I am not agreeing/disagreeing with anyone, but LB's data is correct. I counted the same kids with losing records from the 5A state brackets.

There does need to be some sanity brought to the discussion---wins and losses are not the total story. I think most will agree that 5A (and 6A) wrestlers (from the bigger population centers in Kansas (Johnson County, Topeka, Wichita, newton, Hutch, Salina, all "G" towns out SW) wrestle better competition (mainly each other). A wrestler from these schools will certainly have a more balance record of wins and losses. A list of examples from LB's list.
Pacha CARROLL 13-21
Turkali VALLEYCE 20-22
Boone VALLEYCE 23-25
Gray MILLVALL 17-18
Spurlock TURNER 15-19
Garcia EMPORIA 18-19
McCarthy AQUINAS 15-19
Page ACENTRAL 14-21
Ashi EMPORIA 18-22
McGrew ARKCITY 14-18
Gardenhire HIGHPARK 15-17

Probably could add severall others to my list---good wrestlers who met tough competition all year. In fact, I imagine of these wrestlers placed at state!

The problem--one more time--is not the quality of the wrestlers--it the open round byes/the inability to fill the brackets at the regionals---and this is a problem in all four classes in almost all regionals. This is a multipled faceted problem. Several 5A and 6A urban schools do not/can not field complete wrestling rosters (wrestking is not a big inner city sport). Many 4A and 321A are just too small (enrollments) to field complete rosters.

Yes, There are problems. New tournament formats (dual state or Grand State) are not the solutions. Need to get more HS kids on the mats. Need more inner city wrestling clubs (lots of absolutely great elementary and middle school athletes in the cities who need to be introduced to wrestling). Perhaps KSHSAA could relax the restrictions on Co-OPs (let 3, 4, 5 ,6 ?? or more small schools Co-op on one team) with out forcing them into a bigger class (thus increasing the number of wrestlers).

Lots of problems and lots of good ideas how to solve them. Have to look at the big, big picture and then focu on finding a/the statewide solution/s. Just combining on 6a and 5A is not it!

for e

Last edited by Contrarian; 03/01/12 03:52 PM.

Bill Mason Lansing