Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
What is "unsportsman like conduct"? #121206 02/25/08 03:08 PM
jumpin jack flash Offline OP
OP Offline
Can someone please explain to me the definition of unsportsman like conduct? After witnessing the tantrum thrown after the 321a 215 lb match, both physcial and vocal, and nothing was called, makes me wonder where the line is drawn as I have seen it called on behavior that was SO MUCH LESS than the behavior that was displayed after that match.

Re: What is "unsportsman like conduct"? [Re: jumpin jack flash] #121237 02/25/08 05:38 PM
N
NWK Lifer Offline
N
I was also there and thought something should have been done. The crowd certainly showed their feelings by booing the wresler in question; both after the match and when he was introduced as the 2nd place winner. Hate to see things like that happen, but a lesson was to be taught and they did nothing.

Re: What is "unsportsman like conduct"? [Re: jumpin jack flash] #121286 02/25/08 08:50 PM
Z
Z'sDAD Offline
Z
Once again it is easy to point fingers and try to start controversy over an emotional reaction of a high school student. Anyone that has watched this kid wrestle for the last 4 years knows that he is an emotional kid and in his mind he was ripped out of his state championship. When you beat a kid in the semifinals that everyone has said is unbeatable and then feel it slip away in the final seconds, what would you do. Maybe not the same thing, but you will never know until it happens to you.

I am from P-burg and I have witnessed how he has pulled two towns that used to be rivals into a group of young men that truly like being around each other and having fun. So don't try to smear what was an emotional over the top reaction into something it isn't. I know I would not have wanted to see a point taken away from Smith Center in that instance just so P-burg could share a part of the state championship. All the posts on here seem to be saying the refs decide to much at the state finals and should leave it up to the wrestlers and in this case that is what happend. A good no call.

Re: What is "unsportsman like conduct"? [Re: Z'sDAD] #121317 02/25/08 10:32 PM
J
jayhawk pride Offline
J
i was not there, but i have seen the young man in question wrestle many times before, and i know how he reacts. any outburst is unacceptable. i lost several matches in my career that i thought were taken from me, but i got up, shook everyone's hand, and walked off the mat like a man. men take things in stride, and know how to control themselves, little kids throw fits when things don't go their way.
this is not a direct shot at the young man in question, but more an overall statement to the many kids who act like this at tournaments everywhere.

Re: What is "unsportsman like conduct"? [Re: Z'sDAD] #121348 02/26/08 12:54 AM
N
NWK Lifer Offline
N
He had his opponent around the neck when he slammed him down to the mat. Would you feel differently had he injured the other wrestler? I would hope so. The whistle had blown and the other wrestler had stopped when this occured. There are no excuse for that, I don't care who you are. I was raised to know there are consequences for our actions.

Re: What is "unsportsman like conduct"? [Re: Z'sDAD] #121353 02/26/08 01:23 AM
B
Broeckelman 2 Offline
B
Whether the kid has high emotions or not, acting the way he did was not acceptable. Palmer is a good kid, but acting that way is chidish. The way I look at it, the ref gave him more warnings then needed. He warned him from riding the side by side twice (called a stale mate twice after giving one point for doing the same move) before giving another point. I think the ref tried to let the kids decide the match, but he still went to the same side by side and did not try and do anything with it. He was lucky that he was not dinged for unsportsmanlike, or even ejected for that tantrum. I agree with jayhawk fan on those actions are what little kids do, which being a Senior, you should know how to carry yourself after a loss. Specially when a team state title is at stake, and your are on television representing your town/team.

Re: What is "unsportsman like conduct"? [Re: Broeckelman 2] #121390 02/26/08 03:20 AM
S
styrofoam Offline
S
wow, i wasnt there to witness that. he threw his opponent down by his neck? could someone give me a play-by-play?

Re: What is "unsportsman like conduct"? [Re: styrofoam] #121401 02/26/08 04:19 AM
RedStorm Offline
Did it look anything like this?

Best Example of an Illegal Slam Ever

Bill DeWitt
Wrestling Fan
Re: What is "unsportsman like conduct"? [Re: RedStorm] #121447 02/26/08 02:44 PM
windjammer Offline
The wrestler in question was ahead by one late in the third. His second stalling call tied it the third stalling put him behind by one with about 15 seconds remaining. They restarted from the referee's position and he couldn't turn the other kid. When the whistle blew, the other kid quit wrestling. Promptly, he went to his back in what was close to, but not quite, a bulldog. It was unfortunate, and I'm sure he's a great kid, but the behavior probably should have been penalized. I'm glad it wasn't also, but it probably should have been.

Re: What is "unsportsman like conduct"? [Re: windjammer] #121450 02/26/08 03:02 PM
F
fatoldman Offline
F
I watched the match and the wrestler in question. His behavior was not the best. I understand being disappointed in the loss, but what is more important is how you deal with that disappointment. You will have it in all aspect of life be it work or personal. One of the hardest things to learn is life isn't fair. It never has been, nor will it ever be fair. Someone will always have more, be stonger, be smarter, or live longer than you. Because if life was fair, I would be driving a Lamborghini instead of a 95 Pontiac with 235,000 miles.

Re: What is "unsportsman like conduct"? [Re: fatoldman] #121480 02/26/08 04:22 PM
S
styrofoam Offline
S
RedStorm, I hope the slam didnt look like that. Thats a pretty nasty slam. Was that clip something you just came across or did you experience that?

Re: What is "unsportsman like conduct"? [Re: styrofoam] #121491 02/26/08 05:06 PM
RedStorm Offline
I have been dropped on my head numerous times.

Bill DeWitt
Wrestling Fan
Re: What is "unsportsman like conduct"? [Re: RedStorm] #121503 02/26/08 06:03 PM
Mama Spangler Offline
I saw this match, My father-in-law, who is one of the most laid back men I know, booed the kid. I thought it was sad and bad -- I remember a few years ago when a kid threw his head gear and got a team point taken away -- this was much worse. The wrestler got thrown clearly after the match was over and out of frustration.

I guess this is my thought -- head gear thrown -point taken away
--wrestler thrown in a dangerous way -- nothing done.

Bad decision...

You have to learn to win and learn to lose and you have to learn it is alot MORE FUN TO WIN!
Re: What is "unsportsman like conduct"? [Re: Z'sDAD] #121560 02/26/08 11:46 PM
J
JLB Offline
J
Z's Dad. I have seen your son lose a state finals match with dignity as you have maybe seen mine lose a state finals match with dignity. You hold your composure and get off of the mat. This isn't about a team state title, but about a match where something should of been called and wasn't. I saw during the tourney where a kid in the qrtr's cost his team a point because he didn't want to shake hands. This was alot worsethan not wanting to shake hands. Our own coach cost us a team point for a comment he made that wasn't anything like what coach Hutch was saying after the match. From what I saw and heard there should of been two calls made one on Palmer and one on his coach. Neither were done. I saw it live and on replay. Also I don't think the crowd should of booed Palmer. That was sad. He is an emotional (for the lack of a better word)athelete. I think if he would of been hit with unsportsmanlike after the match then the crowd might of been more forgiving and maybe not. Also I am not trying to point finger's.

Jim Broeckelman
Proud to be a Bluejay!
Re: What is "unsportsman like conduct"? [Re: RedStorm] #121561 02/26/08 11:49 PM
J
JLB Offline
J
It wasn't a slam. More of an illigal hold and frustration after the whistle.
But Palmer's reaction was alot worse than the kid in the video.

Jim Broeckelman
Proud to be a Bluejay!
Re: What is "unsportsman like conduct"? [Re: JLB] #121690 02/27/08 07:17 PM
C
Coach Hutch Offline
C
JLB Proud to be a Bluejay!
I noticed on here where you say that I as a coach should have been penalized for my discussion with a very respected official in our area. My question to you is were you working the table or down on the floor to hear what I was saying? If not, then how do you know what I said to Mr. Scheele? I can assure you that it was nothing personal nor threatening in any way. Also, did you not see me calm Kirk down after the match was over. I did receive an unsportsman like conduct for questioning the stall 3 stall calls, but nothing further than that. Things could have been way worse then they were. As a coach, this is the first time I have ever replied to a forum, but this one kind of bothered me because I try to run a program people can be proud of and when others get on here a make things personal it doesn't settle very well with me.

Thanks,
Coach Brock Hutchinson
Head Wrestling Coach
Smith Center Redmen

Re: What is "unsportsman like conduct"? [Re: Coach Hutch] #121692 02/27/08 07:20 PM
On_the_Mat Offline
Coach,
You should deservedly so be very proud. Don't let anything detract from the results your team accomplished. Congrats to you and your team !!

Re: What is "unsportsman like conduct"? [Re: JLB] #121693 02/27/08 07:20 PM
Z
Z'sDAD Offline
Z
Jim, I was just trying to give the kid a little support. I knew everyone would be quick to judge, I just wanted to see if people could look at it from a different perspective. Some people control there emotions better than others, some wear them on their sleeves. I don't believe that there was any malicious intent, just an emotional reaction. Was it unsportsman like? YES Did it deserve a penalty? POSSIBLY Was the match called correctly? I believe so. My point was, I wanted to win the State Title outright and not back into it with a point being deducted from Smith Center. As for the remarks made by wrestler and coach, I was not close enough to hear them and I have not seen a replay of the match, just the one time in person. Jim, you are right Z would not act like that and I'm glad you noticed. Coach Hutch for what it's worth I think you have done good things in Smith Center with the wrestling program and I for one am proud that the largest percentage of good wrestlers in the state of Kansas reside within a 60 mile stretch on HWY 36. Coach Hutch congratulations on a great season.

Last edited by Z'sDAD; 02/27/08 07:54 PM.
Re: What is "unsportsman like conduct"? [Re: On_the_Mat] #121694 02/27/08 07:22 PM
On_the_Mat Offline
Article from Hays Daily News Re: Smith Center

http://www.hdnews.net/Story/Trifecta022508

Re: What is "unsportsman like conduct"? [Re: Coach Hutch] #121764 02/28/08 01:59 AM
J
JLB Offline
J
That's the bad thing about a forum, you can't hear the other person's voice. Only try and interrupt what he was meaning or trying to say. I meant no disrespect to you or your program, just voicing my opionion of what I saw, heard and thought should of happened. I thought you received the unsportsman like penalty, but couldn't find anywhere what the consequences for it were. I will agree with you on the 3 stalling calls to an extent. It should of been called sooner. I didn't see much difference between the 1st 2 calls and then the 2 stale mates, then the 3rd stall. If the official would of hit Palmer sooner then he would of had more time to try something different. I feel that the official gave the 2 stale mates in hopes that the wrestles would settle the match. Maybe this is what your discussion with the official was about when you got your ding. I did see you trying to calm Kirk down. Kirk's emotions have always run high. With my boys going thru the kids program at the same time, I have seen his emotions for years. I have to agree with Zs'dad about the best wrestling being in a 60 mile stretch. I just wish this year we could of climbed into 3rd to show how tough our league is, as it will be for years to come the way it looks.

Jim Broeckelman
Proud to be a Bluejay!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 199 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,954
Posts250,390
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)