Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
School Publications #79360 02/10/06 03:26 AM
dLancer Offline OP
OP Offline
I was just curious to see how the schools around the state write about their wrestling teams
within their school newspapers.

Last week in my school newspaper had an article about how wrestlers do not diet in a healthy manner. The article bashed on the whole scheme of things. And earlier tonight I found out that the yearbook is planning on having an article about crash diets and are looking for outrageous stories.

You would think that the paper and yearbook would rather cover how the team has been doing throughout the year and point out individual highlights.

Just wondering what everyone else thought.

Re: School Publications #79361 02/10/06 03:37 AM
Topazwrestler Offline
I think that is awful schools should support their athletes

Hi drew

Re: School Publications #79362 02/10/06 04:53 AM
RedStorm Offline
I would ask your head coach or some other team official to approach the journalism teacher and student editor-in-chief and demand a formal apology. Wrestlers, yes we have the occasional McDonald's still have better eating habits than 95% of your school.

If this was a case where a student happened to miss a lunch because of a weigh-in and the result is a story that blew it out of proportion, I would be irate!

Bill DeWitt
Wrestling Fan
Re: School Publications #79363 02/10/06 07:39 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
I would say put them up for defamation of wrestling character on behalf of the wrestling community.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: School Publications #79364 02/10/06 12:41 PM
S
Scooby Offline
S
I believe one of the bigest problems is that the wrestlers themselves try to impress people and say haven't eaten in a week because they have to make weight. We all know this isn't true. If a wrestler would eat health and stay in tip top shape year around the weight cutting wouldn't be an issue. The wrestler need to start letting people know the true facts about wrestling eating habits. I had an orange for breakfast, 3 oz of meat and one serving of veggie for lunch and a salad for dinner. I ran 5 miles after practice to loose excess water weight because I am drinking plenty of water during the day etc etc etc.

I hear it in our school all the time and I get upset but the kids are not telling the truth most of the time. Now also tell the public that if you didn't eat to make weight- once you did you gorged yourself like someone that has never seen food before and after the season you have unhealth habits. I have heard of kids going to a fast food place and seeing just how much they can eat- this is not health. If wrestlers would stay lean and health throughout there life and eat right- diet right and be on a exercise program they wouldn't have to crash diet

my 2 cents worth

Re: School Publications #79365 02/10/06 12:52 PM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
When I was in college the School of Sports Medicine tested all of the sports teams in stress test, cardio work outs, recovery rates, etc. Guess what sport tested highest in total physicall fitness. Yep - you guessed it Wrestling. I'll bet if they tested the band memebers and the debate team that their diet habits and physical fitness is just a tad bit lower than the wrestling teams. I would send them some fact based data.

Re: School Publications #79366 02/10/06 01:19 PM
jumpin jack flash Offline
Typical media. Of all of the good things that our country and our military are doing over in Afganistan, how often do we hear about it? Instead we have to hear and read about everything else. Media people like to cause controversy and it sounds like your school newspaper is doing just that. I would hope the adminsitration would not allow such a story to be published.

Re: School Publications #79367 02/10/06 11:37 PM
L
LancerLou Offline
L
This subject prompted me to stop being a "guest" and finally register. My son was interviewed for his school newspaper on this subject. He is very fortunate to wrestle at what must be his "natural" weight. He eats healthy all the time (hasn't had pop in 2 years) and the most he does to make weight is to eat breakfast after his weigh-in instead of before. Of course, the paper did not include any of his comments or experiences. If it isn't negative or controversial, they don't consider it newsworthy. Frustrating to everyone who loves wrestling!

Lou Ann Baker

Re: School Publications #79368 02/11/06 01:03 AM
M
Mike Church Sr. Offline
M
If they did total physical fitness testing on journalist I beleive they would at least find theese two things.
1. Excessive fat around the lips and fingers
2. Weenies that dare not mouth off to a wrestler to his/her face.

Re: School Publications #79369 02/11/06 02:39 AM
C
Campus130 Offline
C
I do not believe our school paper has not done any articles about our wrestlers at all. In fact the Wichita area has the Instant replay weekly sports paper and they rely on the school Prep editors. Our editors have not done an article on our wrestlers the whole year, but then our local newspaper has only done one article this year. I believe they think that our basketball teams are more important.

Re: School Publications #79370 02/11/06 02:55 AM
W
wrestlmom12 Offline
W
Hummmm!!!
What's different?
Oh by the way my husband thanks your an idiot.

Re: School Publications #79371 02/11/06 04:14 AM
5465 Offline
What about the wrestling section on high school web sites? While some do a super job, I find that alot have not been updated with current information, sometimes for a couple of years. Those same schools seem to update their other sports stats regularly, namely basketball. If the wrestling community wants stop the declining numbers out for our sport and turn popular opinion, we need to make sure that our schools information technology departments give attention to all athletic endeavors equally.

Re: School Publications #79372 02/14/06 05:01 PM
G
gutwrench1 Offline
G
As a high school student we ran into similar problems and found this to be an effective way to handle it. You want to work with your journalists offering them full access to your program. It's like making them embeds. Journalists love that stuff. To begin with turn up the stereo quite loud. Invite the journalist who wrote the story into the room. Ask the writer if one of the smaller wrestlers could walk him through some technique to give him a better understanding of the sport. Have a teammate hold his pencil and notebook. With his permission proceed to shake hands with the light weight, toes on the line. The light weight will snap the journalist's head and change levels. Shoot a double leg. As he cuts the the corner be certain his head is high, ear to ribs, looking up across the journalist's back to his far shoulder blade. You want your journalist to experience nothing but the best that your sport has to offer. Hands are behind the writer's knees. The light weigth does not stop moving his feet as he drives through your journalist at a 45 degree angle. Quick, choppy steps are a must. Lift your journalist's hips high into the air and put him down with authority. Do not slam your newspaper writer. Demonstrate the bar arm series--double bars, bar w/half, bar with wrist to tilt. By this time your writer should be somewhat lose and his shoulders tiring. Do not allow your journalist to lose consciousness. The music should keep his sounds muffled. From here, both legs are in and it's time to demonstrate the reverse cross face...your light weight will simply lean out over your journalist reaching across to his far arm, his tricep shoves the writers face over his shoulder. Your light weight will pull up forcefully above the journalist's elbow using both hands. Don't forget to have the light weight arch his back while both legs are in. Remember you're helping your journalist feel as though he was actually in a real match. Naturally, once your journalist is pried to his back the leg scissors are a highly effective teaching method. From here inform the writer that the interview will be concluded when he works diligently for an escape. This valuable experience helps the writer understand how easy it is to lose weight while wrestling. Release your squirming journalist, provide him with a cool drink and a towel and return his notebook and pencil. Invite him back anytime.

Re: School Publications #79373 02/16/06 02:00 AM
dLancer Offline OP
OP Offline
I think that just might do the trick...

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 253 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,964
Posts250,402
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)