Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Highschool Wrestling Research #99063 01/24/07 03:19 PM
Y
Yo This Is TO Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
Hey I am once again doing a research paper on wrestling. I am wondering if I could get some of the people who have been around wrestling for a long time to answer these questions for me.

1. What are your feelings on the way the rules have changed wrestling?

2. How do you feel about the way wrestling has gone in the past 10 years?

3. Do you believe that wrestling is possibly the biggest impact in a highschooler’s life?

4. In regards to hydration testing do you believe it is a good or bad thing? And why?

please either reply here or send them to me in a pm thxs in advance

Re: Highschool Wrestling Research [Re: Yo This Is TO] #99159 01/25/07 05:50 AM
S
sammy275 Offline
S
Try contacting Coach Bob Kuhn in Hays. He has just retired after being a head coach in the state of Kansas for over 30 years so he has definetly seen a ton of changes. You can probably call information for a phone number or call the high school.

Re: Highschool Wrestling Research [Re: sammy275] #99221 01/25/07 07:26 PM
B
bdills Offline
B
I think the biggest effect I have seen since wrestling in the '80s is the protection of the wrestlers. I have seen a huge decrease in the number of wrestlers who get carried out of tournaments, especially in kids. Part of this may also be the quality of instruction that the kids get. They are training more seriously these days and are prepared and in better shape. The emphisis on sportsmanship is refreshing as well. We have done a better job of trying to make wrestling a positive experience for the kids. I was a ref in college (early '90s) before leaving the state for 8 years. I believe I see a definate difference these days when I ref. Also, if you look at the good high school teams they almost always have a solid kids team feeding them athletes that are already seasoned mat veterans.

As far as the highschool experience, I think wrestling can have a huge impact on the character of a student. No other sport has the same intensity and requires the same drive and desire that wrestling does. It is especially important to those who may not fit in well socially. They have the opportunity to have success on an individual level.

I think it is important to watch the health effects of losing weight to severely. I don't know if hydration testing is the answer, but I remember a number of students when I was younger that (in my opinion) were causing lasting physical problems due to extreme weight loss. The health and well being of our kids should always be a primary concern.

Hope this helps. Good luck on the paper.

Re: Highschool Wrestling Research [Re: bdills] #99270 01/26/07 03:17 AM
T
theoldone Offline
T
wrestling, is not about being individuals. It's still all about a team. When your the only one that make's it to state from your team, than you feel bad and lost that you could have worked harder to get more there

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 272 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,964
Posts250,402
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)