Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
321A OW #123754 03/11/08 01:24 AM
L
lakemats Offline OP
OP Offline
L
cant remember the last time a hwt won the ow. maybe boyle from norton. congrats to zlatnik on a much deserved award. u know whats rediculous, he has never been named the OW at any tourney in his HS career. there's something wrong with that. 321A coaches got it right. too bad it took this long to recognize one of the most dominating wrestlers in the state.

Tim Horgan
Re: 321A OW [Re: lakemats] #123781 03/11/08 02:17 AM
D
Dawg at Heart Offline
D
Wow, I can't believe that. Zlatnik the OW? Would have never thought looking at all the tournys that passed him up.

“I've lived to long with pain. I won't know who I am without it" - Orson Scott Card
Re: 321A OW [Re: Dawg at Heart] #123789 03/11/08 02:43 AM
L
lakemats Offline OP
OP Offline
L
amazing he wasn't even the regional wrestler of the year. wonder if thats ever happened. our region screwed that up. any other year meyer was deserving or hase for that matter(4 time regional champ) but for the regional coaches not to recognize zlatnik is a disgrace. too many coaches out there just pick their kid and pay no respect to what the most outstanding wrestler really means. we all want awards for our kids but lets make sure they're deserving.

Tim Horgan
Re: 321A OW [Re: lakemats] #123879 03/11/08 03:01 PM
J
jwright Offline
J
anyone know the other awards that were given to other classes?

Re: 321A OW [Re: jwright] #123886 03/11/08 03:21 PM
B
Brian K. Patton Offline
B
Go to kwca page! at the top,to the right.

Re: 321A OW [Re: Brian K. Patton] #123924 03/11/08 04:38 PM
J
John Steiger Offline
J
lakemats,
Normally I don't reply to a lot of what's posted here, but in this case, I feel compelled to do so. Specifically, I am referring to your references to coaches from the Rossville Regional, "screwing that up, disgracing themselves for not voting for Zlatnik, and picking their own kids and paying no respect to what the outstanding wrestler really means."
I am one of those coaches, and I voted for Meyer as the Regional Wrestler of the year, and I voted for Zlatnik for 3-2-1A wrestler of the year. By my interpretation, the regional wrestler of the year is just that... OF THE YEAR. Meyer was the only undefeated wrestler at that point and won by fall in the finals...definitely deserving of the award. Again, by my interpretation (and past votes), 3-2-1A Wrestler of the year is a career award. Dwayne is an incredible wrestler, and a fine young man...his stellar career was rightfully rewarded with the 3-2-1A award.
What I take offense at is your tone and choice of words when spouting your sweeping generalizations of wrestling coaches. We spend countless hours devoted to our own wrestlers, and do our best to recognize excellence in opposing wrestlers when given the chance to do so. We don't need "kudos" or "thanks" as we do it because we love wrestling and working with outstanding young men, but even though this is the case it gets tiresome when uninformed parties chose to lash out at us, believing they know exactly how all things wrestling should be and that their opinion is the gospel!
Congratulations to all Regional and All-Class Wrestlers of the year...you are all deserving!!
~John Steiger
Herington Head Coach

Re: 321A OW [Re: John Steiger] #124053 03/12/08 02:41 AM
L
lakemats Offline OP
OP Offline
L
coach steiger,
i can appreciate your stance. i cant agree that the best wrestler in 321A (as voted on by the coaches) is not the best wrestler from our region (as voted on by the coaches). i wouldn't consider myself an "uninformed party". after all they do give me a vote at the state tourney. so tell me what the majority of the 321A coaches in the state saw from zlatnik that our own regional coaches didn't? from a good source in hays, the voting wasn't even close. by the way melcher had a great tournament at hays.

Tim Horgan
Re: 321A OW [Re: lakemats] #124076 03/12/08 12:11 PM
J
John Steiger Offline
J
lakemats,
Thanks for the reply. I'm sorry my previous post was a bit "snippy"...sometimes it seems like people outside of wrestling are quick to judge coaches when they don't have a lot of insight, but it seems that's not the case with you. Again, I would defend the regional vote as it being more of a yearly award while the 3-2-1A OW is a career award. I know that's how I (and many coaches I know)view it and for me anyway, the two votes were pretty easy to make. As you said, there were others like Hase that were worthy but we only get to make one vote. I guess I feel like it's a good thing that 2 outstanding wrestlers were able to be recognized rather than just 1. In a sense, we're splitting hairs...there are plenty of great wrestlers in all areas of the state and it's good that we are debating which is best. I'm sure Dwayne wasn't too disappointed that he ONLY received the 3-2-1A award. Keep up the enthusiasm for our sport, and thanks for the Melcher comment...we were very happy with the way he stepped up at state!
~John Steiger

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 158 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,949
Posts250,385
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)