Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Bob Phillips pulls a fast one #40715 02/24/05 02:11 PM
RedStorm Offline OP
OP Offline
Read this article about the supposed number 3 ranked wrestle at 189 lbs. in 4A. I did not move him out of Number 1, so that leaves only one suspect.....

By Brent Maycock
The Capital-Journal

Two would seem like a pretty good number for Holton junior Jesse Strawn.

Strawn qualified for the state meet in each of his first two years. Not only that, each of those two trips resulted in a spot in the final two, wrestling for a state title.

But that's where Strawn's fondness for No. 2 ends. You see, both finals appearances ended in second-place finishes and being No. 2 just won't do this year.

"I'm not going to be satisfied with anything less (than winning state)," said Strawn, who lost to Abilene's Ross Taplin both times in the title match -- 5-3 as a freshman and 7-4 as a sophomore. "I'm extremely motivated."

That motivation has shown. After going 35-2 as a freshman and 37-2 as a sophomore, Strawn has rolled through the competition this year. He's 36-0 with 31 pins. His closest win was a 3-2 decision over Sabetha's Allyn Plattner, the top-ranked 215-pounder in Class 3-2-1A.

That match saw Strawn wrestle up a weight, which is a switch from past years for him. In each of his first two years, he's cut serious weight to get down to 152 as a freshman and 160 as a sophomore.

"I've been sucking 10 pounds usually and I'm not doing that this year," Strawn said.

This year, Strawn has stayed at his natural weight. Instead of eating sparingly and wearing only a smile while weighing in, Strawn now eats normally and weighs in fully clothed. He's noticed a difference.

"I feel like I've been stronger throughout the season," Strawn said. "(Cutting weight) took away some strength and a lot of times I felt I was tired."

Holton coach Marion Howerton also noticed a difference in Strawn this year.

"I think he's just kind of matured a little bit, too," Howerton said. "He's gotten smarter and his offense has gotten more diverse, kind of like (former Wildcat state champion) Ryan Phillips a few years ago. He can take you down or he can throw you.

"Before, I really thought he was a great mat wrestler. Now he's gotten to the point where he's taking down the best kids in the state."

The road to the finals isn't easy. After being ranked No. 1 all season, Strawn fell to No. 3 this week behind Douglass' Abe Kersting (30-1) and Eudora's Josh Barr (34-4).

After opening with Parsons' Brett Ross, Strawn could get showdowns with fifth-ranked Ulysses' Ryan Seger (26-3), in the second round, and then Kersting in the semifinals. That's just fine with Strawn.

"You have to beat the best to be the best. If you don't, no excuses," Strawn said. "I know what it takes and what you have to do to get there."

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill DeWitt
Wrestling Fan
Re: Bob Phillips pulls a fast one #40716 02/24/05 05:18 PM
J
jmadden Offline
J
It seems to me that Strawn is a lot taller this year and really knows how to use the height to his advantage. How much did he grow since last year?

Re: Bob Phillips pulls a fast one #40717 02/24/05 05:35 PM
C
CoachEd Offline
C
Nice write up. Good Luck Jesse. The Edisons from Wichita are rooting for you.

Re: Bob Phillips pulls a fast one #40718 02/24/05 05:57 PM
B
bobphillips Offline
B
Hey sorry coach I just put in what I thought you had on that one page. I am getting old and do make mistakes sometime.

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 254 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,964
Posts250,402
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)