Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Wichita Classic & The Risk? #119426 02/17/08 05:10 AM
J
Jeff Smith Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Please help me understand why we continue to put our kids at risk? I know this post will be taken several ways so let me first share that I have tried to reach the Wichita Greater Sports Commission via email & phone and have never heard anything back and now am reaching out to the forum in hopes that someone can justify why I should put our kid’s health at risk by attending this tournament. This event has the potential to be something very special for Kansas and I would argue could rival USJOC but for some reason the WGSC continues to subject kids, families, & coaches to health risk and/or injury. In a nutshell, here were my questions/concerns for the WGSC that have fallen on deaf ears that maybe someone can shine some light on.

1. Why do we continue to put individuals into an environment where the chance of contracting a skin decease is so high? There is no other tournament in the state that has the reputation like the classic and in my opinion is justified.

2. Why do we insist on putting wrestlers on a cold concrete surface covered by aged mats with inadequate cushioning to properly protect our wrestlers?
Again I know there will be several different perspectives of this post but please don’t use competiveness or the rational that every tournament has the same issues. I agree the competition is awesome here but no reason to justify putting KIDS/family/coach’s heath at risk. Secondly, if you don’t think there is a higher risk to contract a SEASON ENDING disease than another tourney please PM me that tourney so I can also rearrange our schedule next year.

Bottom line, I am not on here to bash anyone, my intentions from day one was to help make this tournament the best it could be and to keep our KIDS and families safe! Given the proximity to subs we cannot afford to put our wrestlers at risk and personally feel until the WGSC feels it in their pocket book they will not see the need to change the venue. The Derby Wrestling Club will never shy away from good competition however when the unnecessary risk becomes too great it is time to pass. We will pass this year attending what could be a great tourney in hopes that next year it will be in a venue more accommodating to those that are the most important, the kids!

Jeff Smith
Derby Head Coach

Re: Wichita Classic & The Risk? [Re: Jeff Smith] #119438 02/17/08 08:18 AM
J. Dale Offline
Best post I've seen on this forum in ages.

Well you're just a special kind of stupid aren't you?
Re: Wichita Classic & The Risk? [Re: Jeff Smith] #119468 02/17/08 02:15 PM
T
tachyons Offline
T
Jeff,

What is it that makes the risk of skin disease higher at this tournament than at other tournaments?

Re: Wichita Classic & The Risk? [Re: tachyons] #119486 02/17/08 04:22 PM
H
hardyhar Offline
H
Jeff,

Can you please explain yourself?? As far as I'm concerned, this is the best Kids wrestling tournament in the state. I feel the Sports Commission does a wonderful job of putting this event on and I would encourage anyone to attend. I have been in touch with the sports commission numerous times over the past few years. They always return e-mails and phone calls promptly. Call Brian Hargrove who is the tournament director with the sports commission. You will either talk to him or receive a return call immmediately.

This event is great. The volunteers do a great job of making this the best in the state. I am not sure where you are getting your information.

Re: Wichita Classic & The Risk? [Re: hardyhar] #119488 02/17/08 04:26 PM
O
oldfan Offline
O
I AGREE 100% with "hardyhar" this tournament could be compared with nationals and is very well ran

Re: Wichita Classic & The Risk? [Re: oldfan] #119490 02/17/08 04:37 PM
J. Dale Offline
How about the fact that this is supposed to be a "national" caliber tournament and they run it in a livestock building. No matter how many times they mop the mats the wrestlers walk on the concrete floor and it gets right back on the mats. Or the fact that it is so crowded that you can't move matside and the coaches and wrestlers get walked all over. How about all those people and one bathroom. Just an opinion but if you want to call it a national caliber tournament why don't you start at home and run it like one in the first place.

Re: Wichita Classic & The Risk? [Re: J. Dale] #119493 02/17/08 04:40 PM
D
Disney Offline
D
So Jeff - Why do you do it? The tournament schedule shows at least 2 other tournaments that week. Or why not take the week off? I can't answer why you do it --- only you can.

Re: Wichita Classic & The Risk? [Re: Disney] #119503 02/17/08 05:19 PM
CJA Offline
It will never be a national tournament until it gets a better venue to wrestle in.As a parent myself I would never put my kids in unsafe conditions so if you're worried about it don't go that simple.

Re: Wichita Classic & The Risk? [Re: Jeff Smith] #119524 02/17/08 07:39 PM
F
Feenie Offline
F
I have been going to the Park City Wichita Wrestling Classic for years and I must say the everyone associated with the tournament makes every effort to make it a first class event. I do know that the floor is sanitized by the management at the Kansas Coliseum and every effort is made to make it a safe environment. Via Christi Sports Medicine is on site at all times to ensure safety and care for all of the wrestlers. The mats are first class mats that are used for tournaments throughout the Wichita community all year long. The Sport Commission does take all calls and will discuss issues whenever contacted. There has been 1,200 to 1,400 kids sign up to wrestle each year for the past several years, which makes it the largest one day tournament in the State of Kansas. All in all it is a great tournament, well organized with great competition and an opportunity for young wrestlers to compete against the very best athletes from the midwest.

Re: Wichita Classic & The Risk? [Re: Feenie] #119532 02/17/08 08:34 PM
O
oldfan Offline
O
I think that it would be a MUCH better tournament if they moved it back to the Coliseum, their would be ALOT more space.

Re: Wichita Classic & The Risk? [Re: oldfan] #119536 02/17/08 08:39 PM
J. Dale Offline
1,200-1,400 which is an average of 1300 wrestlers. times $20 per wrestler = $26,000 in entry fees. then add $3-$6 for each spectator. wow. and they hold it in a pig barn. that's treating it like a high caliber tourny.

Re: Wichita Classic & The Risk? [Re: J. Dale] #119547 02/17/08 09:13 PM
Beeson Offline
Horse crap...the kids walk in it and bring it on the mat. That is the risk. What kinds of fungi can a kid get in that kind of environment? My kid has never wrestled at the Classic for that reason. One week before subs, if you get some skin fungus your state tournament chances are over. To me it's just not worth the risk.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: Wichita Classic & The Risk? [Re: oldfan] #119548 02/17/08 09:15 PM
VanFam7 Offline
This tournament holds the same level of risk of injury and skin disease as any other. Just because a floor is concrete and not hardwood doesn't make dirtier. It might even be cleaner! The gym floors probably don't get the disinfectants as often as the horse barn.

Annette & FJ VanAnne
sekcoach@yahoo.com
Re: Wichita Classic & The Risk? [Re: J. Dale] #119550 02/17/08 09:17 PM
Z
Zach F. Dad Offline
Z
From my understanding, the coliseum does not cut any slack on the price for using the arena and the price, to my understanding, is outrageous. This is why the Wichita Thunder almost left Wichita and probably why there was such a push for a downtown arena in Wichita. I agree the venue, for lack of a better word, sucks. I don't think that it's a poorly put on tournament and it does draw alot of comopetition.

Re: Wichita Classic & The Risk? [Re: Zach F. Dad] #119558 02/17/08 09:32 PM
B
bruster6 Offline
B
To be real honest, you can get a skin infection or get hurt at any tournament. Yes, the classic is crowded but we have been to tournaments this year that have be crowded as well. If you don't like the tournament, JUST DON'T GO. It is that easy. I don't think that posting nasty things about a tournament is the RIGHT thing to do. And as for holding it in a pig barn, is there any club out there that can afford the 15,000.00 per day to rent the collisium? I know that our club can't. If it was that bad of a tounament, I really doubt that they would put up the numbers that they do. Just my opinion.

Re: Wichita Classic & The Risk? [Re: bruster6] #119562 02/17/08 09:54 PM
M
master blaster Offline
M
You take your chance in any tounament, so go or dont, it's pretty simple. IMO its one of the few tournaments where most kids are getting alot of mat time and a good tuneup for the state qualifying tournaments.

Who run Bartertown!
Re: Wichita Classic & The Risk? [Re: oldfan] #119564 02/17/08 10:03 PM
bigosteve Offline
Yea I agree, the overcrowding, conditions and all are not the best. I wouldn't say it is the worst in state though. I can think of one other tournament with way too many people, overcrowding, too hot, and very rude workers.

Big ol boys just aren't all that fast, and Yellow and Black is where it is at.
Re: Wichita Classic & The Risk? [Re: bigosteve] #119570 02/17/08 10:48 PM
J
Jeff Smith Offline OP
OP Offline
J
As expected this post has brought several different perspectives and not only is that fine but I think it’s healthy. In response to a few of the comments/questions made here are my thoughts.

RE: Hardyhar – Can you explain yourself??? I am not sure what you are looking for with your question but will offer these thoughts in hopes it clarifies my position. As I stated previously I think this could be a great tourney, something Kansas could be proud of. I have never questioned the competition at this event or the how it is ran. My question is, wouldn’t it be nice if we didn’t have to subject our kids to health issues or injury in order for our wrestlers to test their ability? Is it wrong to constructively ask why are we doing what we are doing and want something better for our kids?

RE: Disney - Why do you do it? First of all, my initial question “Please help me understand why we continue to put our kids at risk? was directed more at the WGSC than anyone. I have made the decision not to participate in this tourney but it still doesn’t change my belief that it could be a great tourney and am willing to challenge the status quo especially when kid’s health is an issue. The replies “don’t like it, don’t go, it is that simple” do nothing to make this sport or tournaments better. If that’s the majority attitude God help this sport.

As far as the health issues in question you can agree or disagree but here are a few things to ponder and possible solutions to calm everyone’s concerns.
Can you catch ringworm or any other skin disease wrestling at any other tourney, absolutely! However, I know of no other venue we wrestle in in the state that holds a horse show the week before we wrestle. I know of no other venue described as:
90,000 sq. ft. of livestock housing area (200’ x 450’)

Special Features
• Portable seating for 2,500
• Seven (7) wash racks
• Convenient water and electrical outlets
• Fourteen (14) large entrance doors (largest 24’ x 16’)Complete paging system
• Fluorescent lighting
• Cattle ties
• Up to 420 horse stalls (10’ x 10’)Up to 216 swine and sheep stalls (5’ x 10’)Up to 384 swine and sheep stalls (5’ x 6’)Truck and Trailer Parking
(Provided by the Kansas Coliseum website)

Bottom line, there are situations when the probability of contracting something are higher than other times. IMO this is definitely one of them! VanFam7 – I totally disagree with you.

If the WGSC feels comfortable with the cleanliness of this facility then why not ask the Wichita Health Department to come in, do an inspection and post their results? This could help calm everyone’s concerns. To my knowledge, correct me if I am wrong, this has never happened.
Again, I am not bashing the workers, volunteers or even the WGSC. I am however questioning that if we are putting kids at risk WHY? And, why not make it the best tourney it can be? If you had an option either to wrestle in a horse barn or, figuratively speaking, across the street in a clean and accommodating venue what would you choose? If the latter, then why not encourage a change?

Wow, way too long of a post, I apologize.

Re: Wichita Classic & The Risk? [Re: Jeff Smith] #119574 02/17/08 11:23 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
 Originally Posted By: Jeff Smith
If the WGSC feels comfortable with the cleanliness of this facility then why not ask the Wichita Health Department to come in, do an inspection and post their results? This could help calm everyone’s concerns. To my knowledge, correct me if I am wrong, this has never happened.

The Wichita Health Department will not be requested to perform an inspection at the Kansas Coliseum and the related Pavilion facilities as they are owned by Sedgwick County.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Wichita Classic & The Risk? [Re: RichardDSalyer] #119580 02/18/08 12:03 AM
J
Jeff Smith Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Good point Richard, how about the Sedgwick County Health Department.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 177 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,977
Posts250,428
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)