Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
State Survey is out again #243568 01/23/17 08:14 PM
S
smokeycabin Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I am not sure who all gets it - I think if you have a card and an email
you should have received it today.

Last edited by smokeycabin; 01/23/17 08:15 PM.
Re: State Survey is out again [Re: smokeycabin] #243569 01/23/17 08:17 PM
S
smokeycabin Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I think the first one had 6 questions - this time there are 7 questions.

1. Do you feel the USAWKS folkstyle season is:
Too Long
Too Short
Just Right
2. Do you favor having the state folkstyle tournament earlier in the year?
Yes
No
No Preference
3. Would you support moving the Kansas Kids State Tournament series to an early date on the calendar (such as February or early March)?
Yes - February
Yes - Early March
No
No Preference
4. Should USAWKS add the 6&U age division to the Kansas Kids State Tournament series?
Yes
No
No Preference
5. Knowing that there is no facility in the state that could handle the 6U age group added to our current state tournament format, if we added 6U which option would you support:
Create two tournament series (for example: 6U, 8U, 10U in one and 12U, 14U, and HS in another).
Lengthen the current format by adding an additional half day to the weekend of wrestling.
Other (please specify)

6. Would it be feasible and supported by you to have the 6U, 8U, 10U age groups complete their state series in February?
Yes
No
No Preference
7. Do you think that the physical size of a district and the travel required should be a consideration in setting district boundaries, or should the only criteria be the number of participants?
Physical size of the district is irrelevant, use only the numbers of participants in setting boundaries
Physical size of the district should be a partial consideration
Physical size of the district should be a significant consideration
No Preference

Re: State Survey is out again [Re: smokeycabin] #243570 01/23/17 08:40 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Are we going to keep surveying people (many of whom don't bother to show up at the state body meeting), till we get the answer some desire?

Re: State Survey is out again [Re: sportsfan02] #243573 01/23/17 10:02 PM
D
Daniel DRW Offline
D
Unless the majority of club representatives show up at the state body meeting things are going to happen that "some" desire.

I made a push to change the most recent district boundaries last year and although a majority of the people in attendance supported it there wasn't enough to get the 2/3 vote required.

The majority can have a say but they have to stand up and be heard regardless of who or what may be said about them. Otherwise a small group will make the decsion for the majority that doesn't want to participate in the process.

Re: State Survey is out again [Re: Daniel DRW] #243578 01/24/17 12:34 AM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Originally Posted By: Daniel DRW
Unless the majority of club representatives show up at the state body meeting things are going to happen that "some" desire.

I made a push to change the most recent district boundaries last year and although a majority of the people in attendance supported it there wasn't enough to get the 2/3 vote required.

The majority can have a say but they have to stand up and be heard regardless of who or what may be said about them. Otherwise a small group will make the decsion for the majority that doesn't want to participate in the process.

That is somewhat a different issue. I believe that the only people who's opinions should count are those that bother to show up to the meetings.

Re: State Survey is out again [Re: sportsfan02] #243580 01/24/17 01:59 AM
D
Daniel DRW Offline
D
Originally Posted By: sportsfan02
Originally Posted By: Daniel DRW

That is somewhat a different issue. I believe that the only people who's opinions should count are those that bother to show up to the meetings.

The district lines are different but the process for challenging the decsion of the state tournament COULD be the same.

I don't completely disagree with your thoughts on those who show up but at the same time I think it's best for the state to make a informed decsion that is based on what the majority of the club leaders want. They typically understand all sides of the story and have a good feel for their clubs.

I'm not a huge fan of the survey making the decsion, a weighted impact sure but not necessarily the set in stone majority view. Case in point is a discussion I had with some of my parents tonight. When I answered some of their questions and explained both sides of the theory they said man I wish I would have asked those questions before I answered the survey. Those were parents that have been around awhile, I can only imagine some of the responses from new parents.

Re: State Survey is out again [Re: Daniel DRW] #243586 01/24/17 02:49 AM
B
BigBlue6 Offline
B
Take the damn high school division out of the kids tournament, and while your at it realign the age groups more like the neighboring states so most kids are in the second year of 14&U in eighth grade.

The opinions herein are Mr Bluel's alone and are not that of OSHS, Falcon Empire or any other entity
Re: State Survey is out again [Re: BigBlue6] #243717 01/26/17 09:21 PM
S
smokeycabin Offline OP
OP Offline
S
These two threads are related

Re: State Survey is out again [Re: smokeycabin] #243742 01/27/17 07:23 PM
Havensville Wres Offline
Would be nice to get it. did not recieve again this year...

Re: State Survey is out again [Re: smokeycabin] #243743 01/27/17 08:39 PM
L
L.Geyer Offline
L
Does these surveys go out per card holder? Or per email address. I have a few Families that have 2, 3 or 4 wrestlers competing in the club and they only get one survey, therefore the number of surveys compared to number of card holders is not going to be accurate. Also do members with coaches cards get these? I am a coach that has no kids Wrestling and I did not receive the survey. Just a few questions if we are wanting this to be an accurate survey of how these changes may affect families and wrestlers.

Lance Geyer

Re: State Survey is out again [Re: L.Geyer] #244062 02/05/17 01:35 PM
L
L.Geyer Offline
L
I am going to bump this this thread back to the top, as my questions never got answered. Maybe they were overlooked or maybe they were ignored, but either way it would be nice to have a survey that is actually taking an accurate pole. I have talked to a few other clubs and they have had the same issue as our club with not getting surveys as well.

Lance Geyer

Re: State Survey is out again [Re: L.Geyer] #244063 02/05/17 01:44 PM
Cokeley Offline
Originally Posted By: L.Geyer
Does these surveys go out per card holder?

The survey was sent to EVERY card holder's email address if uniquely provided. Some clubs have chosen to list only one email address but we encouraged them to use the individual's email when signing wrestlers up this year.

Or per email address. I have a few Families that have 2, 3 or 4 wrestlers competing in the club and they only get one survey, therefore the number of surveys compared to number of card holders is not going to be accurate.

This is correct but I promise there are not any families with 100 members so the less than 10% response rate based on total numbers is still a strong showing of apathy.

Also do members with coaches cards get these? I am a coach that has no kids Wrestling and I did not receive the survey. Just a few questions if we are wanting this to be an accurate survey of how these changes may affect families and wrestlers.

The survey was sent to every member who listed a valid email address. The survey was set to permit only one response per email address.

Lance Geyer

I responded in red. The bottom line is we are not getting responses. With the advent of social media, snap chat, facebook, twitter, etc. the forum has lost its readership. People are overwhelmed with email these days so it will take a focused effort on the part of coaches and club directors to push the parents to respond.

I do want to thank all of the 700 plus who did take the time to respond to us.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: State Survey is out again [Re: Cokeley] #244067 02/05/17 03:40 PM
L
L.Geyer Offline
L
Thanks for responding Will. But I still feel this is not a very accurate way to get members feedback, as families with multiple kids in the club generally are not going to provide multiple email addresses. For example I have a family with 4 members in the club and they got 1 vote, and another that had 3 members. That is 2 votes for 7 members so talking percentages that is only 28% of the votes they could have submitted.

As far as coaches and club leaders encouraging parents to submit their surveys we did this at every practice, and we had many members come to us and say they never received surveys. I too wish that families would be more invested in determining the future of Kansas wrestling and filling out a simple survey. I do not know the number of my club that submitted the survey, but I do know that members are frustrated with feeling they are not being heard with the inaccuracies of this survey. I have heard these same frustrations from coaches and other club members from across the state.

Lance Geyer

Last edited by L.Geyer; 02/05/17 03:56 PM.
Re: State Survey is out again [Re: L.Geyer] #244068 02/05/17 04:06 PM
Cokeley Offline
Originally Posted By: L.Geyer
Thanks for responding Will. But I still feel this is not a very accurate way to get members feedback, as families with multiple kids in the club generally are not going to provide multiple email addresses. For example I have a family with 4 members in the club and they got 1 vote, and another that had 3 members. That is 2 votes for 7 members so talking percentages that is only 28% of the votes they could have submitted.

As far as coaches and club leaders encouraging parents to submit their surveys we did this at every practice, and we had many members come to us and say they never received surveys. I too wish that families would be more invested in determining the future of Kansas wrestling and filling out a simple survey. I do not know the number of my club that submitted the survey, but I do know that members are frustrated with feeling they are not being heard with the inaccuracies of this survey. I have heard these same frustrations from coaches and other club members from across the state.

Lance Geyer

A family should only get one opinion submitted not one for each member of a family, yet and still I challenge your math. You pointed out one example. Many families have one wrestler. Lets say we agree with your math, then we should be getting 2800 responses.

I have read and reread your post. You are being critical of an honest attempt to get information in a usable format. You site hearsay and call the baby ugly without providing a single other option or method to utilize... and please explain how a survey can be "inaccurate" when it is an accumulation of the opinions submitted? I struggle with that word.

I am going to get some additional data to provide...How many emails we reached out to... but I am going to have to state that we NEVER intended to get an email for EACH wrestler but we did want emails to contact wrestling FAMILIES not just a club director. It would not be acceptable to have KIDS responding to the survey!

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: State Survey is out again [Re: Cokeley] #244070 02/05/17 04:10 PM
Cokeley Offline
4600 plus email addresses were sent a link to the survey...

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: State Survey is out again [Re: Cokeley] #244075 02/05/17 05:49 PM
L
L.Geyer Offline
L
I am not saying anyone is being dishonest, and I wish I had an answer for a way to get an improvement on the response on the surveys, but you know as well as I do there is no way to do that unless we make each family do a survey before they are allowed to sign up for a club. At the state body meeting I thought it was said that a survey was going to go out per card holder number if an email address was provided. I may have misunderstood but I don't believe they said anything about per family. Sorry if I misunderstood. Also as I said earlier some of my families reported they never got the survey period and yes they did provide an email address as we had computers set up at our sign up for them to enter them into a spreadsheet for us. You say I site hearsay, but I represent my club on my reports. I simply said I have talked with other clubs, and I am not going to say any of their names on a public forum without their approval. If they want to speak up I would encourage them to do so.

4600 emails sent and the small number of response is ridiculous and yes ultimately it would have been nice to get 2800 responses but that hasn't happened.

This survey talk is really a mute point now as the results are out. I really do wish their was a way to get the whole states opinion and not just a few invested families with the future of Kansas Wrestling.

Lance Geyer

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 213 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,956
Posts250,393
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)