Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Goodland Thoughts #165774 03/21/10 03:04 AM
J
JJD Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Alot of great matches on the day. Kids gave it all they had. Facility not big enough for districts. Over 100 people standing. Started 1hr late plus delay. Finished at 6pm when could of utilzed mats and finished 1hr earlier. Bench seating dangerous for small kids and many items fell threw benches. Please rethink having here again. Hays, Dodge are better suited for this type of event.. Good luck to all going to State...

Last edited by JJD; 03/21/10 03:04 AM.
Re: Goodland Thoughts [Re: JJD] #165812 03/21/10 02:22 PM
S
schooner Offline
S
Yes, it was a great day of wrestling! I do agree that the facility was not big enough for districts. I also agree that the seating in the gym the 14 and under used was dangerous. Not only for children, but I saw many older spectators nervously making their way to and from their seats. On a positive note, our seats gave us a great view of all the mats. A tournament of this size is a great challenge to organize. Thanks to Goodland!

Re: Goodland Thoughts [Re: schooner] #165815 03/21/10 02:57 PM
MATT-FAN Offline
I have been to Dodge City, Cimmarron, when the tournament was being held by District South clubs. They were nice facilities, but could not handle the district crowds, and also we were there from 6:00 to 7:00 P.M. And as far as the district tournament being in the north, Hays and Goodland are the only ones with the facilities to handle it, and Hays facility which has been at the High School is nice, but it had issues as far as handling the crowd traffic. Anytime you have 600 + kids, and all family and friends, it is hard to have no crowd traffic problems in the facility. So whoever is complaining about Goodland, unless you want to have all of the District 4 tournaments held in Salina or out East, be thankful for the short drive and the people who put in the hard work.

Re: Goodland Thoughts [Re: MATT-FAN] #165819 03/21/10 03:16 PM
wrestlemom33 Offline
I agree with matt-fan, Goodland has had districts many times before this one, there was alot of people there alot more then I have seen there in the past at districts, I think everyone should be thanking the Goodland wrestling club as they did allow that extra half hour for wrestlers and parents to get there due to the weather. And you have to allow for scratches that just takes time, If you have never put a sub district or district tournament on you have no clue of the work that goes into holding one. They did the best they could and over all it ran smooth! There was some great wrestling and I think we need to thank the Goodland wrestling club for the work that they did do not the mistakes that were made that just couldnt of been helped!

Re: Goodland Thoughts [Re: wrestlemom33] #165828 03/21/10 04:15 PM
J
JJD Offline OP
OP Offline
J
This is a District event weigh-in should have been limted to 1hr instead of 2 on the day of wrestling. Dont just give yourself 1hr to adjust to changes in track wrestling. Us and many otheirs adjusted to the weather that never happened, which is OK this is district show up or dont move on drove in 2.5hr. Hosted numerous tournaments and helped with many otheirs, so I know what it takes to host not in the dark there. Only saying facilty was not big enough for the amount of people. Wrist band were not enforced to be on floor. Wrestler did an awesome job. Everyone put out 100% good luck next week.

Re: Goodland Thoughts [Re: JJD] #165838 03/21/10 05:04 PM
MATT-FAN Offline
What facility in District 4 is big enough unless Hays uses the Gross Memorial Colliseum, I've been to them all and Goodland has a nice facility, it has hosted many disttict 4 tournaments and usually everyone has been out of there by 5:00. As far as delays in weigh in and start times I do beleive the person in charge of District 4 suggested it might be a good idea to do so. What tournaments other than state do you find that they enforce wrist bands on the floor, Even at the Western Kansas Classic they were not enforcing them. I agree they should.

Re: Goodland Thoughts [Re: JJD] #165911 03/22/10 12:02 AM
B
Bronco Wrestler Offline
B
Originally Posted By: JJD
Wrist band were not enforced to be on floor.

Ask that to the few "coaches" that I asked to return to the seats, due to not having a wristband.

I would like to thank the Goodland Wrestling club for the announcements about either having a wristband or being in the stands or you were going home. It made the area around my mat controllable (I was on a corner mat) and it wasn't too bad.

Out of all the facilities I have officiated in, the Goodland facility isn't too bad, but facility isn't nearly as important as management.

Just my opinion, Alex

Alex R. Ryan
KSHSAA Official #15616
USAWKS Official #707

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 206 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,969
Posts250,407
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)