And I don't think anyone is worried about a 6 year old being burned out before the end of their first season. Burnout usually occurs after attending 12+ tournaments year after year after year without some breaks in between. Most of this group of 6 year olds will not be wrestling by the time they are 12. The numbers show this to happen year after year. Some will drop out because they just didn't like the sport but a lot will drop out because they get tired of the sport every weekend: aka burnout.

You can't just ask your kids, most kids want to please their parents. So if they think you want them to say "yes! I want to go" that's what they will say even when that is not what they really want. That's why you see some parents shocked when their kid doesn't want to continue in a sport when they get to junior high or high school. To the parents, they are thinking "you use to tell me you wanted to go and you had fun but now you don't want to do it anymore. Why the change?" whereas the child has just grown up and is starting to insert more control over their own life and so feels he can finally say what he really wanted to say a long time ago. Hope this makes some sense.