Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: mat side [Re: John Johnson] #120946 02/24/08 03:18 AM
L
loki Offline
L
fine i will grant you anything that you are saying john....are you now going to defend their coach putting his hands on me 3 times!!!

Re: mat side [Re: loki] #120949 02/24/08 03:39 AM
B
Bones1768 Offline
B
I guess I'm new to this. But I thought the major point of making weight was having fairness. Is this a common occurance that the host team does not have to make their own team make weight. When our team hosted a tournament, we all HAD to make weight. To my kid it doesn't matter if it is a qualifier or not, it matters to him.

And for the coach from ellsworth who shoved loki. He should be suspended.

Re: mat side [Re: John Johnson] #120950 02/24/08 03:45 AM
nix Offline OP
OP Offline
 Originally Posted By: John Johnson
My wife works with autistic kids and she says there are all type of kids like this. All are different. Mainstreaming at an early age may make a huge difference. Remember I understand a mother's desire to protect her son. But, you made a 6 year old run. Yea, I had my 12 year old run last night for Liberty, but 12 and 6. Come on. And, my wife says try working with as a para for a few weeks with autistic kids. Really, its all about the game of life, and if my kid loses in a tournament that isn't a qualifier, to a kids much worse off than mine, SO WHAT. I am sorry if I offended anyone, but this really gets to me. I think sports are important not so much for the winning (yea my kid enjoys it) but for the other benefits. And, you made the post, before you did, did you think about if the kid's dad read your post. AND, remember, IT WAS THEIR TOURNAMENT. And, my kid has lost where tournaments have let their kids off on weighing in. Many do it, few will admit it. SO WHAT, they are not qualifiers. Sorry again.

i feel for the autistic kid and his parents and admire them for trying new things great to hear. but what you saying if its not a state qualifier throw out all rules lets go back to gladiator days then. we have rules at these tournament anyway i thought we did

"Saints should always be judged guilty until they are proved innocent"

jeff nix
620-214-0433
Re: mat side [Re: John Johnson] #120952 02/24/08 03:51 AM
L
loki Offline
L
i'm feeling like John Johnson is vilifying me because we played by the rules!.
I signed my kid up a week in advance for the tourney and the guys weighing him in that morning would not let him wrestle because he was 1/2 lb over.. he went to the bathroom, then ran a bit and made weight... why did we go through all of this if they just put their kids anywhere they wanted... And as i said before the guy that put his hands on me did come up and say sorry after he admitted that they didn't follow the rules that everyone else was expected to follow....but that doesn't change the facts. Also John johnson is saying that many other town and coaches do the same thing. I am offended by that! I believe that many, many towns follow the rules... a few bad example should not be dismissed as "well everyone else does it" what does that say about us as a state organization.

Re: mat side [Re: loki] #120969 02/24/08 01:50 PM
Pelland Offline
 Originally Posted By: loki
what does that say about us as a state organization.

It says nothing about us as a whole.

Re: mat side [Re: Pelland] #120973 02/24/08 02:39 PM
nix Offline OP
OP Offline
 Originally Posted By: Pelland

Wrong if nothing is done about this situation, then it says a whole lot about them as a whole.

jeff nix
620-214-0433
Re: mat side [Re: nix] #120976 02/24/08 02:48 PM
Pelland Offline
 Originally Posted By: nix
 Originally Posted By: Pelland

Wrong if nothing is done about this situation, then it says a whole lot about them as a whole.

The organization hasn't had a chance to do anything yet. What could they do though?

Re: mat side [Re: nix] #120989 02/24/08 04:06 PM
P
Packerholic4 Offline
P
My son at 6u 40lbs. had an Ellsworth wrestler that stood a full head taller. My son barely came to his shoulders. He was rather skinny though. Kids come in all different sizes and shapes. In my own mind I've questioned some kids my older sons have wrestled. But, you see the kids later on at the same weight or up one weight. We attended a tournament last week. This wrestler looked more like an 8U 61lber not an 8U 55lber.

Re: mat side [Re: John Johnson] #121092 02/25/08 12:27 AM
B
bockman Offline
B
I still like the way Ark City ran their tournament. If the parents didnt get their butts in the stands they stopped it until they got into the stands. I sure hope that Ottawa takes care of that situtation this year. The kids need the mats on the sides and sidelines to get warm. Those mats are not for those lazy parents and coaches to sit their big butts on and take up space.

Scott Bockover
Re: mat side [Re: John Johnson] #121288 02/25/08 09:04 PM
M
mmeditz Offline
M
We weighed ours in for our tournament, never heard it was an option.
My 23 yr old cousin is autistic and he competed many yrs and still does some in Special Olympics. I don't see the special needs as the young mans challange, I would only be concerned for the 10#s of difference as a safety issue with an inexperienced pair.

koltons_dad
Re: mat side [Re: John Johnson] #121324 02/25/08 10:51 PM
M
MOMX2WRESTLERS Offline
M
I guess, and I apologize for stepping on toes here, but my son also wrestles 6 and under 49 or 52. I was really bothered that a 6 and under 37 lb kid was put in at 37lbs and then had to run every night for a week to make weight(then being a 1/2 lb over). If my son gets close we bump him up, he has fluctuated all year between 49 and 52. I am sure that this isn't the point of this post, but I thought it should at least be mentioned.(I guess it was mentioned early in post).

Last edited by MOMX2WRESTLERS; 02/25/08 10:54 PM.
Re: mat side [Re: MOMX2WRESTLERS] #121333 02/26/08 12:09 AM
USAWMom Offline
To quote Loki, "My kid had to run this morning because he was 1/2 pounds over and we made him run each night all week to make weight.. "

To quote Nix, "But, you made a 6 year old run."

Thanks MomX2, I had the same reaction when I originally read the post, but you actually mentioned it.

It sounds like quite the challenge for that particular wrestler, one that I doubt a six-year-old (or younger?) is capable of comprehending. At least from the description, they went about things the proper way - without extreme measures. I have no doubt that they never put their wrestler's health in jeopardy, but it doesn't sound like the most sound decision ever made in their wrestler's interest.

Why not allow him to wrestle at a more natural weight - 40lbs? You have to allow for fluctuations in any wrestler's weight due to growth and muscle mass, but especially at such a young age.

USAWMom
Re: mat side [Re: loki] #121334 02/26/08 12:11 AM
J
JDK Offline
J
Hey I just want to tell you as a father be careful about getting upset at mat side I also have been guilty of this but I will tell you they are not doing their kids any favors by cheating the weight classes I have seen this for years. Also your child see's this then when they do lose they think someone is always cheating them. I am guilty of this and now my son is always questioning the ref. So my advice is chalk it up to experience and dont go back to there tournaments any more that is what we do we have several tournaments on our list we dont go to just for this reason. I have seen tournaments that cheat the weight or put their kids in a bye all the way out to the finals. Sad but that is the world we live I just say dont support them anymore.

Re: mat side [Re: JDK] #121347 02/26/08 12:43 AM
nix Offline OP
OP Offline
guess i missed where nix quoted making a six year old run but still looking could you point it out thanks...

Last edited by nix; 02/26/08 12:48 AM.

jeff nix
620-214-0433
Re: mat side [Re: nix] #121355 02/26/08 01:32 AM
L
loki Offline
L
Ok sincne i started this let me clarify..
First of all some people have removed their posts so all of you commenting now do not have the whole story!!!
When I said It was my 37 lb kid I was speaking as "he is a kid on my team" I am his coach. Second the kid that had to run was my own son and not a 37 lb kid.... Two different kids My son ran all week not to lose wait but to maintain weight and to stay in shape. He works out like all of my advanced kids.... So for all of you who came into this late... the point was they didn't weigh any of their kids on saturday morning... Like all of the rest of us did... and The coach put his hands on me 3 times...

Re: mat side [Re: loki] #121357 02/26/08 01:42 AM
L
loki Offline
L
last comment i have on this topic is that
i was mostly concerned about my kid the 37lb'er. I was concerned about the other kid wrestling 4 weight classes lighter than he weighed. In High school that would be a 200 lb kid wrestling a 150 lb kid. I am not new to this either... I have been a part of wrestling since the early 70's and have wrestled all my life. I have coached in the Marine Corps, High School and Jr High.. I gave it all up to spend time with my son... Anyone that knows me knows That we are not out their to win but for good compitition. I have said many times I would rather lose a match then get a kid hurt.. That is why we challenged them in the beginning.. They didn't weigh any of their kids and when I challenged them they said its our tournament we can do it this way... That is like saying since its my tourney all my kids get a 5 point head start... Fair is fair.. That is why I love wrestling, it is supposed to be equal.. the only variable is supposed to be the ability of the kids....

Re: mat side [Re: loki] #121358 02/26/08 01:43 AM
B
Bones1768 Offline
B
I think we have missed what this post and another one that I started were all about. How a team cheated alot of other teams. How a team's representative(Coach) shoved another person at this tournament. Isn't this the problem? It wasn't the other teams that came to this tournament, that wanted to have a FAIR wrestling tournament and instead MIGHT have been cheated if they had to compete against a wrestler from Ellsworth.

What is going to happen to them(team) and their representatives?

Re: mat side [Re: loki] #121383 02/26/08 02:40 AM
USAWMom Offline
... I lost my temper and was wrong for this but i still disagree with what they did... My kid had to run this morning because he was 1/2 pounds over and we made him run each night all week to make weight.. This upsets me because he also was on weight thursday... but didn't have the opportunity to use that weight like ellsworth did...

Thanks for clarifying that this was not "your kid" but one of your wrestlers, but as you can see easily taken out of context. I actually have been following this post, so I absolutley understand the basis of the orig text and agree whole-heartedly that the rules should apply across the board.

I was not attempting to attack anyone, I simply responded and agreed with MomX2wrestler's comments.

USAWMom
Re: mat side [Re: John Johnson] #121385 02/26/08 02:44 AM
USAWMom Offline
 Originally Posted By: John Johnson
Remember I understand a mother's desire to protect her son. But, you made a 6 year old run. Yea, I had my 12 year old run last night for Liberty, but 12 and 6. Come on.

I apologize, the post from nix was originally a quote from John Johnson.

USAWMom
Re: mat side [Re: USAWMom] #121725 02/27/08 09:47 PM
M
MOMX2WRESTLERS Offline
M
I apologize for implying that you yourself made a 37lb 6 and under run, but that is the way I understood the post to read. My comment was meant to be a general observation of our sport and my hopes that no parent would make a child at 6 and under 37lb run to make weight.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 213 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,956
Posts250,393
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)