Offensive Wrestling atleast in my mind is enacted when a westler takes "Legitimate Shots." Meaning he or she, Changes Levels, penetrates, and places the Opponent into a defensive position. Pushing someone around the mat is perhaps "Ring Generalship" and has it's place in a sport called boxing.

I am certainly not advocating an official should call stalling just because another wrestler is pushing another wrestler or charging at his opponent in a wild manner. There is certainly an art to defensive/counter wrestling and it has a place in the sport. We could talk at length about stalling on top/bottom, however those seem to be called a little more actively and I am not referring to fleeing the mat. Just focusing on stalling from the neutral position.

During the 5A Tournament, there was a consolation bracket match that was 6-4 going into the 3rd period. There was a very young Official on the mat and he warned the Wrestler in the lead for Stalling with about 1:20 left in the match. He awarded (1) point with about :35 seconds left and when the wrestler in the lead changed nothing about his approach, he awarded another at :05 seconds left. "An Absolute Awesome Job of Officiating." This lead to a 6-6 OT match. The match was eventually won by the Wrestler who had the lead throughout and rightfully so, he was the better wrestler. Case in point however, "He had to earn his victory."

I would like to have seen this same type of officiating in the finals matches. They were not all this way, but there were a lot of (1) point matches that should have been barn burners but saw (3rd) periods where the most action was when the Official raised his hand with about 20 seconds left to "warn" one wrestler for stalling.

Last edited by Darren Claphan; 02/28/11 07:34 PM.