Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: MIAA Duals in Hays This Weekend [Re: Spladle U] #160388 02/15/10 11:44 PM
K
khk Offline
K
Boy what a fun dual to watch. The crowd got into it and Mr. Momentum couldn't decide what he wanted to do. I think that Tommy set the tone right from the start, that we didn't come to watch. UNO is so tough at 133, 174, and 197 these guys are a step above most guys imho.
FHSU needs all the fans to come out on Wed. night to show the same support as the UNO dual. GO TIGERS

Re: MIAA Duals in Hays This Weekend [Re: ike] #160397 02/16/10 12:13 AM
L
LancerLou Offline
L
Your math doesn’t add up. The 4 matches FHSU won were by decision. UNO won 3 matches by fall, 1 by major & 2 by decision. The final result was 28 to 12. Even if the 2 matches you thought could have gone the other way had been won by FHSU the final would have still been UNO 22 to FHSU 18.

It is correct that the FHSU heavyweight scored the only takedown in that match and it was pretty impressive. However; you admit that he sat on the bottom for 2 periods and didn’t have “fire in his belly”. That is not how you win over Madison. I do honestly give him credit for continuing after the hand injury.

In the 149 lb match your assessment of him not being aware of the score, minimal action and no urgency in the last minute is pretty faint praise for a match you thought could have gone your way.

Ike - I enjoy yours posts, but I think in your well-meaning praise you were a little hard on FHSU. As I said, FHSU won more matches than many expected and as Spladle posted, they stepped up and challenged UNO, making it an exciting dual. I will be following them at Nationals. Heck, I’d even be glad to cheer them on to a 2nd place finish right behind UNO!

On another note, a couple of posters have mentioned the lobbying, etc from the UNO coaches. I want to share that in his 31st year of coaching; I am told that Coach Denney has given up a single penalty point for questioning a call. That’s a pretty impressive record of good conduct for a very successful coach and all round quality guy!

Lou Ann Baker

Re: MIAA Duals in Hays This Weekend [Re: LancerLou] #160411 02/16/10 01:54 AM
I
ike Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Well aware of how scoring works. I didn't really elaborate. They could have won that dual had things gone differently including the two matches I mentioned. They are going to get bonus points in some of those wins but those don't have to be pins. You give Chance a pin (I'd love to see the video), etc.

I say it how I see it. I'm 100% behind the Tigers. That doesn't mean you have to stroke em.

I think the National tourney is determined by your studs more than your other guys. The others help but the big guns get you up the ladder. Look at Adams St...perfect example nearly every year they have a handful of guns that shoot them up to the top 5. FHSU has 5 guys that have a legit shot to AA, really even make the finals (Edgemon, Harrison, Grater, Malloy, and Rencountre). Kuhn and Kuhlman are definitely capable of bringing back AA honors. The others aren't so much of a threat but anything can happen with fire in the belly. IF you can pull out two wins you bring home AA honors.

I signed with UNO out of Juco's and have much respect for the UNO program and Coach Denney. It's the model program in my mind in many respects. Coaches are suppose to lobby the refs....nothing wrong with it. There is an art to it and they have the art down.

Re: MIAA Duals in Hays This Weekend [Re: LancerLou] #160412 02/16/10 01:55 AM
S
Spladle U Offline
S
Lancer Lou is correct about Coach Denney. He would not lobby for a point he did not feel his wrestler had earned. It just is not his nature. And in the one penalty point that he was given, he was right and the official was wrong. The official just wanted to prove that he could penalize a big time coach but he was so, so wrong.

As far as FHSU they are a much improved team from last year and even since National Duals. The team that UNO blew out last year at the same MIAA Duals, had a lot more fire than before. But to beat a team like UNO you need to do a lot to "shake them" up. As you saw yesterday they do not panic. I saw them answer the 125 win by FHSU with a pin at 133, a major at 141 and a solid win abiet close decision (they seem to get 'em when they need 'em) at 149. FHSU steps up with another upset at 157 and a key win over the UNO backup at 165. Once again no panic by UNO and they answer back with a quick fall at 174. FHSU again pulls the upset in the 184 match and now has the crowd on their side. At this time a weaker team could of folded but UNO showed their experience with another fall at 197 to clinch the dual and a decision at 285 that really did not matter.

Bottomline is the stoppers for UNO at 133, 141, 149, 174 and 197 showed why UNO is #1. FHSU is a much improved team over the 34-6 loss at the last duals. But make no mistake you must have "fire in your belly" in all of the matches to beat UNO.

I say hats off to FHSU. They wrestled well and are rapidly improving. Not at national champion level but definetly improving.

Last edited by Spladle U; 02/16/10 02:40 AM.
Re: MIAA Duals in Hays This Weekend [Re: Spladle U] #160416 02/16/10 02:03 AM
I
ike Offline OP
OP Offline
I
UNO is head and shoulders above the field...no doubt. Can they be beat...yes, but not likely. Did FHSU wrestle them well...damn right.

I wouldn't call any of the FHSU wins upsets...they are rankings and non of those guys are like Garcia. Garcia losing to anyone is an upset. Ivanov to Grater...not an upset. Boehm to Rencountre...he's beat him twice this year. A 5th year Senior and returning national finalist over a freshman...not an upset. Rankings are rankings...we all know that.

UNO will win another National title in all likelyhood. FHSU is a very tough team right now and I'm saying top five finish.

Last edited by ike; 02/16/10 02:07 AM.
Re: MIAA Duals in Hays This Weekend [Re: ike] #160417 02/16/10 02:04 AM
I
ike Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Oh...didn't mention Harrison was out at 141 and a 133 pounder gave Mario a scare several times.

Last edited by ike; 02/16/10 02:05 AM.
Re: MIAA Duals in Hays This Weekend [Re: ike] #160418 02/16/10 02:06 AM
S
Spladle U Offline
S
I guess you could have a point about the term upset. But I was just going off the rankings. Definetly 184 WAS an upset though. Unranked beats a former finalist and current #2, upset. But yeah rankings are rankings-someones opinion. I just used them for what they are, a reference point. I guess tho if you beat someone twice maybe it is NOT an upset. Let me think about that one ike.

Boehm is a sophomore, not a senior.

ike, did you ever actually wrestle for Coach Denney or did you go elsewhere after JUCO's and what weight class were you at the time.

Last edited by Spladle U; 02/16/10 02:28 AM.
Re: MIAA Duals in Hays This Weekend [Re: ike] #160419 02/16/10 02:12 AM
S
Spladle U Offline
S
Originally Posted By: ike
Oh...didn't mention Harrison was out at 141 and a 133 pounder gave Mario a scare several times.
haha...I doubt Mario was scared. He might be the coolest one on the UNO team. He doesn't ever panic. Remember the last 15 seconds last year in the MIAA duals when he won (with a fall)after the FHSU kid relaxed thinking it was over?. Not pretty but it definetly showed he doesn't panic. He definetly was not giving up bonus points no matter who was wrestling for Ft. Hayes. 22 straight wins since he was last at Ft. Hayes so he was ready for anything and anyone.

And that 141 (He has 9 matches at 141-1 at 133 so he is a 141) for FHSU, Isenberg is no scrub but he was not about to Greco his way to a win against Mario a Illinois 3x Greco state champ. He was a legit DI guy out of h.s. (like Mario) so I think UNO expected him to wrestle hard. Once again UNO did not panic and got the major.

BTW...what is going on with Harrison? Out for two weeks in a row? How bad is his injury and will he be back for regionals. FHSU is in a tough 141 regional. Really 141 is a 4 man championship race, Adams State, UNO, FHSU and Colorado Mines. Everyone else is fighting to AA.

Still was a great dual for both teams.

Last edited by Spladle U; 02/16/10 02:54 PM.
Re: MIAA Duals in Hays This Weekend [Re: Spladle U] #160484 02/16/10 03:41 PM
I
ike Offline OP
OP Offline
I
I was refering to Edgemon and McKinney in the returning national finalist fifth year Senior vs. Freshman. McKinney is tough but I'd favor Edgemon going into that.

141...Harrison beat Morgan the last time they wrestled. Morgan is capable of beating Harrison too though. Isenberg is wrestling at 141 but as you saw...he's a 33! Morgan may not have been "scared" but any man that is put to their back (even briefly) is concerned at some level. Harrison will be back at Regions.

Pankoke wasn't in...but his backup could AA now. Malloy can go with anyone. He's won 14 straight.

184's...It's dumb that Rencountre hasn't been ranked. He's won 14 straight too. It's like Wright from Highlands not being ranked and going to #1 the first time he shows up. I said Rencountre was a 5 through 8 finish at Nationals before the dual. I'm more inclined to say 1 through 4 now. Rencountre is just a Junior too.

Never wrestled for Denney. Signed a scholarship offer and got an apartment but life had other plans. I'd have been at 174 during 99-01. I sat out a year then wrestled at Syracuse. I've always pulled for UNO and the Kansas kids that head that way. Now I'm ready for FHSU to start keeping some of those Kansas kids in state! FHSU is much improved and ready for their best finish ever. Not a title team but a top five team.

Last edited by ike; 02/16/10 03:45 PM.
Re: MIAA Duals in Hays This Weekend [Re: Spladle U] #160486 02/16/10 03:49 PM
I
ike Offline OP
OP Offline
I
[/quote]
BTW...what is going on with Harrison? Out for two weeks in a row? How bad is his injury and will he be back for regionals. [/quote]

edit

Last edited by RichardDSalyer; 02/16/10 10:05 PM. Reason: Remove inappropriate comment!
Re: MIAA Duals in Hays This Weekend [Re: ike] #160533 02/16/10 07:29 PM
S
shudog Offline
S
That had to hurt!!!! Now that is funny!!! LOL

Last edited by shudog; 02/16/10 07:32 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RichardDSalyer 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 161 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,954
Posts250,390
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)