Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Forum Posts #58384 01/21/05 02:22 AM
dalefish1 Offline OP
OP Offline
I’m concerned:

I wonder about the writings on the wrestling forum, one wonders if a visitor to the forum might think that wrestlers and their supporters might be suspect as to Basic English.

I would like to bring back Mr. Garker and Mr. Cennings and their movement for proper spelling and use of grammar.
It would appear that on the forum U means you, are means our, their, they’re, and there are interchangeable. Check this post out – a quote from Mike Church Sr. Only one example:

“Not anything like the Ali Frazier fight at all!!! Not even a good comparison. I suggest getting the vidieo of the boxing match. It was a bloody high intensity dogfight to the last second of the fight. I'm not saying to great wrestler's didnt meet at Newton but I am saying it doesnt compare the Ali vs Fazier”

Mr. Church Sr, What is “vidieo”, and what is “to great wrestler’s”
TO, TOO, and TWO have different meanings. Does “Fazier” (Last line of quote) refer to a boxer named Frazier?

At least Cennings and Garker used correct spelling and grammar.

No Child Left Behind

Re: Forum Posts #58385 01/21/05 02:27 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
Go to a tournament that has wrestling, more than likely you'll find some dumpy old rancher in overalls that can't speak english to save his hide, some people are just trying to keep it that way on the forums as well.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: Forum Posts #58386 01/21/05 02:33 AM
Noble130 Offline
lol very true. oh yea, i think no child left behind is an idea in the right direction but its a crock

*sigh* tech college is such a drag
Re: Forum Posts #58387 01/21/05 05:31 AM
M
Mike Church Sr. Offline
M
dalefish 1,
your english is excellent. your a scholar my man.but at least my message got your attention. like i said. maybe poor english and spelling but not as ignorant as the comparison of saying cornejo vs grater was like ali vs fazier. ali vs frazier was one hell uv a fight cornejo vs grater look like a jv match to me.

Re: Forum Posts #58388 01/21/05 06:08 AM
LancerM Offline
Since when did Jhris care about spelling and grammar?

Re: Forum Posts #58389 01/21/05 08:48 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
dalefish1 is absolutely correct.

A few spelling and grammatical errors may be acceptable.

While I certainly hope this is not the case, a number of the posters do not appear to have passed elementary school spelling and basic English.

A case in point, read the post regarding the Wichita Eagle and you will discover "responce(s)" where responses is correct, "or better yet feel free to search the Ks. Coach's Wrestling Assoc. (KWCA)", which should read Kansas Wrestling Coaches Association, and "gaurentee" where the appropriate word is guarantee.

This post is from a teacher at a public high school.

When I receive business communications with spelling and grammatical errors, I immediately disregard the communication as I do not wish to do business with any individual or company which employs an individual which can not pay attention to the minor details.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Forum Posts #58390 01/21/05 12:47 PM
Shane Koranda Offline
Im hear four yuo too tak watevr pop-shoots mak yoo fiel bettr.

Richerd

Shane Koranda
Towanda, Ks.
Re: Forum Posts #58391 01/21/05 12:51 PM
Noble130 Offline
lol :p

*sigh* tech college is such a drag
Re: Forum Posts #58392 01/21/05 02:50 PM
C
chsparent Offline
C
Richard:

Shouldn't can not....be cannot?

Re: Forum Posts #58393 01/21/05 02:52 PM
C
chsparent Offline
C
maybenot.

Re: Forum Posts #58394 01/21/05 03:58 PM
P
P. Pitbull's Old Dog Offline
P
Man you all getting mean and personal. I was just stating that the grater and cornejo match were big names not the actual action, as I had said in the post I did not see the match, maybe I should have said the Ali vs. Holmes when Holmes simply out boxed Ali. I just believe points do not equall excitement in a match the battling does!!!!!!!!!!!!

Head Coach - Peterman Pitbulls
Re: Forum Posts #58395 01/21/05 05:15 PM
Dingbat Offline
Wartialartsmrestler--
You do make some very valid points. However, anyone who spells "you're" as "UR" is a total dingleberry, no matter what the context.

Congrats, Aquinas!
Great job, Hat Town!
Salyer Rules!
Re: Forum Posts #58396 01/21/05 05:15 PM
KCWrestlersMom Offline
I think it's just a little disheartening to see so few people who care what their posts look like. Sure it's just a post and an occasional typo or incorrect choice of word is no big deal, but if I am going to put something out for the world to see, I would like to project my best image.

During an instant message conversation, where things are written and disappear shortly thereafter and you know who will see what you wrote the scenario is a little different, but many people of all ages and from all walks of life see these posts, and sadly, many of our students (and adults, too!) are not concerned about reflecting the intelligence and knowledge they do possess but rather utilizing the convenience of "casual rules".

Re: Forum Posts #58397 01/21/05 11:37 PM
M
Mike Church Sr. Offline
M
Mr. Koranda,
Is Richard still mad at you because of a bad call. I sure hope he doesn't hold a personal grudge because of South High's football record for a few years. Hey Richard u aint mad at me cause of my spelling our u. dalefish1 is I think. Hey Shane did you see any of the matches in Newton? Send me an e-mail sometime.

MIke Church Sr.
No child left behind
Don't leave no retired ole farts behind either :-)

Re: Forum Posts #58398 01/21/05 11:52 PM
James Joyce Offline
I have to agree with the original poster, a Mr. dalefish1. The butchering of any language is both grotesque and idiotic. It does not take an exorbitant amount of time to press "y-o-u," instead of "u," and it should not be too difficult to decide which version of "to/too/two"
one should use.

...yes I said yes I will Yes.
Re: Forum Posts #58399 01/21/05 11:56 PM
Prant Garker Offline
Wow. FaleDish1 is a man after my own heart, with his starting of a topic dedicated to grammar and spelling. As we all know, I did indeed finish 2nd in the Theodore Roosevelt Elementary School spelling bee in the 1996-1997 school year, so I'm pretty much a world authority on the topic of English. That being said, here are my two cents...

Hey, we all make mistakes. I myself have made many a forum typo, and thankfully these have been pointed out by English whizzes such as MancerL. The point is this: when mistakes are made, there is an "edit" button with which you may correct them. It's the little pencil/paper icon, right next to the quotes...and it's really quite easy. Please, my friends. Use this button. It should become your greatest Forum Friend.

I understand that people are not always great with their English. However, I find it unacceptable when a high school senior--who will no doubt graduate at the end of the year--can not make the distinction between to/two/too, there/their/they're, or your/you're. For criminy's sake, guys, you're 18! You can go to war! That means you can be in charge of bombs and planes and other expensive goods! Learn how to spell basic stuff! (*Note: When a teacher makes many spelling mistakes in their posts, it makes me bash my head against the desk repeatedly. So, Oldies, please check your spellings*) I find it funny and extremely ironic when people who want to "Make English our national language" can not even use it themselves.

On the issue of UR, OMGS, U, etc...good gravy, my friends. Who are you, 8th grade girls? You'll note that whenever a cheerleader posts on here, it reads something like this:

"OMG u guyz. Who do U think has the hottest ch33rleaderz? Lol, LYLAS!"
--DerbPanz2hot4u6969

That's fine. They're girls. Whatever. However, as tough, gladiator-like competitors, all wrestlers should conduct themselves in a manly manner. To say "U" or "UR" automatically reduces your level of manliness, and therefore, the manliness of our sport. So you can use "UR" and "wuts up wit that?"...just know that you look like a Hillary Duff fan when you do it. (Who knows, you probably are one.)

Okay, that's all for now. Remember: Be cool, stay in school, don't do drugs, and don't end a sentence with a preposition.

Until next time, this is the 1996-1997 TR spelling bee runner-up saying, "Happy Spelling!"

Re: Forum Posts #58400 01/22/05 12:53 AM
D
DerbyWrestlingCheer Offline
D
I believe I've used proper grammar in all two of my posts. The Derby Panthers reference was unnecessary. We don't care which squad you, or anyone else may think is hot. However, I do think that some of you should lighten up a little on the whole grammar issue. Who really cares?

Go Panthers!
Re: Forum Posts #58401 01/22/05 01:39 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Church Sr.:
Mr. Koranda,
Is Richard still mad at you because of a bad call.
I have never been "mad" at anyone.

Quote:
I sure hope he doesn't hold a personal grudge because of South High's football record for a few years.
I hold no "personal grudge", and the football program at South High School, which has absolutely nothing to do with this Koranda, has had their share of disappointments for longer than I can remember.

Quote:
Hey Richard u aint mad at me cause of my spelling our u.
Why would I be mad at a loyal and dedicated fan such as yourself. I will say I was disappointed by your comments regarding the Eagle coverage of the Newton Tournament of Champions. You and I have been involved in this sport for over twenty (20) years, and the Eagle coverage has ALWAYS been disappointing at best. The Eagle is attempting to increase the area coverage this year and there have been several small feature articles on the dual of the week (Kapaun vs. Northwest, Kapaun vs. South, South vs. Northwest, etc.).

The Eagle has also provided brief articles on Joseph Cornejo and Patrick Mosley. Not too many years ago, this coverage was unheard of. Would I like the coverage to be better, absolutely. Each of us had to learn to crawl before walking, and the Eagle is making very small strides to increase the coverage.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Forum Posts #58402 01/22/05 02:09 AM
Prant Garker Offline
Ha, myyyyyy mistake. Sorry to Ms. DerbyWrestlingCheer. I didn't intend to make fun of Derby in particular, they just came to mind. Weird how that worked out.

On a more complimentary note, I don't know if the tradition has continued, but we always looked forward to wrestling in meets with Derby, due to the hotness level of their cheerleaders. (And because we beat them. Swish.)

Re: Forum Posts #58403 01/22/05 02:28 AM
dalefish1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Prant:
Who won the spelling bee? Was it Wyler?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 228 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,950
Posts250,386
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)