Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: College Bound Seniors #64426 03/12/05 02:41 PM
B
Bronco Wrestler Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Mike-

3 weeks huh? after I went out for a visit to Colby and talked to Coach Lampe & Voss, they just said they needed some 125/133 kids next year. I know what it's likes get pounded every day, I don't care it's all about the love of the sport. As for a scholarship I don't really care, I don't need it, I have enough scholarships now to basically give me a full ride so the not getting one will not mean anything to me. The whole no varsity comment maybe so, but in a program that lacks great depth in the lower weights, why not take a chance and help push someone, gradually I will become better and more adapt to their style, and will not be a "pushover" to them. I sat and talked to Voss for quite a while, and he basically told me that if I don't get a scholarship and I wrestle behind everyone all the time it doesn't matter, I will still travel to open tournaments and other tournaments. Mike it comes down to me to a couple of things,
1) Love of the sport.
2) Realizing that they need help and willing to put fourth my best effort to try and help a needing situation, even if I get no noticable rewards out of it, I get the satisfaction of knowing I did it, giving 100% all the time.
3) Just trying it, if I quit at least I know that I wasn't near good enough/or didn't like it enough to keep going in College, something I want to try so I know.

Alex Ryan

Alex R. Ryan
KSHSAA Official #15616
USAWKS Official #707
Re: College Bound Seniors #64427 03/12/05 03:23 PM
mikeholliday Offline
Ok Alex..nicely said and good luck. See ya here in Hays for the Ft. Hays Open. Earl Jones will be a tough first round draw.

Mike Holliday
Re: College Bound Seniors #64428 03/12/05 04:20 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Earl won't be there Mike, he's a sophomore isn't he? and he's 133, I'll drop 125 i'm only like 137 so it's not that bad, but I don't really mind, it's all about love for the sport as I've said, but Thanks whether it sarcastic or not, I'll see ya next year.

Alex

ps. I haven't fully decided if I want to wrestle or not yet, I'm considering it right now.

Alex R. Ryan
KSHSAA Official #15616
USAWKS Official #707
Re: College Bound Seniors #64429 03/12/05 05:13 PM
F
Fossil Offline
F
Yea, I give alex till the first Tournament, Because I kno He wont be able to hack it in college. He couldnt hack it in High School. Most good wrestlers place at State or Maybe win a State Championship, but did Alex ever do any of those, I dont think so. So Alex a opinion of advice...Your Wasting your time. Im gonna Miss David and You making an *** out of yourselfs on the High School Forum...I thought it was always funny how David and You would talk crap on the forum about how good you guys are but when it came down to it..You guys sucked...Well Have Fun in College not Hacking It.

Re: College Bound Seniors #64430 03/12/05 05:17 PM
F
Fossil Offline
F
All David and You would talk about How you guys are State Qualifiers and stuff like that but it dont matter if you qualify for State it's wether you place or not..Because some regional each year is real easy and some are tough but the ones I have seen that Russell goes to are pathetic of competion..When You guys go to a tough tournament with real competion you guys Choke..So maybe I guess you guys like making an *** out of yourselfs on the forum..

Re: College Bound Seniors #64431 03/12/05 05:23 PM
B
blue Offline
B
Well just because my brother might not be up there in all the state rankings and mabe place at state doesnt mean that he doesnt lack the potential to be a great wrestler someday... but even now he is pretty decent wrestler. But even if he isnt on varsity he'll still enjoy bein out for wrestling and yea so what it might be tough and everything else but my brother loves this sport more than you guys think..... and i belive that he has a will to keep on this sport through out college.

Re: College Bound Seniors #64432 03/12/05 07:11 PM
Computerized Shoes Offline
Fossil is a momma's boy.

Taggin' for Tyler
Re: College Bound Seniors #64433 03/12/05 08:05 PM
B
blue Offline
B
yea he sounds kinda like it

Re: College Bound Seniors #64434 03/12/05 10:53 PM
A
acbulldog Offline
A
Mike Holliday is a joke come on now your from Hays after all what are they good at. Nothing thats my point, and at most junior colleges that you go to, they are gonna give you some type of help books or whatever.

Re: College Bound Seniors #64435 03/12/05 11:11 PM
wrestler17105 Offline
how about you guys quit knocking on people for at least trying. that's better than some other people can say. we are all at least willing to try and be competitive and help train the other guys. and there are also some kids that aren't very good in high school but just explode on a collegiate level. so how about you stop knocking someone for being willing to give everything he's got for a sport he loves. all i've known is wrestling and if wrestling in college is the only way to do it scholarship or not. than i'll do it.

Everyone needs an inspiration like Tyler. He fought harder than anyone ever has on a wrestling mat and it was for his life.
Re: College Bound Seniors #64436 03/12/05 11:40 PM
B
OP Offline
B
I guess the saying you can't knock a guy for trying doesn't apply?

Alex R. Ryan
KSHSAA Official #15616
USAWKS Official #707
Re: College Bound Seniors #64437 03/13/05 12:45 AM
LancerM Offline
I admire you for trying Alex. Good luck man.

Re: College Bound Seniors #64438 03/14/05 02:51 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
Quote:
Originally posted by mikeholliday:
You'll better love wrestling to wrestle in college. Unless you finish H.S. on a GREAT note, you won't get scholarship'd. 3-4 weeks of gettin' pounded on for no money and no chance to make varsity make even great h.s. wrestlers quit. What else could you be doing in college?....homework, parties, girls, hangin' with friends, etc. I applaud anyone willing to walk on to a wrestling team. But Alex...I love you man and hope you prove me wrong, but walking on to CCC'S wrestling team and gettin' the tar beat outta ya everyday - i give you 3 weeks.
Alex,

I'll put some faith in you for the simple reason I walked on to the UCO wrestling team that finished 3rd, 1st, 1st in my 3 years of eligibility I had. I stayed on from begining to end and found a spot (albeit a brief one) on varsity and lettered for the Bronchos. Stick around long enough and people will get hurt and some will just quit, don't be the one that quits midseason.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: College Bound Seniors #64439 03/14/05 03:41 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks Aaron, What you just said makes a lot of sense and put into words what I wanted to say but didn't because I'm just a HS Senior, not a College wrestler that did what I want to do, you just gave me the hope that I wanted/needed to be successful. I know I am not a 4x HS placer or even 1x, but I am a person that doesn't give up, after being JV my freshman year and under .500 i could have rolled over and settled for mediocrecy, but instead i pushed for what i wanted and become something.

Aaron you don't realize it but you've already made a connection with me that I cannot repay you for, you have already givin me the courage to try what i want, and also shown me that no matter what comes your way to never back down

Mike i know that i am not a great wrestler, just a little above average at most, but i am willing to try for something i know is a little out of reach right now, but what about a year from now? with that year of experience in me? all i'm saying is that just because i'm not Josh Baldridge, Simon Orozco, Tait Weatherbee, or Aaron Ellison means that i probably won't be as successful as they may in college, but at least i'm trying and that's all i can do. right?

fossilman if you want to bag on me and my teammate(s) that's fine, but at least have the decency to sign your name at the end of the post. I know i have said somethings that i now regret sometimes, but usually all it is my opinion and guesses on things, not talking smack but just voicing my opinion, if you want to keep talking about me that's fine, but at least sign your name as it shows your character if you don't

Alex Ryan

Alex R. Ryan
KSHSAA Official #15616
USAWKS Official #707
Re: College Bound Seniors #64440 03/14/05 03:42 AM
mikeholliday Offline
Aaron...how'd you do in high school?

Mike Holliday
Re: College Bound Seniors #64441 03/14/05 04:27 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
I never qualified for the state tournament. I was 31-59 or something like that for my career. I did post some big wins in duals and also in regionals, but couldn't quite finish things. My senior year I wrestled after having a lump removed from my groin area only 2 days after surgery and managed to have the stitches pop when an opponent threw the legs in on me. I didn't ever want to abandon my teammates even if it meant given up weight or health. I was a better radio announcer though, got a KAB award for that!

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: College Bound Seniors #64442 03/14/05 01:15 PM
R
Roark Offline
R
Nick Zahm Will Be Wrestling At 149 At Labette Next Year.

Re: College Bound Seniors #64443 03/14/05 01:48 PM
Dr. Bailey.... Offline
G Spot

Member # 5366

posted March 11, 2005 01:57 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I agree with Mike Holliday. If you are not given a scholarhip, you shouldn't wrestle. What kind of chances are you going to have against the guys that are on scholarhip? ZERO. You're just going to get beat on everyday.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although not all the negative quotes in here are the same, they are all ridiculous. If you truly love the sport college is the ultimate experience. Yes you will have to battle, BUT you will learn more in a couple of weeks than you did in 4 years of high school. While I was at Labette we had several guys wrestling our #1 spots that hadn't won state, much less multiple times. Just curious but does anyone know if Aaron Meister won state any back in High School??

Don't argue with an idiot, people watching may not be able to tell the difference."
Re: College Bound Seniors #64444 03/14/05 02:00 PM
VS Vike coach Offline
G-Spot -- Only someone who does not have the slightest idea what they are talking about would make a comment like that

Good dreams don't come cheap, you have to pay for them....
— Harry Chapin, 1976
Re: College Bound Seniors #64445 03/14/05 02:15 PM
J
jse Offline
J
It's not where you start but where you finish,goodluck and enjoy the journey.Lifes biggest regrets come not from what you do but from what you don't do."GO FOR IT"

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 275 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,964
Posts250,402
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)