Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Site Requirements to Host a Regional #140462 02/22/09 10:39 PM
WillyM Offline OP
OP Offline
After seeing a few regionals, in 2 classifications and at several different locations, I want to offer some comments on what should be strict facility amd management requirements to host a regional.

1. All mats and matches in one (1) gym. Having matches in an aux gym or the wrestling room is disruptive and greatly detracts from the regional atmosphere. Side comment: 4 mats on one gym floor will probably mean a cut in fan/spectator system as on set of bleacher probably not used. Also saw tourneys/regional this year using 4 mats gyms with sunken gym. Usually resulted in fan/parents/spectators (and school banner tied to the balcony rails) standing at the balcony rails blocking every ones view.

3. All clocks/scoreboards have to be viewable by all spectators (from any seat in the house). Spring Hill regional had two triangular clocks/scoreboard on stands, and two one sided table top clocks/scoreboards. regardless of where I sat I could not see all of the faces of the two table tops. Asked if they could use the two BB clocks/score boards---no response from sitepersonnel!

4. Software and a projector to project updated team scores.

5. Standardizedwrestling tournament software that can be linked to the internet. The software I see on several host pages is produced by "Preferred Educational Software". Several pages have some locally produced formats that lack the info PES software contains.

6. All hosts required to post an internet regional fact sheet at least one day prior to the tournament. Would also be nice to see the filled in brackets on line a day early. With PES software this should be easy!!!

7. And last, a crowd controlled remote to the music machine/PA system. You have to age 40 or older to even touch the remote. If no remote, KSHSAA to issue each site manager a disc or tape of elevator music. Sunday afternoon and I still have a headache!!

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: Site Requirements to Host a Regional [Re: WillyM] #140507 02/23/09 05:47 AM
R
ReadnReact Offline
R
Reminds me of the saying: If our music's too loud, you're too old!

Re: Site Requirements to Host a Regional [Re: ReadnReact] #140513 02/23/09 10:58 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Originally Posted By: ReadnReact
Reminds me of the saying: If our music's too loud, you're too old!
Can Waylon Jennings be played too loud? If you do not know Waylon you are not old enough!

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Site Requirements to Host a Regional [Re: RichardDSalyer] #140514 02/23/09 11:34 AM
C
Conrad1 Offline
C
#6. so you want the seeding meeting the night before. its a good thought unless your traveling 2 hours to your region.
#7 seems a little to much. elevator music thats sure to get the fans pumped for the finals or whatever.

Travis Conrad
Wabaunsee High School
Wabaunsee Wrestling Club
Re: Site Requirements to Host a Regional [Re: Conrad1] #140521 02/23/09 12:13 PM
S
Scooby Offline
S
I would like to see seeding meeting done via the internet to cut down on the traveling coaches. I also believe that seeding should be done like the basketballa nd all off win loss record and it is percentage- plug them in and go. I know I am in the minority hear but it would make things so much easier- as a wrestler I could have cared less where you seed me- it was where I finished that I cared about

I would like to see the tournaments be able to be run smoothly and on time. I would also like to have it in one gym but that would make for a longer day- so make it so the back side is in one gyma dn the front side in another or something like that-

If we kept the fans outside and only let them view the updates that would allow more room for the wrestlers *L*

Re: Site Requirements to Host a Regional [Re: RichardDSalyer] #140522 02/23/09 12:17 PM
WillyM Offline OP
OP Offline
Waylon, and Willie, are laid back guys who make laid back music. Gots to play it low to appreciate the lyrics and the melody. Makes you relax, goes real good with a beer and smoke--if you still smoke---but no green leafy matter.

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: Site Requirements to Host a Regional [Re: WillyM] #140525 02/23/09 12:24 PM
WillyM Offline OP
OP Offline
My understanding that with software like the PES that bracketing and seeding can be done electronically. Key would be getting all the coaches to get their rosters to the site manager in a timely manner.

Have read several posts from coaches discussing the time and costs of travel difficulties to attend early seeding meetings. Very cogent point--which also lends credence to electronic seeding--or at least confwerence call seeding meetings.

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: Site Requirements to Host a Regional [Re: Scooby] #140527 02/23/09 12:39 PM
Beeson Offline
Originally Posted By: Scooby
I also believe that seeding should be done like the basketball and all off win loss record and it is percentage- plug them in and go.

You really didn't mean that did you? confused

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: Site Requirements to Host a Regional [Re: Beeson] #140530 02/23/09 12:57 PM
S
Scooby Offline
S
I know it aint the popular decision- but I am not always popular- in smallville kansas I have to try and find ways of cutting cost and driving 3 hours to a regional seeding meeting and then back home again is not the answer either. Surely we can come up with a better why then to agrue about well I beat hima nd you beat him but you can beat me type of things

I would also like the boys to have the opportunity to prepared in advance for the upcoming match then to have to get it 30 minutes before we hit the mat

Re: Site Requirements to Host a Regional [Re: Beeson] #140536 02/23/09 01:32 PM
RJW1 Offline
I also believe that seeding should be done like the basketball and all off win loss record and it is percentage- plug them in and go.

This would favor a team that has a pathetic schedule! I would never go for this and would rather do what is right instead of what is easier.

Rick Williams
Colby High School
Re: Site Requirements to Host a Regional [Re: Scooby] #140537 02/23/09 01:33 PM
RJW1 Offline

This would favor a team that has a pathetic schedule! I would never go for this and would rather do what is right instead of what is easier.

Rick Williams
Colby High School
Re: Site Requirements to Host a Regional [Re: RJW1] #140538 02/23/09 01:36 PM
S
Scooby Offline
S
RJW

I completely agree it would favor a weaker schedule but for a school that is thinking about cuts to send a coach 3 hours for seeding meeting and not only once but throughout the year it does add expense

Re: Site Requirements to Host a Regional [Re: Scooby] #140752 02/24/09 11:11 AM
C
Conrad1 Offline
C
Lol the agrueing is the fun part. but RJW is right cant punish the teams that go out and look for solid competion, while theres other teams who go to weak tournments and come into reginals with their 20 and some records and really havent wrestled anyone.

Last edited by Coach Conrad; 02/24/09 11:20 AM.

Travis Conrad
Wabaunsee High School
Wabaunsee Wrestling Club
Re: Site Requirements to Host a Regional [Re: Conrad1] #140766 02/24/09 12:15 PM
S
Shelstin Offline
S
Rick is EXACTLY right. Look at any regional. Kids with weak schedules and huge records never make it out of the third round, while kids with .500 records push through. Seed a state qualifier...ANY TOURNAMENT based upon record only? Give me a break. That is NOT in the best interest of anyone. Cut other places. Have video conferences on computers. Find other ways, but to seed a wrestling tournamant based soley upon records is a weak idea. Any coach worth a damn that I know would pay his own gas not to have to do that!

Rick Cue
ExHC
Ulysses
Re: Site Requirements to Host a Regional [Re: Shelstin] #140778 02/24/09 01:08 PM
S
Scooby Offline
S
It isnt just the gas- its the travel time to and from. Just using Sabetha as an example- I believe the trip to Beloit is about 3 hours and if the seeding meeting was the night before- he would have to drive out to Beloit have a long seeding meeeting then drive home just to get up early the next morning to go back to Beloit. The gas money is nothing compared to the safety of the coach traveling 6 hours on the road way late at night and probably gettign to work early to get caught up- if he is a teacher then you have to add int he Sub that is needed for his absents. I would think the coach could get a hotel to save on the travel but then who supervises the kids on the bus or in our cause (not from Sabetha) someone to drive the van because the school doesnt want us to take a bus. You have to have supervision as well for the kids.

I am all for doing it via internet as well

Now about the comment about you see weaker kids getting knocked out of the tournament- exactly and if you have a good kid that has been tested over the year- he should make it through to state no matter the seed. If you want to be better you will wrestle the best competetion you can in my opinion.

Re: Site Requirements to Host a Regional [Re: Scooby] #140781 02/24/09 01:21 PM
S
Shelstin Offline
S
But you don't set it up that way. That's my point. When you cross bracket to the consolations you will have a few consolation semis that are stacked and some that are weak. You need to get the best kids into the semi finals for it all to work out. Upsets happen, but if you seed by record only you are only asking for a huge mess. I am getting really tired of the cutting costs, travel time, unfair to make us travel stuff. If you coach in western Kansas you live with it. We have tried the conference call, internet conference angle because of bad weather a few times. It works, but it takes much longer. It takes a two hour seeding meeting about twice as long to get done. Not worth it, in my opinion.

Rick Cue
ExHC
Ulysses
Re: Site Requirements to Host a Regional [Re: Shelstin] #140921 02/25/09 01:00 AM
W
wrestling67 Offline
W
The internet would be an ok idea. If you have some coaches that truely dont care about how their kids are seeded in an actual meeting, then they probably wouldnt make the effort there either. The big issue is and has been no on line status, and maybe it should be that if you failed to do this this year, then the next time you are suppose to get it you wont. There will always be excuses for not having them posted, thats all they are EXCUSES. I traveled to Dodge City and when I returned home they were still not posted. I went looking for the results and posted them myself. In fact look at the KWCA site and you will see that they are my results not official results from Dodge City. That should tell you something right there. Grant it I was the 6A ranking individual last year and maybe they trust my imput but at least show some effort and get the official results posted when they are suppose to be.

Mel

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 254 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,964
Posts250,402
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)