, a girl, after an intence match. As the wrestler walked off of the mat a few words were exchanged and the coach shoved the wrestler a couple of times out of anger. Needless to say the tournament came to a stop and the officials did a great job of getting this under control. The only thing that I did not see was an offical Police escourt out of the building and into the back of a police car. There is no room in this sport, or at any other time, for anyone to treat a kid this way.

What will come of this coach? What actions will be taken? Is there anything that I can do to insure that my wrestlers, or any other wrestlers, are not around this coach in the future?

Thanks to the Andale Club for a good tournament and to the other coaches who love there wrestlers no matter the outcome.

Craig Adams
Carroll Jr. Wrestling

Re: Andale Incedent #93840 02/23/03 12:50 AM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Was the coach related to the wrestler?

Re: Andale Incedent #93841 02/23/03 01:05 AM
L
letswrsl Offline
L
That is unfortunate and happens too often. Often it is the parents that can not seem to grasp the concept that it doesn't matter how good the kid is, if they get beat up everytime they lose whether mental or physical, it is unlikely that it will remain fun for the kid very long. It is amazing to me how serious some of the parents and coaches take the matches at this level. It seems worse and the 10U and younger than even at the upper divisions. Is anyone aware of a college recruiter asking a kid what his record was in elementary school? At these levels, the principal object should be to master technique and have fun. Unfortunately, sometimes that means that the wrestler does something stupid and loses the match. Usually they don't make the same mistake for long. I would much rather try and teach my wrestlers to be aggressive on the mat and passionate about the sport. If they do this, their record will be right when the matches that really matter happen down the road.

Re: Andale Incedent #93842 02/23/03 01:09 AM
L
letswrsl Offline
L
Under Kansas rules if the tournament reports the incident to USAWKS the coach will automatically be suspended for one week. I would argue not a severe enough punishment but better than nothing. In all states, for the sake of the sport, we need to keep a tally on these incidences and look at ways to pull coaches cards/privlidges for habitual abusers. Hopefully, Greg is looking into this and can provide additional insight into what USAWKS can do.

Re: Andale Incedent #93843 02/23/03 07:46 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There is no way that any coach, related or not, should be assaulting a wrestler under any circumstance. Did we learn nothing by the Bobby Knight incident two years ago? This coach should have been arrested, and still can be, particularly if there were witnesses to the event. What type of message is being sent by all of the parents in attendance to their own children if they stand by while something like this happens and the children do not see stronger repercussions?

Re: Andale Incedent #93844 02/23/03 09:33 AM
Mike Furches Offline
It is my understanding that the coach was also the dad and it was more than just a shove. This individual also put his hands on another woman who was mat side questioning the actions of the individual, a pointed finger to the nose. The incident is on video tape and should be dealt with from the perspective of abuse on a child, and assault & battery on another adult. The person should have gone to jail and be investigated for abuse. There is no room for this in this sport. One other note, if there is only a one week suspension in the rules that is a shame. For an incident of this nature, there should be a minimum of a 1-year suspension and depending on the severity possibly longer. Then maybe individuals would think twice before acting in this way.

Re: Andale Incedent #93845 02/23/03 12:17 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
I did not witness the incident. There appear to be strong feelings regarding the incident, and I recommend you contact Barry Disney, an officer of USAW Kansas who also is an attorney with the Sedgwick County District Attorney's office. I am certain Barry will provide proper guidance as to the remedies available to correct this situation.

Also, mail an official complaint to Greg Grater.

If anyone needs information on contacting Barry, or Greg, feel free to contact me, and I will provide.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Andale Incedent #93846 02/23/03 01:26 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Additional comments: I have sent an e-mail to both Barry Disney and Mike Juby asking them to read this thread.

My understanding of the USAW Kansas Kids Rules is that no action will be taken until a complaint is filed. Also, the same applies to any possible legal remedies. The appropriate authorities must be notified in order for any remedy to be reached.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Andale Incedent #93847 02/23/03 02:26 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I was working the table where this happened, and have never in my 5 years being involved with this sport seen anything this bad happen before. I have seen alot of bad behavior on the parts of parents, coaches and kids. (I have also seen and met alot of really great people!!!!)I saw most of what happened (until everyone jumped in) I am sure they have lots of witnesses but if you need another, contact me at Kimple5@aol.com
Tatia Kimple

Moderated by  Kathy Juby 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 284 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,964
Posts250,402
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)