Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Am I setting up #165853 03/21/10 06:06 PM
I
IndoTypeS Offline OP
OP Offline
I
I'm curious if I'm setting my child up for failure. This is his first year wrestling, he wrestled with the middle school and decided to join club starting at sub district. He ended up winning the sub and taking second in District. He has a little over 3 months experience and it showed in the finals of Districts. He was out matched and now he is moving on to state and I'm wondering will I kill his confidence if he goes in to state and gets dominated? I can't stand to see him struggle but he lacks the technique that I'm sure he will face in state. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Am I setting up [Re: IndoTypeS] #165854 03/21/10 06:17 PM
BLT Offline
Just let him know that he has already exceeded you expectations and everything from here on out is a bonus. Then sit and watch all the great wrestling that takes place up there. Let him see what a few more years of hard work can bring him. Make it a very positive experience and you will get a positive result.

Re: Am I setting up [Re: IndoTypeS] #165855 03/21/10 06:18 PM
PatrickCavanaugh Offline
In my opinion, he eared the right to be there. He should go. Someone on this forum posted it's not losing it's learning. If he doesn't make the finals stay & watch it was very motivating for my son his first year at State.

Patrick Cavanaugh
785-249-3440
Re: Am I setting up [Re: PatrickCavanaugh] #165856 03/21/10 06:25 PM
I
IndoTypeS Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Thanks for the encouragement, for some reason I'm more nervous then he is going in to any of his matches. He is really motivated and determined but a real technical wrestler crushes his spirit. It will be a good learning experience for him and he should learn a ton. Thanks again.

Re: Am I setting up [Re: IndoTypeS] #165858 03/21/10 06:54 PM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
remind him that he has only been at it for a short time, and that there is hard work ahead, but that you believe in him, and know he can do it. good luck at state!!!

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Re: Am I setting up [Re: HEADUP] #165860 03/21/10 07:20 PM
C
Crash99 Offline
C
IndoTypeS, keep encouraging "Sindo"! He is a great asset to the team and his work ethic is greatly appreciated. I know my son enjoys working with him at practice and even though he has only been wrestling for 3 months total now, I see that he has great potential. If he gets discouraged at the State tournament, remind him that he is in the top 16 of the entire state of Kansas in his age/weight. His technique will come with teaching and practice and with his willingness to listen and learn that I have already noticed, I believe that he will be able to catch up technique-wise to those kids that can beat him now. The State tournament is not only a great place for the kids to wrestle and win, but they also develop great friendships from all over the state and can learn things even from watching other wrestlers from the stands. Let Sindo know that he has already exceeded expectations by making it to the State Championships, now we will work on getting his technique up to the level that he feels it needs to be through his hard work and willingness to learn.

Craig Gash
Derby Wrestling Club
Tournament Director

Last edited by Crash99; 03/21/10 07:21 PM. Reason: spelling

"Everything we do should be for the future of our children."
Re: Am I setting up [Re: Crash99] #165863 03/21/10 07:33 PM
I
IndoTypeS Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Thanks Craig, I know he loves it and I'm sure that wont change no matter the outcome of next weekend. I just wasn't sure if he is ready for this level of competition. We are just learning the sport and we love the mental and physical toughness it takes to have success. The way he struggled in his last match just raised questions in my mind but the only thing that matters is he still says he can beat anyone on any given day...and that is the most important part. This weekend will be a great challenge and learning experience. Thanks again.

Last edited by IndoTypeS; 03/21/10 07:34 PM.
Re: Am I setting up [Re: Crash99] #165866 03/21/10 07:53 PM
P
plumgang5 Offline
P
We had a similar experience with our son. As a first year wrestler, he placed 1st at District and so was seeded at State. We were brand new to wrestling and had never been to a tournament bigger than District. While the desire to do well was there, our son was overwhelmed with nerves after seeing how huge the Expocentre was and didn't sleep a wink the Friday night before. His lack of sleep showed the next day when he lost to kids he normally might not have lost to. And I was worried that he might lose his confidence and not want to continue wrestling. But, he's now in his 4th year of wrestling, and I'm happy to say that we are headed to our 3rd State tournament. He is better at dealing with the nerves and the skills he didn't have the first trip to State are developing more and more every year. I have seen kids, even MS kids, wrestle for the first time and do very well at State. It is amazing how a kid who works hard and puts in the time can progress and does catch up with those who may know a few more moves now. Good Luck this weekend! If you haven't been to a big tournament yet, you're in for a treat.

Re: Am I setting up [Re: plumgang5] #166016 03/22/10 04:19 PM
B
Brent Lane Offline
B
Let him go and plant the seed for the future. This is what state is like, enjoy it, compete, have fun.

"If it is to be, it is up to me!"
Re: Am I setting up [Re: Brent Lane] #166089 03/22/10 09:14 PM
W
Warriordad Offline
W
My son wrestled 7 years before he made it to Topeka. Did well, as far as I'm concerned, placing 6th. This year he qualified for HS state as a freshman. Went two and out though. His coach said when they went to the arena, my boy turned white as a sheet! Kids state is a much bigger tournament than High School, so I'm not too sure why he got the butterflies there. He had a great expierence and is ready to go back. We'll see you all in Topeka!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 254 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,964
Posts250,402
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)