Originally Posted By: tbau
Where does it state in the constitution that the state can fine clubs for infractions. This whole thing can be fixed by letting coaches get their cards online through USA Wrestling like every other state in the country does. Why do we continue to go through a club and the state in order to receive a card. Everyone should be able to get online pay their dues and receive their card. this would take the state out of the equation. We wouldn't be paying Kathy to do something that is not needed. It seems like the Juby's and the powers that be in Kansas wrestling have a pretty good deal here. Kathy is already getting paid to process memberships, this is money that could be spent on the kids, now they want to make another 2o bucks by fining clubs that make mistakes. this seems like an abuse of power to me. I think its really stupid that the state body pays the directors wife to process memberships when she can be bypassed altogether and the clubs and participants can get online and order the cards themselves.

This is not in our state constitution, any more than our speed limit is in the state or national constitution. Our team leaders place rules on athletes competing on our regional and national teams, but those rules are not in our constitution. My point is that not every rule requires a change to our constitution. The fine is clearly stated in the registration instructions that are provided to every club.

The decision to handle registrations through our state association rather than via online was fully discussed at the state body meeting two years ago and the vote wasn't even close. As far as saving money, I will remind you (if you were at the meeting, that is) that USAW imposes an additional $5 per card on online registration, so the cost per card would go up to $40.

Concerning the payment that Kathy receives, I would point out that we checked with four other states on how they handle their state offices. All four stated that this position went well beyond what could reasonably be expected from a volunteer position, and all four paid this person. Three of these states did online registration, but they still felt the other duties of the state office required a part-time paid position to insure that the responsibilities were fulfilled. Including Kansas, the states we looked at were the five largest states by membership in USAW (Kansas is the third largest state). Of those other states, one (Missouri) pays a little more than what our board approved for Kathy, one (Wisconsin) pays slightly less and the others (California and Illinois) pay more than double. Because I am the state chairman, I did not vote on either the compensation package or on the selection of Kathy to fill this role, but I did make sure that the decision was fully disclosed to all of our club leaders at the state body meeting prior to implementing the new pay. Finally, on Kathy's behalf I would also point out that she did this job for years as a volunteer before ever seeing any pay.