A simple question: What other coach finished 1st at regionals two years in a row without winning regional coach of the year? How many coaches have started a program from scratch and I mean a bare cupboard in 2007, one wrestler in 2008, and wins a regional championship in 2010 and 2011 finsihes 4th out of 60 schools in 2011 at state. That is called building a program. All anyone had to do was look at Zach Pollom as a FR who had never seen a wrestling match before and then watch him make his way to the state finals just three years later and they would have given him coach of the year without even thinking of anyone else. Honestly, the whole COY is kind of a joke. You can only win if you are a member of KWCA?? The officials award a COY too. What is that for, never tabling an official or being super nice at the table?? Honestly, can we just have a real award with some critieria? I personally go with those who get the most out of nothing or a little. If you have a core of returning qualifiers and placers and you get 3rd, isn't that just doing what is expected? Just like OW, either make the award ojective with some data and put a committee together to determine the winner. Make all coaches eligible.

In closing, Coach Medina is my Coach of the Year, no one else in 4A took one of their wrestlers to the top of the podium four years in a row. Thank you Mike for all of those hours early in the morning, after school, on the road, in the summer and away from your family. Ryne wouldn't have been able to do it with anyone else in his corner.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com