I feel it is the appropriate time to respond. I am a regular reader, but first and last time poster. First off, it is a shame people get on forums like this, critisizing kids while hiding behind screen names. First lets address Mr. Cokleys concern over Smith Centers strength of schedule. As by all his previous posts, Norton is the only 321A school that steps up. Wresting small Nebraska and Colorado schools will not cut it. I believe that to be an accurate reflection of his posts. If I remember correctly, Smith Center has dualed Godddard, Blue Springs, Abilene, Mannhattan, Kearney Neb, Grand Island High, Montana Sky View.
Goddard 2009, 2010 6A State Champs
Blue Spings- i thought they were a large class Missouri power
Grand Island- 2009, 2010 Class A state champs, state record team points scored.
Kearney-2010 Class A state Rummer up
Abilene-2009-2010 4A top 5

Tounament Schedule includes Colby, Clay Center, Abilene, Scott City which I believe is 3 of the top teams in 4A in 2009,and and 1st, 4th, 5th, and 6th place teams in 4A in 2010.

Before we go further, this is not a plea for being placed on the Fab Five, I could care less about the Chiefs lists. Just an attempt to get Will's shorts out of a wad. I know of no one from Smith Center or affilitaed with SC thats has been on here claiming Colt is better than anyone on the FF. I mean if we hired a world class wrestler to train us, spent10-11 months wrestling,only focused on ONE SPORT, SHOULDN'T YOU BE BETTER, if not, then there would be serious problem. As far as someone on the FF beating 8 state champs. Lets see.

Colt Wins over SC

Houlden - Goddard 2nd 2009, 1st 2010
Seibel- Salina South 1st 2010
Campbell-Oakley 1st 2010
Keiswetter, K-NOrton 1st 2010
Keiswetter, L -Norton 1st 2010
Haas- Silver lake 2 x state champ
Tovar- Emporia 1st
Peters -Augusta 1st
Madl BV 2x state Champ?
Weigel Plainville 1st 2009
Zahorsky-Pburg/silver lake Nebraska Camp all star match
Don't count Kash Biddle 1st 2010, not head to head, Colt just beat the kid from Penn. that beat Kash, Brute
Don't count Devon Frye- Eureka former sc, cause that was not head to head, just was in bracket.

As for his losses at kids, Mainze was his opponent in the finals two years prior to the lose. Colt controlled that match from start to finsih. I felt the rematch was a match he overlooked and took for granted. I believe that was a good lesson for him, no matter who you wrestle, you must be mentally ready.. As for the loss to Hentzen, that was at 135 two years ago. What weight did he wrestle this year? 130 Hentzen looked like somebody cutting from around 145-150, I know Colt weighed 128 when we got home from state. I believe the finalsts at 130 were Campbell and Hood, which Hood won in a close match. Colt pinned and Teched Jace the previous year. He did however get the chance to beat Tovar twice during State series.

I doubt some on the FF know what it is like to finish a 13 game schedule, have your body beat to hell, get seven practices, and step on the mat and beat the likes of Houlden and Strauss, as well as losing a two point match to Greco of Blue Springs. Will indicates we wrestle no one, but isn't Strauss the opponent Ryne faced in his Championship match. I guess we really can't count that as a True State Championship as his opponent does not really qualify as worthy. Colt beat Strauss twice last year, first time at Abeline duals tournament, then at Beloit by Fall. I sure he was a much better opponent when he wrestled Ryne, just not when he wrestled Colt.

As for seeking out the best competition by bumping up to get better competition. What happens to Taylor or Ryne's teammates when they bump up. Does everyone have to bump up, or the teammate above just have to sit out and watch. How does that fit into the team concept. Is seeking out the toughest tournaments in the state what is best for the team. What if your TEAM is young and inexperienced, nothng like a good butt kicking for most of the TEAM so that a few will benefit.

As for choices, WIll is right on. It is OUR choice to compete in three sports. Our choice to do as we choose, no matter how disappointing it may be to him. As someone said, in an earlier post, comparing big schools to small sschools is like comparing appples to oranges. If small school athletes chose to specialize then other programs would suffer, they sure would not be of the quality that the NEW YORK TIMES would want to write a book about. I can not speak for other small school wrestlers, but when wrestling is over, Track starts, if we go to BRUTE or do kids, that means we may get down on the mat twice a week AFTER a two hour track pracitce, and roll around for 30 minutes. I doubt the two Rempes or McCall saw the mat after wrestling season ended until they wrestled in the Senior Classic.

I feel bad for others, who have been brow beat, for simply stating their opinion on the matter, so much for freedom of speech, lest you be taken to the wood shed and put in your place.

I guess what REALLY Matters is, neither COLT nor I are concerned to much about the naysayers. It is what it is, HE IS A 4 TIME STATE CHAMP, the fourth in 321A. I guess will keep him!

MIKE ROGERS