Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15
Re: KC Metro Classic [Re: GT Williams] #122945 03/05/08 02:33 PM
24/7 Offline
9:27 minutes until show time!!!! I am just looking forward to some GREAT wrestling.

24/7

Re: KC Metro Classic [Re: Coach Brown] #122953 03/05/08 03:14 PM
K
kcfan Offline
K
 Originally Posted By: Coach Brown
Sabetha has never lost at the Metro-Aaron Georg(my assisstant) 1999-wbf, Matt Pyle-2004, Jason Pyle-2007 won in OT, and possibly Jordan Meyer.

I'm not sure you could be making that comment if Jason Pyle wrestled Shane Nay last year. There were 3 145s last year and I assume Pyle was KS's best, everyone knew Nay was MO's best.

Back to my earlier comment about wrestling best vs. best.

Re: KC Metro Classic [Re: GT Williams] #122955 03/05/08 03:39 PM
H
haynes Offline
H
g.t. i love competition. we send our kids where ever the toughest competition is. we put our kids in situations to lose, which sometimes we do. don't even think i need to make excuses for my kid or team to lose. i nstarted my post because several people were stating how ks. was underdogs on paper. i was just showing facts of why i don't buy that, never said anything about winning and losing. as for your other statement i don't think you know how the organizers planned it. when event first started 2 mo. coaches organized it off the dapper dan tournament in pa. the boundaries were set up the same as the k.c. star uses for their all metro teams, hence the name K.C. METRO CLASSIC. after a few or more years of mo. dominating the ks. side asked for some concession and given and kept reaching out farther and farther not always with mo. blessing. when you keep stating how on paper you're underdogs, your the ones making excuses if you lose or if you win what a showing, a no lose situation. bottom line, which ever team wins it's because their the best team on the mat tonight.

Re: KC Metro Classic [Re: kcfan] #122957 03/05/08 03:53 PM
C
C C Offline
C
 Originally Posted By: kcfan
There were 3 145s last year and I assume Pyle was KS's best, everyone knew Nay was MO's best.
Back to my earlier comment about wrestling best vs. best.

Nay's record was 29-5 while Pyle's opponent's record was 32-0.

Re: KC Metro Classic [Re: C C] #122967 03/05/08 04:30 PM
24/7 Offline
You can't compare OakPark's national schedule to whoever it was that was 32-0. Nay was a 4 time state champ. I don't even know who the other 145 was for Mo last year. Nay is a stud. That said you wrestle who is put in front of you. Pyle beat who was put on the mat with him. You can't fault him for that just don't try to imply Nay was not as good.

24/7

Re: KC Metro Classic [Re: C C] #122968 03/05/08 04:33 PM
'
'94 Gold Offline
'
this mileage "discussion" (read: whining) is ridiculous.
I'm from KS, and quite honestly I couldn't care less what team wins, and when it comes down to it, I don't think the organizers/coaches care that much either. We all just want to see the best matches we can get.
If KS had a 3 or 4 timer and MO had to go out of the "magic radius" to find a stud, great, bring 'em - let's see the best match we can see.

If there were something riding on the outcome - sure, load the thing up with rules, but there isn't. It's for fun. It's for entertainment. Most importantly it's for the kids to showcase thier talents and have one more match against great competition.

This is a great treat for area wrestling fans - let's look at it like that instead of some study in statistics and geography.

Re: KC Metro Classic [Re: '94 Gold] #122978 03/05/08 05:08 PM
K
kcfan Offline
K
I'm from MO and I would like to see MO win but mostly I want to see great matchups (best vs. best) so I agree with you on that point.

It is obvious that KS moves their line-up to whatever they feel gives them the best opportunity to win the dual, any coach would do that in a normal season or conference dual. They did it last year and again this year. My earlier point was that should not be what this event is about, exactly the same point you make.

I can assure you all the KS coaches and wrestlers were well aware of Nay's credentials and who MOs best 145 was last year regardless of record.

Re: KC Metro Classic [Re: kcfan] #122979 03/05/08 05:15 PM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
Enjoy it ladies and gentlenman - these young men are all very talented and I wish them the all the best. Their past achievemnts and work ethic will carry them a long way in the future - what ever that may be.

Re: KC Metro Classic [Re: '94 Gold] #122980 03/05/08 05:15 PM
C
C C Offline
C
 Originally Posted By: '94 Gold
I couldn't care less what team wins, and when it comes down to it, I don't think the organizers/coaches care

I would rather have a study in demographics than just saying we don't care who wins or loses. That's just great. The coaches, without a doubt, care who wins; otherwise they wouldn't be there.

Re: KC Metro Classic [Re: '94 Gold] #122983 03/05/08 05:23 PM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
this mileage "discussion" (read: whining) is ridiculous.
I'm from KS, and quite honestly I couldn't care less what team wins, and when it comes down to it, I don't think the organizers/coaches care that much either. We all just want to see the best matches we can get.
If KS had a 3 or 4 timer and MO had to go out of the "magic radius" to find a stud, great, bring 'em - let's see the best match we can see.

If there were something riding on the outcome - sure, load the thing up with rules, but there isn't. It's for fun. It's for entertainment. Most importantly it's for the kids to showcase thier talents and have one more match against great competition.

This is a great treat for area wrestling fans - let's look at it like that instead of some study in statistics and geography.

We are all in agreement that we want to see the best matches possible. Your comment about not caring who wins is curiously laughable. The coaches don't care much either? Do you have a hospital gown on? ;\)

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12

Re: KC Metro Classic [Re: kcfan] #122986 03/05/08 05:52 PM
'
'94 Gold Offline
'
It is obvious that KS moves their line-up to whatever they feel gives them the best opportunity to win the dual, any coach would do that in a normal season or conference dual.

Do you know that for a fact? I certainly don't.
I don't even know HOW you could manipulate it. Do you have any specific examples?

They did it last year and again this year.

again, how?

Originally Posted By: KCfan
I can assure you all the KS coaches and wrestlers were well aware of Nay's credentials and who MOs best 145 was last year regardless of record.

A quick google search -- this Nay kid was an '06 all-american. I'm guessing a lot of MO'ers expected him to wipe the floor with the KS farm kid.
That's the kind of stuff that makes events like this so great.

Re: KC Metro Classic [Re: Chief Renegade] #122987 03/05/08 05:54 PM
W
Wee Willie Offline
W
Coach Brown,

Why wouldn't you have set your Garmin last night on the way to weigh ins???? Or do you guys "bend" that rule and just not weigh in.Since it is so close to the metro it shouldn't be that big of a deal?? I know all the Missouri boys made weight at the same place last night.............I will agree that this was set up to be a fun event and should be left at that . Have fun be safe and wrestle hard boys!!!

Re: KC Metro Classic [Re: Wee Willie] #122989 03/05/08 05:58 PM
W
Wee Willie Offline
W
They didn't wrestle him against Nay. Pyle was the best KS had and they did not want to wrestle him against Nay no big deal if I was the coach I would do everything I could to win the dual also.

Re: KC Metro Classic [Re: Chief Renegade] #122990 03/05/08 05:59 PM
'
'94 Gold Offline
'
 Originally Posted By: Chief Renegade

We are all in agreement that we want to see the best matches possible. Your comment about not caring who wins is curiously laughable. The coaches don't care much either?

Of course they "want" to win. It's pride and bragging rights, that's all. In the grand scheme there is absolutely nothing at stake.

I "wanted" to win my east-west match, but I was already out of wrestling shape. I had other things on my mind. I lost a close match, whoopee.

I "want" to win at slap jack against my 8 yr old - that doesn't mean I stack the deck to make sure I do. (That's not at all a knock on MO's line up - I'm just trying to make a point)

I just don't know how you manipulate a wrestling line up when you have very few options at any given weight.

It's not like the coaches sit around waiting for the other side to post their line up so they can hand pick whatever kid they think has the best shot of beating them.

Originally Posted By: Chief
Do you have a hospital gown on? ;\)

I don't even know what that means.
Is that supposed to be a reference to a mental facility?

Re: KC Metro Classic [Re: '94 Gold] #122993 03/05/08 06:38 PM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C

So you "wanted to win" your east/west match as much as you want to win slap-jack against your 8 year old? Could that have anything to do with why you lost? The hospital gown would mean that you may not have a clear mind when you said the coaches don't care if they win. Let me assure you, they want to win. I also don't know where you got the "stacking the deck" analogy. Coaches prepare their line-up to give them the best opportunity to excel.

Addressing "the grand scheme of things"... Let's all be in agreement that this dual tonight has no eternal value. It's the year long grin that's the payoff!

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12

Re: KC Metro Classic [Re: Chief Renegade] #122994 03/05/08 06:44 PM
Coach Brown Offline
Ok a couple of answers,

Didn't go last night, had to go to kids practice with my own 5 year old son, Jordan went on his own. We didn't bend any rules, he made weight with all the rest of them I believe. I am not a coach of the Metro, just a coach who has had the privelege of many of my wretlers in the meet.

Pyle wanted to wrestle Nay and was looking for a good match, the coaches decided what would be best to win the dual and that's what happened. I also am not comparing our schedule to Oak Parks but don't act like we just wrestle in JV tourneys. Should be great dual regardless.

Coach Brown

Jason C. Brown
Head Coach Anderson County JR/SR High
jbrown@usd365.org
Re: KC Metro Classic [Re: '94 Gold] #122996 03/05/08 06:54 PM
K
kcfan Offline
K
It is obvious that KS moves their line-up to whatever they feel gives them the best opportunity to win the dual, any coach would do that in a normal season or conference dual.

Do you know that for a fact? I certainly don't.
I don't even know HOW you could manipulate it. Do you have any specific examples?

They did it last year and again this year.

again, how?

Originally Posted By: KCfan

A quick google search -- this Nay kid was an '06 all-american. I'm guessing a lot of MO'ers expected him to wipe the floor with the KS farm kid.
That's the kind of stuff that makes events like this so great.

Do I know it for a fact? No, only the KS coaches know.

Do I have Specific examples of this year and last?

2007 best possiple match-up
Nay vs Pyle

2008 best possible match-up
McCormick vs Forrest - champ vs champ (both nationally ranked)
Disney vs Madison - champ vs champ (2 nationally vs 5 nationally)
Forrest has never lost to McCormick and Madison has never lost to Disney

Nay vs KS farm kid. 14-7 still a convincing win

None of what I post is fact only my opinions and observation of how everything plays out by reading this forum.

Re: KC Metro Classic [Re: '94 Gold] #122997 03/05/08 07:00 PM
K
kcfan Offline
K
Ok you got your fact. I did not see the previous post before my reply.

Re: KC Metro Classic [Re: Chief Renegade] #122998 03/05/08 07:04 PM
'
'94 Gold Offline
'
 Originally Posted By: Chief Renegade

So you "wanted to win" your east/west match as much as you want to win slap-jack against your 8 year old? Could that have anything to do with why you lost?

eh maybe a little --
I had a college scholarship to worry about, and it wasn't for wrestling.
I probably didn't work out wrestling-wise for a total of 3 hrs between State and the E/W dual.

Originally Posted By: Chief Ren
I also don't know where you got the "stacking the deck" analogy. Coaches prepare their line-up to give them the best opportunity to excel.

The way some previous posts describe KS's approach it just sounded to me like that was the impression some of the MO'ers got of the KS team.
I just don't get what's to prepare. For example - I remember in my e/w dual one kid couldn't get there, and there was NOBODY to fill in. They had to call a JR from a nearby school to come up, and he won.
You get the best kid from the area (that is available) at that weight. I just don't see what the fuss is all about.

Quote:
Addressing "the grand scheme of things"... Let's all be in agreement that this dual tonight has no eternal value. It's the year long grin that's the payoff!

Can't argue with that.

Re: KC Metro Classic [Re: kcfan] #122999 03/05/08 07:17 PM
K
kcfan Offline
K
One more point.
Tanenbaum vs Forrest should be a great matchup as well as McCormick vs Pierce, but I think this was a counter move to McCormick moving up to 125.

Coach Brown, I don't think the poster was comparing your schedule to Oak Parks. He was comparing the Plattsburg schedule to Oak Parks.

These are all great wrestlers and I can't wait till tonight.

Good luck to ALL wrestlers.

Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 277 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,969
Posts250,407
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)