Great to hear your perspective, especially from coming out west to the east. I always liked Wills proposal to add points for duals. Good for raising a fan base, and just out right fun to attend.

I understand coaches wanting to make the most of their points though to get matches. I think SJA, along with some other schools, Baldwin for instance, attend some of the Missouri, or out if state tourneys, that give them lots of good matches. I've just always assumed, mainly from following some of these schools, that's why wrestlers from these teams usually end near the 50 match area, such as your son.

I would thing this is a good thing, barring chances for injury. I am still associated with kids wrestling so I guess my questions is: Do attending these out of state tourneys, with no 5 match rule help our wrestlers more? Or at least give them better experience with different opponents? Something schools closer to the borders can take advantage of, compared to those schools more centrally located.

I guess coming from coaching kids, we've always tried to get as many matches at the toughest kids tourneys to help our wrestlers grow. We still give them some breaks during the season, but even with some weekends off, at this point in our kids season, most of our wrestlers are around 40-50 matches with a month and a half to go. Are we wrong with that mindset? The kids I am talking about are jr high aged wrestlers, anxious to wrestle at the HS level. Thoughts?

Ps: don't mean to jack the thread. Just have ?'S and thoughts going here.

B. Star
Lawrence, KS
Sunflower Kids Wrestling Club
"Rivals on the mat, friends in life"