Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Goddard - Please change to a SPLIT #135330 01/11/09 05:19 PM
W
WrestlingforFun Offline OP
OP Offline
W
While the competition was fun at Goddard and the gym was a great wrestling atmosphere the 2 hour delay was AGAIN a huge disappointment. This was our first year at Goddard but from what I understand not the first for the long delays. I am not buying the delay to Track Wrestling. Track wrestling is wonderful if setup and used properly. If track was the problem why not have a split tourney so you can have fewer issues to deal with prior to the first session and have all the problems corrected prior to the second.

Many Kids waited up to 4.5 hours to wrestle. Wrestling is a difficult and demanding sport especially for the little ones. All I am trying to do is find ways to eliminate some of the controllable issues that may deter some of the kids from enjoying wrestling and staying in it. Thanks for considering a split tourney next year. Without a split I know many people that have said they will not be back.

WrestlingforFUN

Re: Goddard - Please change to a SPLIT [Re: WrestlingforFun] #135333 01/11/09 05:31 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Originally Posted By: WrestlingforFun
While the competition was fun at Goddard and the gym was a great wrestling atmosphere the 2 hour delay was AGAIN a huge disappointment. This was our first year at Goddard but from what I understand not the first for the long delays. I am not buying the delay to Track Wrestling. Track wrestling is wonderful if setup and used properly. If track was the problem why not have a split tourney so you can have fewer issues to deal with prior to the first session and have all the problems corrected prior to the second.

Many Kids waited up to 4.5 hours to wrestle. Wrestling is a difficult and demanding sport especially for the little ones. All I am trying to do is find ways to eliminate some of the controllable issues that may deter some of the kids from enjoying wrestling and staying in it. Thanks for considering a split tourney next year. Without a split I know many people that have said they will not be back.

WrestlingforFUN
It is always preferable when leaving criticism for a tournament to have the courtesy to leave your name.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Goddard - Please change to a SPLIT [Re: RichardDSalyer] #135353 01/11/09 08:49 PM
S
Spexy Offline
S
The way to fix delays is to NOT have saturday weigh-ins. Everyone weighs in friday night. You would have to set up satellite weigh-ins at other facilities, this would give ample time to get all the brackets ready the night before, so when you show up saturday everything is ready to go. Also the printer went down during the printing of bout sheets, no fault of Goddard, and the wireless system kept going down, that is the reason for the late start.

Eric Spexarth
Re: Goddard - Please change to a SPLIT [Re: Spexy] #135371 01/11/09 11:04 PM
W
wrstgmom43 Offline
W
I have to say this was the worst tournament we have been to this year, so far. It was the same as last year; late, there early, not getting out until late, and too much time between matches. Needless to say, our coaches and some wrestlers will not be back next year. It was way too long. Starting too late. Some of the refs were awful! It was just bad all the way around. Sorry, but I don't blame it on Trackwrestling. I blame it on the club. It was the same way last year and nothing changed. JMO.

Re: Goddard - Please change to a SPLIT [Re: wrstgmom43] #135379 01/12/09 12:29 AM
Z
Zach F. Dad Offline
Z
I've been to Goddard tournament in the past. Though sometimes has been long (do to alot of entries= lots of mat time) it's normaly been a good tournament and a good venue. I can gauruntee you it wasn't the worst tournment this year.

Re: Goddard - Please change to a SPLIT [Re: wrstgmom43] #135384 01/12/09 01:27 AM
S
Spexy Offline
S
Before you go and "Blame the club" I suggest you get all the facts of what went on. People showing up late for weigh-ins was huge by 30 min. computer problems, etc. Nothing the club did was wrong, But it goes to show no matter how hard you work to put on a tourney, with good compitision, not everyone is going to be happy.....

Eric Spexarth
Re: Goddard - Please change to a SPLIT [Re: Spexy] #135385 01/12/09 01:41 AM
D
dagwood Offline
D
I agree with Spexy totally. My question to those who expect every tournament to run perfectly is are you involved with helping put together one of theses tournaments or do you just show up expecting everything to be perfect wrestle and go home. It takes many dedicated volunteers and lots of man hours to put on a tournament so instead of judging offer to help out or at least bring a suggestion to how theses clubs can improve on their tournaments. As for Goddard I will be back next year you can't blame them for printer malfunctions and the competition was well worth the wait

Darren Newton
Re: Goddard - Please change to a SPLIT [Re: dagwood] #135389 01/12/09 02:32 AM
W
wrstgmom43 Offline
W
Yea, but two years in a row? And our coaches weren't the only ones who were complaining. The kids were tired and so were the parents. We went to other tournaments that used Trackwrestling and everything went smoothly. I am just sorry to say that we gave Goddard a second chance and they blew it. There are other tournaments we don't go to anymore d/t the same problems over and over again. Who knows, season's young, maybe there will be worse?

Re: Goddard - Please change to a SPLIT [Re: wrstgmom43] #135401 01/12/09 04:16 AM
bawoody Offline
First, let me start by apologizing to all of the clubs that attended our tournament. In no way did I want things to happen the way they did and I will not make excuses for the 1 hour and 15 minute delay we had. Track Wrestling had nothing to do with the reason for our delay or the holdup during the tournament. We had several things that contributed to the problems we had.

Spexy is correct about several clubs showing up 30 to 45 minutes late for weigh-ins. We tried to accommodate those individuals to prevent having to make a lot scratches. For those of you who have run Track Wrestling you know it is not just a matter of deleting the no-shows. One of the other contributing factors is the printer we rented quit working as we started the National Anthem and then we lost our wireless internet access. We are required by the school to be wireless to access the internet and after a few phone calls the school did give us a hard line to the internet. We tried hard to recover as quickly as we could but in the end, I’m afraid it was too late. For any of you that know me know I tried my best to make sure I planed a tournament everyone would enjoy. Regrettably, that just did not happen.

Please do not blame the club for the problems the tournament experienced. The parents and volunteers worked very hard to make everyone happy. I accept full responsibility for the issues we had. Anyone that fells they need to talk to me about the tournament please fell free to call me at 316-259-7353. Again, I want to apologize to the clubs that attended. If you choose not to come next year I can fully understand.

Sincerely,
Bruce A. Woodruff

Bruce Woodruff
Re: Goddard - Please change to a SPLIT [Re: wrstgmom43] #135402 01/12/09 04:18 AM
BLT Offline
It was not track wrestlings fault. You can look all over this forum and see where bawoody (The Goddard Tournament Director) talks nothing but positive about TW and offers ways to improve it.
They lost their wireless internet & they had to run hard wires to run the TW.
They also had printer issues.
Yes this is the 2nd year of running late and YES next year it will be better.
This is a 700 kid tournament. They do 85% of the weigh ins friday but keep Sat weigh ins open to please the few.
I think you are going to see people continue to use TW. I also think you are going to see those people stop Sat weigh ins.
Then everyone is going to complain that they can't drive up & back Friday or its too far. Or then they will say well then do Satelite weigh ins.
Well if I was running that tournament and you called me and you told me YOU were willing to pay a ref to supervise your weigh ins so that you wouldn't have to drive all the way to my weigh ins then I would be cool with that. It would save you lost of $ to do that and make it easier on the host as well.
That might be the way to go to ensure the integrity of the weigh ins.
Goddard is great club!
Great facility!
AWSOME COMPETITION!
Yes they need to run a split tournament.
Yes the refs were lacking!!!!
But either way...
WE WILL BE BACK!
Thanks GWC!
Better luck next year!
You know if

Re: Goddard - Please change to a SPLIT [Re: BLT] #135404 01/12/09 04:26 AM
BLT Offline
Wow Bruce,
Looks like we were typing at the same time. That's very big of you. A lot of people know how many hours you & Wes Gardner spent trying to make this thing smooth.
I know it will be better next year!
Do you plan on moving to a split format?
Either way if a few clubs don't show it will still be 600 if the best kids in the state and we will get out of the earlier anyways LOL!
Thanks for all your hardwork!
We will see you soon!

Re: Goddard - Please change to a SPLIT [Re: bawoody] #135418 01/12/09 01:32 PM
Mike Furches Offline
Originally Posted By: bawoody
First, let me start by apologizing to all of the clubs that attended our tournament. In no way did I want things to happen the way they did and I will not make excuses for the 1 hour and 15 minute delay we had. Track Wrestling had nothing to do with the reason for our delay or the holdup during the tournament. We had several things that contributed to the problems we had.

Spexy is correct about several clubs showing up 30 to 45 minutes late for weigh-ins. We tried to accommodate those individuals to prevent having to make a lot scratches. For those of you who have run Track Wrestling you know it is not just a matter of deleting the no-shows. One of the other contributing factors is the printer we rented quit working as we started the National Anthem and then we lost our wireless internet access. We are required by the school to be wireless to access the internet and after a few phone calls the school did give us a hard line to the internet. We tried hard to recover as quickly as we could but in the end, I’m afraid it was too late. For any of you that know me know I tried my best to make sure I planed a tournament everyone would enjoy. Regrettably, that just did not happen.

Please do not blame the club for the problems the tournament experienced. The parents and volunteers worked very hard to make everyone happy. I accept full responsibility for the issues we had. Anyone that fells they need to talk to me about the tournament please fell free to call me at 316-259-7353. Again, I want to apologize to the clubs that attended. If you choose not to come next year I can fully understand.

Sincerely,
Bruce A. Woodruff

I have a ton of respect for the Goddard Club, the issues have been addressed here, if someone still has problems with the tournament, and then I would suggest doing something productive, do what Bruce suggested and give a call. It is not easy to run a tournament, I am amazed at how often some complain that haven't run one, I do like the suggestion of Satellite weigh ins with a paid certified official there to verify weigh ins with certified scales. If folks want to know who in part to blame I think talking about the clubs that continue to show up late at weigh ins is a starting point, it seems that few ever talk about these people. A suggestion here, get to weigh in on time.

Re: Goddard - Please change to a SPLIT [Re: Mike Furches] #135426 01/12/09 02:57 PM
Sudawn Bradley Offline
I don't how many of the people/clubs that were late ran into the same issue we did - the directions printed off mapquest were wrong/misleading. Once we got off the turnpike - there were conflicting directions - it said to hang left but take E54/400. If you hung left, it would take you to W54/400. Well, we assumed, wrongly, that the E54/400 was correct and that the ramps had probably just changed and you used to hange left. By the time we realized we were going the wrong direction - we were 16 miles from El Dorado and it was 6:15. We made it to Goddard at 6:55, however, we could have easily missed the 7:00 deadline. We were very worried that we got up at 2:30 in the morning and might not be allowed to weighin.

Re: Goddard - Please change to a SPLIT [Re: Sudawn Bradley] #135473 01/13/09 12:45 AM
C
CBR's Dad Offline
C
The tournament may not have gone as planned, but I do believe the problems were beyond the Goddard wrestling clubs control. A few of us traveled to goddard from Topeka and Kansas City to find good competition, and we found it. My only suggestion would be to start moving matches when other mats came available. The older boys finished wrestling in the other gym and they broke down the mats and cleaned up. Matches could have been moved and things would have gone alot faster. On another note the guys that went with me had never been to Goddard High school (nor had I) and we thought the gym and surounding facility was awesome! If you haven't been there I recommend it highly. I will give Goddard another chance next year and I hope that it goes smoother. If it doesn't I'm afraid that a good tournament and a nice facility may turn into a/an bad venue to go to. It's a hard pill to swallow when you put so much work into a venue and problems beyond your control make a good tournament into a bad one. I believe it will be better next. There's alot of dedicated people in the Goddard wrestling club.

Re: Goddard - Please change to a SPLIT [Re: CBR's Dad] #135540 01/13/09 06:22 PM
H
hartley5 Offline
H
Yes, Goddard made for a long day, but there was excellent competition. Goddard did not change the brackets several times after they were posted; although it was very crowded in the stands it was not hot! By far one of the best local tournaments I have attended this year! Every tournament has its bumps, but Goddard had a very good tournament, Thank you to all of the volunteers at Goddard!

Last edited by hart5; 01/13/09 06:23 PM.

Ryan Hartley

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 284 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,964
Posts250,402
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)