We (coaches and parents) know its just "kids" wrestling. But to most of these kids each and every match is a big match in there eyes. We ask our kids to give 110% every practice and every match. So I will never discount a match by telling a kid it just "kids". I feel that an official should treat evry match..yes every match, as if it was a championship match. If an official cant do that then take a break and get refocussed. The officials are, for the most part, only ones getting paid. Therefore, I feel they should be the most motivated to give effort and results. If official cant, then find places where matches dont mean anything and all is happy go lucky.
Yes I am a coach, parent, and even an certified official( i do high school down to kids). I feel I give complete effort in all 3 when I am involved in a match. Yes there are times when coaches and parents get zany( I myself a few times..lol) But for an offical to justify by saying "its my judgemnet" will lose credibility. I will always explain.."my judgemnt"..and what I base my call on. If coaches dont agree then I will tell the coach I am sorry and walk away..if I was in the wrong, then if possible we fix it, if we cant then I just apologize for the missed call and work harder to not let it happen again.
I have found that and after talking with other caoches and wrestlers, my style of officaiting is appreciated greatly. I just officaite how I like officails to do. Be verbal during the match(i.e. when awarding pts, counting nearfall, and when wrestlers get in boderline positions and holds). Coaches can hear what I am seeing and wrestlers know when control is gained or when scrabbling is still in neutrality.
Sorry for being so lengthly..but I feel some of this may help...Please get the names out on the "good" refs people like seeing and the likes they do.... Hopefully other will mold into what people like to see.