Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Something Special Happened #5829 02/20/05 06:36 PM
M
Mike Flood Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Something very special happened this weekend at the Topeka Tornado Tournament! Two great wrestlers battled and one won and one lost. Then later on during the finals, the wrestler that lost and his father were in the corner of the wrestler that won and rooted for him.

This is proof that good sportmanship and good character still exist in sports today! Maybe the pros should take example from some of our kids & their parents.

I would like to compliment Garrett and Scott Fausett for the class they showed at Topeka.
My son and I still can't get over what you did.
It was certainly something special to us!

Scott & Garrett: Good luck and thanks for the support! You can bet we will be in your corner next time!

Mike Flood
Re: Something Special Happened #5830 02/20/05 11:19 PM
T
tsbhawk Offline
T
Mike, this happened at your tournament as well. I would also like to compliment and thank the family of T. Colburn from Allen Co. After losing to my son they stayed after their last match to cheer him on during his last match.

It sets a good example for the kids, as well as, the parents.

Re: Something Special Happened #5831 02/21/05 01:16 AM
L
LegRider Offline
L
Although these kids battle week in and week out, many friendships form. And some rivalries too.

Re: Something Special Happened #5832 02/21/05 03:29 AM
Scott Fausset Offline
just back from Topeka...looong weekend...stayed over for the clinic...Wow, it was a great to see your post after a great competition!

Mike, it was our pleasure. Rhett is no doubt a great wrestler and competitor, but more importantantly he (together with father, and brother) has the character that warranted our best support. And yes admittedly (above post), we had to cheer for the home team.

Rhett EARNED that win, he did all the work. His opponent initiated no part of the bout. I say this not to jar on Rhett's opponent, rather, I just want to acknowledge Rhett's tremendous effort. He made the entire match move forward.

Mike, I also need to thank you for renewing my faith in wrestling parents as well as. Garret got to see a valuable lesson...

"As two competitors step off the mat, surviving the others best, how you view the other says more about YOU than anything else in the competition."

We got to see the best bracket anyone could hope for...some incredible athletes, awesome speed and power, good technicians, real tenacity, but mostly some great heart.

And no doubt we saw state placers in KS and MO at 12U/130. Names that more people will hear more often, regardless of the age/wgt...

1st Rhett Flood (Indy)
2nd Derek Sanders (MO)
3rd Garret Fausset (Olathe)
4th Jeremie Maus (Tongie)
Brett Dunlop (Doniphan Co)
Gage Knudson (Junction City)

Too bad CJ Stallbaumer (Paola) was not there.

All those kids should feel really lucky and proud, looking forward to the next couple of years. They proved that HS will see another great crop hitting their doors very soon.

PS: We stayed over for the clinic in Shawnee Hghts with Royce Algers...a lot of people missed a great clinic!

You can’t stop the waves, but you can learn to surf. -- Joseph Goldstein

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 251 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,969
Posts250,407
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)