Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Playing w/the Cards You're Dealt #82531 02/27/06 11:17 PM
B
bighead Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Another impressive finish for Wichita South. Coaches, you could learn a few things by watching this program. No superstars, no kids champs, no national champs, no transfer students. Most of the kids come from tough up-bringings where extra curricular activities aren't in the budget, hence, no prior wrestling experience. Yet, year after year, this team is one of the top in the state. What's the secret Coach Church?

Re: Playing w/the Cards You're Dealt #82532 02/27/06 11:29 PM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
I'm not Coach Church, but as someone who has seen wrestling all over the place I'd say it's having faith in all the kids and believing in them whether they are the best athlete or the guy that can't tell the difference between a high crotch and a cradle. It's the extra step of caring that carries athletes like those, and I believe a lot has to not only deal with the coaching, but the fact these "kids" want to move on to bigger and better things, so success will possibly pay for a better future.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: Playing w/the Cards You're Dealt #82533 02/28/06 02:14 AM
M
mikechurch Offline
M
Quote:
Originally posted by bighead:
Another impressive finish for Wichita South. Coaches, you could learn a few things by watching this program. No superstars, no kids champs, no national champs, no transfer students. Most of the kids come from tough up-bringings where extra curricular activities aren't in the budget, hence, no prior wrestling experience. Yet, year after year, this team is one of the top in the state. What's the secret Coach Church?
The secret? Well, you said it right, you can only play the hand your dealt! I love each and every one of those young men like they are my son. People ask me why I am not married. I usually give this answer... how fair would it be to a great woman to be with me when I leave the house at 6:00 a.m. 6-9 months a year and don't come home until 6:00 or 7:00 at night every night. Tournaments all day saturday... dual nights are 10:00 nights. When I get home, I watch film, read, study the sport. Wrestling is my passion and my life at the present time. I want to have 1/2 the impact all of my coaches had on me! I preach the team as a family. To most of these young men, it's the only family they have. I love them and enjoy all my time with them. I even enjoy the times I want to kill them. I wished it was year round! Give me any kid with passion and desire to be tough... beginner or not and I can promise if he does the right things... he can be a champion in the end. Maybe not a state champ, but a champion in my eyes, his families eyes, and most importantly, his own eyes!

Thats the secret.... be flexible but harsh with them. Be gentle yet hard on them. Try to know them, as well or better as you know yourself. It's also a two way street. Each year, they make me a better person!

Good job Wichita South Titans: And good luck to you seniors in your future. State runner-up will be a memory you will have forever and cherish forever.

God Bless and remember:
Phillippians 4:13
"For I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Colossians 3:23
"Work hard and cheefully, at everything you do as though working for the Lord and not man"

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 253 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,964
Posts250,402
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)