Originally Posted By: usawks1
It is of little surprise that most on this forum would select Individual over Team! But I suggest that a bunch of team coaches would feel that team is more important!

Taking the Devil's Advocate perspective ... let's say a team member is an absolute drut; he slacks in practice, is a negative influence, and barely is meeting the academic standard. Another is a great team member, works hard in practice, and is a stellar student. In the wrestle-off the drut barely beats the great kid and is pompous in his celebration. Who would you rather have represent your team?

Intangibles factor in! I always remember the Scott City Team title without a single finalist!

More later ... I'm on my way to Iola for a MS meet!

Did Drut violate any team rules? Did he meet all of the requirements to be a participant? Then I want him to be on my team and we will address the rest. If he is so bad that he violates the level of decorum that you seek then make the rules and policies strict enough to deal with drut by removing him from the room. That would put the onus on Drut to decide his future not Coach Randy. Use a code of conduct to eliminate the druts and let super good kid know that he needs to work harder or that he might have to go up or down a weight class.

I really don't find anything fascinating about a team that wins without a title winner. So they had a deep line up of average Joes? So what. I would rather see three D1 wrestlers than 14 4,5,6 placers.

Honestly, the methodology we use to call a team the best is super flawed. We should not keep team scores at our state tournaments (Wisconsin and others do not) and best team should be determined by a dual event. Take the regional champs and runner ups and have a dual tournament to see who the best team is. You have a full line up at regionals but at individual state you do not. Coaching strategy and the entire line up come into play then. Individual State is about INDIVIDUAL champions. If you don't crown one then you have failed create a champion and it is laughable that you call yourself the best team.

Last edited by Cokeley; 11/08/11 09:46 PM.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com