Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Salina Journal All-Area Team #74497 04/05/02 02:56 AM
W
WrestlingFan3645 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
I was just wondering where I could find the Salina Journal All-Area Team at on the internet. I have been looking and so far I have failed to find it yet. If someone could help me it would be very helpful. Thank You

Re: Salina Journal All-Area Team #74498 04/05/02 03:06 AM
C
Casual observer Offline
C
I do not think that it is on the webb. I call the journal and they told me the team would be featured in this coming saturdays paper. After that it might be on the webb. Thanks and hope that helps.

Re: Salina Journal All-Area Team #74499 04/05/02 03:20 AM
W
OP Offline
W
Yes that does help a lot. Thank you so much. Your help was much needed.

Re: Salina Journal All-Area Team #74500 04/06/02 12:48 PM
C
Casual observer Offline
C
I must say, there are an awful lot of very good wrestlers in the journal today. I do however have to take exception to the 130 pound class, which I might add was loaded with talent, as was several of the other weights. I cant believe that Travis Martin was in the honorable mention group of guys. This is why he should have easily been on the second team if not the first team. Look at his record 40 and 2, look at the second team record with four losses, three of those losses came at the hands of Martin, Zouzas also had two losses, but at least ten fewer matches than Martin and would have wrestled Martin twice this year if he had not been injured. Zouzas lost to Grater and Martin beat him, go figure. I know some will say Zouzas was sick or hurt and I do not dispute that. Most wrestlers have wrestled hurt or sick several times this year including Martin. Look close at the evidence, Martin also had double the pins of Zouzas. I may be a proud father venting a little but somebody got shafted.

Re: Salina Journal All-Area Team #74501 04/06/02 06:50 PM
R
Results God Offline
R
I don't think anybody got shafted. There is a first and a second team. Two of the wrestlers were state champions, they deserve first and second team. Period. Sure, Martin beat Johnson during the regular season, but it is the state tournament that everybody points to all season. They just want to be ready for state, and at state it was Johnson that won, not Martin. Martin had an incredible season, but when it mattered the most Johnson got the victory fair and square.

Re: Salina Journal All-Area Team #74502 04/06/02 07:13 PM
C
Casual observer Offline
C
Yes Nick won fair and square, that is not the point that is being made. Also I noticed some of the first team selections did not win the state tournament. If the whole criteria for this is based on the state tournament then there is a problem. THe rest of the season counts. Look at all of the criteria not just one tournament. Just my opinion. I take nothing from these other atheletes. THey have all worked hard and have all accomplished so much. Many of these wrestlers will tell you that they were in much tougher tournaments than state. I just dont think whoever makes these selections took a good hard look at ALL the criteria. If someone knows, they might leave a message as to what exactly is the criteria for the first team, second team, and honorable mention. PLEASE NO TRASH TALK.
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Salina Journal All-Area Team #74503 04/06/02 11:16 PM
W
wrestlingfan333 Offline
W
Your right, Zouzas did lose to Grater at the Beloit tournament when he was throwing up which was his only loss of the season, but the week before he beat him at the Newton tournament. "Go figure." Also, Lien happened to beat Johnson at the East/West classic who Martin happened to lose to when it counted.

Re: Salina Journal All-Area Team #74504 04/07/02 02:31 AM
C
Casual observer Offline
C
I thought they all counted. Otherwise we should start keeping records at the qualifiying events and just call the rest of it practice. Listen all of the guys are good, very good, and hard to make a decision. Any one could beat the other on any given match. If this was a horserace it would have been a photo finish.Still would like to know the entire criteria for the selection process. THANKS!!!!!!!

Re: Salina Journal All-Area Team #74505 04/07/02 03:09 AM
R
Results God Offline
R
Have you called the people at the Salina Journal to ask them what the criteria is?

Re: Salina Journal All-Area Team #74506 04/07/02 01:57 PM
C
Casual observer Offline
C
No I have not called the journal, but I did send and E-Mail. I am not trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill here, I am just stating my opinion. I just dont think they looked very hard. THANKS!!!!!!!

Re: Salina Journal All-Area Team #74507 04/07/02 05:17 PM
M
Mike Holliday Offline
M
Martin didn't win State. Zouzas and Johnson did. N'uff said

Re: Salina Journal All-Area Team #74508 04/07/02 05:43 PM
C
Casual observer Offline
C
Just a casual observation, but I think that Gardner from Lincoln won state and the Norton kid took third, yet the latter was on the first team. Yes I know he beat Gardner earlier, but I guess that does not matter, someone once said.
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Re: Salina Journal All-Area Team #74509 04/08/02 03:15 PM
F
Fan3 Offline
F
I wouldn't get too excited about the Salina Journal's choices. I happen to agree with their choice at 130. However, a certain amount of this is simply hype, politics, and good for newspaper sales. Over the years I have seen a number of kids who truly should have been represented on teams the Journal selects - who were not. The best measure of a kids year (whether wrestling, football, basketball, etc) is not what the Journal thinks. The criteria for success is the same whether you finish first in state, or not, did you do your best and did you accomplish all you were able to. To allow a newspaper to determine the value of a kids efforts is probably not best.

Re: Salina Journal All-Area Team #74510 04/08/02 04:10 PM
L
Les Brown Offline
L
not to mention that Saline County residents usually get the benefit of the doubt in the poll!

Zouzas is a good example, but in 1987 Lance Shepard of Hoxie beat Wes Harding (SE Saline)in the 3-2-1a state finals - which was the only meeting between the two. But the Salina Journal placed Harding on their 1st Team and Shepard on their 2nd Team. Controversial win? Probably - especially from Saline County's perspective - but it was a head-to-head win for Shepard none-the-less.

Moral of the story - subscriptions pay the bills for a newspaper and you can bet that Saline county athletes are going to get the benefit of the doubt - because Saline County boasts the largest circulation rate of western Kansas communities.

Re: Salina Journal All-Area Team #74511 04/08/02 07:53 PM
S
skunkkiller Offline
S
martin is much more than an honerable mention wrestler, he beat johnson a 2 time state champ, he beat him 3 times in a row, he also beat grater who beat zousus, yea, lien beat johnson, but he only won by 2 points, whippy, lets see lien do it two more times now, it would be a different outcome, zouzus and martin never wrestled, however grater beat him and martin beat grater, whether he was sick or not it doesn't matter, sickness is not criteria for all area wrestling, a loss is a loss no matter how u look at it, 3 of the 4 losses of johnson were from martin, martin ,lost once to johnson and once to mcreynolds whick doesn't matter, whether it should have been zouzus or martin? who knows, but one of the two should have been second team, johnson most definetly should have been an honorable mention

Re: Salina Journal All-Area Team #74512 04/09/02 02:04 AM
W
wrestler_1 Offline
W
I realize that placing at state is probally the main criteria for getting on the all area squad but i would have like to seen Brandon Hickel from Trego and Reidel from Quinter on there. They both had outstanding years and they both beat O'brien from Oakley who was the state runner up. but the fact remains that the all area team is good publicity for wrestling. Just my opion. thanx

Re: Salina Journal All-Area Team #74513 04/09/02 06:24 PM
N
NOTDawson 54 Offline
N
4A state was much more difficult at 160. Haussermann soundly beat Gardner at the last tournament for regional, so I doubt he improved that much before state. Haussermann had also beat Schenk, the 321A runner-up approximately 4 times.

Re: Salina Journal All-Area Team #74514 04/09/02 08:15 PM
W
OP Offline
W
I think the Salina Journal did a great job on picking the best wrestlers. The choice at 160 was correct. I got to see Hausserman wrestle at the Panther Classic when he wrestled Gardner. It was a great match and Hausserman came out on top. The choice at 130 was correct as well. I was in favor of the choice. Same with the choice with Travis Martin as honorable mention. He did have a great season, I won't take that away from him, but he talked about himself way too much and thought he was almost untouchable and I was glad in seeing Johnson beat him at State. I enjoyed watching it and I'm sure everybody else did as well.

Re: Salina Journal All-Area Team #74515 04/09/02 09:21 PM
J
J.D. Offline
J
JUST A GUESS! But maybe the Journal was
having just as much a debate over this
as you are. Who beat who, here and, who
beat who there. Who lost when they were
sick, and who just got beat. MAYBE, just
a guess here, but maybe Martin just lost
the coin toss on who was 1st, 2nd, or HM.
130 was tough across the board, they are
all outstanding.

Re: Salina Journal All-Area Team #74516 04/09/02 11:51 PM
C
Casual observer Offline
C
Hey wrestlingfan3645, just wondering why you enjoyed Nick beat Travis at state, and why you think everyone else did as well. I happen to know Travis very well, and I was not aware that he was saying anything about being untouchable. We really need to keep the put downs off of here and just keep the talk to opinions without any putdowns. We are talking about a group of very good atheletes here and lets keep it fun. By the way who are you and where are you from? Thanks!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 233 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,969
Posts250,407
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)