Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D1 Bracket Changes for Subs #18227 03/14/06 03:39 PM
T
T Huck Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Does anyone know why the brackets for 10U 120 changed so many times during the morning of subs?
At the seeding meeting a wrestler was seeded at 110 and at subs he was on the 120 bracket. It was changed to where he was on the 110 bracket (which is where his coach had him seeded the week before, then he showed back up on the 120 bracket. Not only that but he gained the 1st seed in the 120 bracket (he was not seeded at the seeding meeting for 120 but was the #2 seed at 110). Did this all change because the club he was from already had a wrestler at 110 or was it just a mistake at the seeding meeting. I always thought there was no changes after the seeding meeting so why was there a delay in starting wrestling on that mat?

Re: D1 Bracket Changes for Subs #18228 03/14/06 04:16 PM
Mark Stanley Offline
In D1N we had only one change at this age and weight. It was a scratch the day of the tournament. So, I am assuming you are talking about the D1S??? It is my understanding that changes after the seeding meeting can only be made for administrative errors on the part of the host club running the tournament. I would think in most cases such admin errors would be caught before the day of the event. We had several change requests made after the seeding meeting in the North which were denied for this reason. I had one angry parent in the North who didn't understand why they weren't allowed to move a weight class the day of our tournament.

Re: D1 Bracket Changes for Subs #18229 03/14/06 04:19 PM
Sudawn Bradley Offline
It was a mistake at the seeding meeting. He was sent in at 120 and has wrestled 120 all year. He should have been seeded at the seeding meeting as #1 at 120. For some reason, at the seeding meeting they had him down for 110 - this was not a change requested by the club rep at the seeding meeting.

The club called on Monday after the seeding, as soon as they realized there was a mistake...it was agreed there was a mistake and the brackets were changed to put the wrestler in the 120 bracket. Hence the reason the brackets that were sold had the wrestler in the correct 120 lb bracket and he made weight at 120 - and he was not on the 110 brackets that were sold. Apparently at the coaches meeting someone complained and stated the wrestler's weight had been changed at the seeding meeting to 110 and that he should not be allowed to go back to 120. Apparently the sheet that someone had from the seeding meeting for that wrestler had the 120 crossed out and 110 written in - as stated above this change was not made at the request of the club rep at the seeding meeting - the wrestler was sent in at 120.

The wall and table brackets were again changed to show the wrestler at 110 instead of 120. As soon as it was realized that the brackets had the wrestler back down in 110 - the club reps and Pittsburg officials started trying to sort through the mess. The result was a long delay...but ultimately, the wrestler was placed on the bracket he needed to be and as the #1 seed on that bracket.

There was discussion that whenever a weight change is requested, at the seeding meeting or just anytime after the initial sheets are sent in, that a notation be made of when and who made the weight change request. I think this is an excellant idea.

Re: D1 Bracket Changes for Subs #18230 03/14/06 04:43 PM
Mark Stanley Offline
It does sound like an admin error…

However, I did have a coach from the South watching the 110-130 brackets pretty close for me. I observed the list going into and coming out of the seeding meeting. The boy was “typed” in at 110 going into the meeting and he came out of the meeting with no changes as the #2 seed. Too bad the club reps didn’t catch it at the meeting and the controversy could have been avoided. The first thing I do before going to the meeting is make calls to all my wrestlers to make sure they have no change request…I make it clear where they are entered and that they will be locked in throughout the entire qualifying series. Upon arriving at the meeting I review the list for clerical errors and get them corrected before making any other changes. If all clubs took the time to do these two steps we could avoid such problems described above.

Re: D1 Bracket Changes for Subs #18231 03/14/06 04:51 PM
Sudawn Bradley Offline
Agreed, Mark. It would have helped if the club rep had caught the clerical error, but he didn't. That part of the club's process needs to be reviewed also.

Re: D1 Bracket Changes for Subs #18232 03/14/06 04:55 PM
T
T Huck Offline OP
OP Offline
T
This could have been avoided if the club rep. would have brought it up at the seeding meeting. Instead he got the wrestler seeded at the #2 seed. This to me is a conscious decision made at the seeding meeting by the club rep. But then to move him to the #1 seed at 120 after the seeding meeting. Was any of the coaches for the other clubs this involved get a call? or was it just a matter of lets see what happens. I think the bracket was correct if he was seeded at 120, but the way it got there could have been avoided.

Re: D1 Bracket Changes for Subs #18233 03/14/06 06:12 PM
Sudawn Bradley Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by lazy:
Was any of the coaches for the other clubs this involved get a call? or was it just a matter of lets see what happens. I think the bracket was correct if he was seeded at 120, but the way it got there could have been avoided.
I know there was at least one other club who had a kid in the 120 bracket that was involved in the discussions between the club and Pittsburg admins - There may have been others also...my son doesn't wrestle the 120 bracket, so I am not sure who all the players were. My son is just a practice partner for the wrestler involved.

Re: D1 Bracket Changes for Subs #18234 03/15/06 03:35 AM
2coach Offline
did he win the 120 bracket?

Re: D1 Bracket Changes for Subs #18235 03/17/06 12:37 AM
S
signalman Offline
S
this happened in D4, the kid was moved after the seeding meeting, it was caught after the wrestling was done, and the kid was Disqualified and couldn't go to districts, as it should be. Juby gave them a chance to let the kid move on to districts, but he would have had to prove beyond a dought, that he would have made wieght at his original wieght, and he couldn't. had he been able to prove his wieght and since that wieght only had 2 wrestlers in it he would have been given 3rd in his original wieght class and be allowed to move on

Re: D1 Bracket Changes for Subs #18236 03/17/06 02:57 AM
M
mike fairleigh Offline
M
How do you get moved AFTER the seeding meeting? I used to go those things and it took a long time, but eventually the brackets were done to everyone's (sometimes grudging) satisfaction and we all went home. It would seem highly irregular to me that the brackets could be changed after all those who may have had an interest in how the participants were seeded left and no one would be there to have a say over the bracket. The whole reason that people drive up to 200 miles to that meeting is to see that their wrestler is bracketted in a fair manner and has a chance to qualify on par with his ability as judged from his overall record, who he beat, who beat him, etc. etc. Seems like if the bracket can be altered by someone after the meeting is over then why have the mettings at all? I would think that would have caused no small amount of hard feelings amonst the coaches that bracketted their wrestlers according to the existing rules.

Re: D1 Bracket Changes for Subs #18237 03/17/06 03:32 PM
T
T Huck Offline OP
OP Offline
T
The wrestler did go on to win at 120 lbs (but seeded at 110). Would the outcome be different if he had wrestled 110? Ask the 5th place wrestler from South D1. I think he would have liked going to the dist. championships. The question still remains why did the district let him move after the seeding meeting. Even if it was a typo the club spokesman at the seeding meeting (who seeded 2 kids at 110) should have been speaking up then. So for an adults mistake we take a week of wrestling from the 5th place wrestler. This does not effect me or my wrestler but could in the future if the district changes it rules and guidelines.

Re: D1 Bracket Changes for Subs #18238 03/17/06 06:35 PM
Sudawn Bradley Offline
I have never been to a seeding meeting and am not exactly sure how they work. I was told that the coach didn't actually "seed" the wrestler at 110 that that was done by the rankings on those wrestlers - the 1st seed was ranked as a 10, the wrestler in question was ranked as a 9, everyone else in that bracket was ranked a 6 or below.

It would have been nice if the clerical error had been caught by the rep before the start of the seeding meeting, but it wasn't - the club needs to look at how their reps are checking this information for future years. But, it was my understanding that moving a wrestler after the seeding meeting is allowed as long as it was a clerical error - just not an error on the part of the club that submitted the forms.

Re: D1 Bracket Changes for Subs #18239 03/18/06 04:02 AM
T
TAKE IT2 THEMAT Offline
T
The Qualifying entry form with the parent’s signature is the master. All the typed index lists used for bracketing and seeding are over ruled by the signed entry form that has the wrestlers weight listed. Further if any weight changes are requested a new form signed by the parent and club director is required. This form puts all the responsibility on the parents versus all the tournament officials and club reps. The error should have been caught by a club rep prior to seeding. Not all clubs are represented at these seeding meetings, and if they are sometimes they don't have enough help to catch it during the seeding process. There are 5 age divisions to seed and they are done simultaneously, which means you need 5 club reps if you have kids in all age divisions. Sounds like the right thing was done in this case and the wrestler was not penalized by a clericl error by one of the volunteers helping to make this possible.

Re: D1 Bracket Changes for Subs #18240 03/18/06 04:56 PM
ltrain Offline
There was an error on an 8&under bracket also sent in by the club rep, where the wrestlers weight was listed wrong and after discovery on the Monday following seeding, the club rep was told no changes regardless. By the way, this was also in district 1.

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 310 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,964
Posts250,402
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)