Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Senior Nationals #127293 04/03/08 03:05 PM
C
Coach Bammes Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I need some input i recently returned from senior nationals in which i took one of my wrestlers to compete in. Before i left i was made aware that it would be an approvable leave and i would not be docked pay all i needed was a signature from the AD in which i thought he was taking care off. But when i get back My AD says he will not approve my leave for this event and i will be docked pay for the days missed while attending this event with my wrestler? any comments

Thanks
Coach Bammes

Re: Senior Nationals [Re: Coach Bammes] #127298 04/03/08 03:53 PM
Kale Mann Offline
Mike,

The first thing I would say is that it is a good thing you are getting out of there!

I went last year and we had to jump through some hoops to get this counted as professional leave instead of personal leave. Things we brought up were the fact that our Robotics team made it to a national competition and the sponsors of that team were allowed to go. The SR. national event is not a KSHSAA sponsored event, but neither is any other national competition such as the Robotics or the Journalism stuff our Journalism teacher takes kids to.

We also have coaches that go to Basketball clinics in Vegas and get that approved. If your coaches do anything like that, it is another way to approach it since there are technique/coach clinics there (last year was J Robinson). That is another way to approach it.

Basically I would look for any precedents that the administration has already set, and ask them to apply the same standard to you.

Good luck!

Kale

Head Coach- Blue Valley High School
Re: Senior Nationals [Re: Coach Bammes] #127299 04/03/08 04:01 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Ghez man, that sucks. . . . On important things (such as this) I always try to get it in writing and over-communicate to the point of redundancy. You might tell the AD you'd really like to settle this with him - man to man -- but, if need be, you will go over his head to the Supt (or, whomever).

Also, the pen is mightier than the sword. You might write up a short report of the 'incident'. Show it to the AD, and let him know that you can send it out to over 100 newspapers in less than 72 hours (via the net) - if he hasn't changed his mind.

How long have you taught/coached in this district? Have others from your school went to this event and NOT got docked for it? It is sad that they are doing this to you. I’d fight it. I have taught for 19 years. I have fought a few battles during that time. Rarely have I lost (I’m not bragging – I’m just saying – if you believe you are truly ‘right’ – fight it, they usually cave.) Don't bluff.

“To go against one’s own conscience is neither safe nor wise.” Martin Luther

D. Dean Welsh, Junction City
***Dean plays well with others!!! ;-)
Re: Senior Nationals [Re: Dean Welsh] #127335 04/04/08 12:34 AM
usawks1 Offline
Coach Bammes ... It was my absolute pleasure to have you along on the trip this year! You were an asset to Team Kansas!!

Let me know if there is anything I can do for you!!

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: Senior Nationals [Re: Coach Bammes] #127347 04/04/08 02:10 AM
M
Mitch Beims Offline
M
Coach,
When I was at Colby they would have done the same thing. They didn't tell me one thing and then do another, however. That is disappointing. The superintendent just said that if I was out of personal days then they would deduct my pay for the days I missed. I never went for this reason. Very difficult to afford the trip anyway, even without getting your pay deducted on the other end. I guess they have to draw the line somewhere. I sure didn't and still don't think it should be drawn for an event like this one. Let us know how much you lost, maybe we can take up a collection.

Re: Senior Nationals [Re: Mitch Beims] #127356 04/04/08 05:25 AM
Cokeley Offline
Just another slap to the face of wrestling by an administrator. I am happy that we live in an area where we have a choice and we are not forced by geography to attend a specific school. I would gladly chip in as well. Unfortunately it appears to be another one of those instances where you get all of the i's dotted and the t's crossed before you leave. You just can't trust anyone these days!

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Senior Nationals [Re: Cokeley] #127357 04/04/08 05:45 AM
C
CoachDeYoe Offline
C
Bammes-

You attended the coaches clinic held by Coach Ryan the day before the tournament. This can and should be counted towards "professional hours". I will provide any verification you may need to show how valuable of an asset you were to Team Kansas and provide information about what you gained if you need.

A) NHSCA membership dues were paid and good for a year of service. These include insurance for anything that may occur while you are being a responsible coach.
B) You attended the Tom Ryan coaches clinic and all NHSCA coaching meetings.
C) You were present and valuable for Team Kansas through the entire weekend as a coach, chaperon, and USAW-Kansas representative.

If Dodge City H.S. paid for your KWCA coaching clinic and membership, then they should cover this because of the insurance and professional hours that it provides you as a coach in their district. Let me know if I can assist you in any way.

DeYoe

Last edited by CoachDeYoe; 04/04/08 03:52 PM.
Re: Senior Nationals [Re: CoachDeYoe] #127382 04/04/08 06:46 PM
G
Gary Ulmer Offline
G
Coach Bammes,

Coach DeYoe is correct. The clinic portion of this event gave you an opportunity to advance your coaching skills. At the same time you represented Kansas, the community of Dodge City, and helped a young person from that community. Over the years most districts have been good about recognizing the development potential of this meet and its related clinic for their coaches.

Let me know if I can be of assistance in this matter,
Gary Ulmer

Last edited by Gary Ulmer; 04/04/08 10:19 PM.

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Curtis Rein), 94 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,968
Posts250,406
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)