Wrestling team jumps into top 20 with win against Hastings
By Chris Duderstadt
Published: Thursday, February 10, 2011
Updated: Thursday, February 10, 2011 22:02

The Baker Orange

The Baker University wrestling team is starting to get respect from the rest of the nation by being ranked in the top 20 after only two years of existence.

The Wildcats entered the rankings at No. 20 after defeating No. 20 Hastings College 33-13 Friday in Collins Center.

"I think Baker really put it together, and we didn't let anything get to our heads," sophomore Parker Owen said.

Baker got out to an early 12-6 lead before the dual started due to two Hastings wrestlers and Baker sophomore Jarid Price forfeiting their matches.

Hastings closed the gap, 12-9, after Jarrod Wiens defeated BU freshman AJ Gassman, but that was as close as it would get.

BU won five of the last six matches, including pins by freshman Josh Haugen and sophomore Jarell Price.

"Josh Haugen at 133 (pounds) stepped up and turned the momentum for us with a pin, and I think that changed the dual right there when he got the pin," assistant head coach George Roath said.

The members of the team that did not compete Friday went to the Missouri Valley College Open Saturday in Marshall, Mo.

"We wrestled well," Roath said. "A few kids went 3-2 … we were just trying to get some kids some growth and experience to help them develop and build toward next year."

The tournament featured some of the best teams in the region in No. 5 Missouri Valley College and NCAA Division I teams Kansas State University and the University of Missouri.

BU received some unexpected news that its dual against William Penn University, Wednesday in Collins Center, would be canceled due to inclement weather. The dual was supposed to be a rematch from earlier in the season. BU won the first matchup 24-18 Dec. 7 in Oskaloosa, Iowa.

Wednesday was also scheduled to be senior night for Andrew Hurla and Levi Calhoun. Even though the William Penn dual was canceled, the senior night ceremony will be rescheduled.

"I was actually pretty upset about it because I was excited to wrestle in front of a home crowd," Hurla said.

Baker's final dual of the year will be against Newman University at 2 p.m. Sunday in Wichita. It is BU's last competition before the NAIA Central Regionals at 9 a.m. Feb. 19 in Marshall, Mo.