Originally Posted By: Rford
I officated this weekend with stalling on my mind. It was a JV tournament, though. Even though I was more conscious of it, there wasn't a whole lot of situations where the call was made. There was one tactic I used that worked and I want to pass it along. In the heavier weights, 220 and HWT I told the wrestlers up front that they were required to make every effort to stay in bounds and if they went out of bounds it was stalling and would be called on the wrestler that went out of bounds.

It worked great and I'm using it to keep the action going. Some of the coaches complained that their kid was being blocked and pushed but all the kid being pushed had to do was turn in towards the center and avoid being taken out of bounds. Again, it worked great. After the initial warning I had little clock stoppage and after the first point no one went out again. It was eye-opening for me. And these were JV kids so if they "got it" the varsity wrestlers certainly will. Its going to cause some coaches some angst but its an effective approach to preventing kids from just using the OOB to stop the action. Just in time for the post-season!
To be clear, the referee has NO business coaching ("told the wrestlers up front that they were required to make every effort to stay in bounds,...,") the wrestlers. If the wrestler pushes the other out of bounds, ding him, if the wrestler is stalling, ding him. The referee should be conscious of all the rules, and call all consistently.

Based on what I have read regarding your previous statements in this thread on stalling and this last statement you have competency issues and I question if your are qualified to officiate at any level.

Richard D. Salyer